Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mexico Cancun

Travestandby

Reactions
A place where you fly as long as you want
2c6a85de79f5a56dd0994779742562be.jpg

Reactions: Chadnovz and Rbruz
Great news as i am going to Cancun on the 4th of July.
I have a penthouse suite and plan on getting sunsets and sunrise.
How was the airport, any problems? How did you check your Mavic and batteries?

I have flown to Mexico several times with mavic in backpack with 5 batteries, tsa has never said a thing, nor has Mex on way back.

I called interjet airlines to confirm there drone policy and he said I can not take the batteries at all, but then said to check with the check in counter to see if I could. Return flight is American airlines and there website says the batteries can be 160wh and less. What is the wh of the Mavic batteries.

I called interjet airlines to confirm there drone policy and he said I can not take the batteries at all, but then said to check with the check in counter to see if I could. Return flight is American airlines and there website says the batteries can be 160wh and less. What is the wh of the Mavic batteries.

Way below 169WH off the top of my head your not even over 100 per battery with Mavic

Reactions: phagerman
I didn't go cancun but have flown many times with Mavic batteries just cover the connectors with electrical tape or put them in a loop safe bag!

Reactions: Rbruz and Craig540
You may not be back yet, but when you return, I am interested to hear your experiences as we are going to Playa Del Carmen later this month. Any airport problems either way? Any "new policies" (airline or country) of which we should be aware? Would also love to see your choice snaps.

Reactions: Craig540
I am setting in Cancun as i post this. I flew on Interjet from LAX with no problem at all going threw customs. The Mavic was packed in a case that is very small and carries 3 batteries. I carried it on board and put it on top in the cabin, no problems at all in Cancun customs at all either. My return flight is on American and I will post my experience, I have 5 flights in and two more sets to go tomorrow morning a we will be gone all day on an excursion and leave the next morning very early.
My first day i didn't fly because i thought it was to windy and just feeling the place out, we are in a penthouse with a balcony with an extended roof to fly from. My first flight was from the balcony and i was just testing the windy conditions and had no intention to fly away from the balcony, before i could land the security came and told my wife not to fly from the balcony. The Mavic handles the windy beach weather very well.

That same day in front of our hotel i see a Mavic flying past, i talked to him and wished i had mine with me. All together i have seen 1 Mavic and 1 Phantom. The next mourning i was up for a sunrise flight, it was very beautiful.
Edit__

I made it back with no problems at all with the TSA or Cancun customs.

Attachments

• Cancun.dng sunrise low 2.jpg
    Cancun.dng sunrise low 2.jpg
    616.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Cancun sunrise #2.jpg
    Cancun sunrise #2.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Reactions: Rbruz
You took your mavic pro in interjet in the checking bag or carry on

I am setting in Cancun as i post this. I flew on Interjet from LAX with no problem at all going threw customs. The Mavic was packed in a case that is very small and carries 3 batteries. I carried it on board and put it on top in the cabin, no problems at all in Cancun customs at all either. My return flight is on American and I will post my experience, I have 5 flights in and two more sets to go tomorrow morning a we will be gone all day on an excursion and leave the next morning very early.
My first day i didn't fly because i thought it was to windy and just feeling the place out, we are in a penthouse with a balcony with an extended roof to fly from. My first flight was from the balcony and i was just testing the windy conditions and had no intention to fly away from the balcony, before i could land the security came and told my wife not to fly from the balcony. The Mavic handles the windy beach weather very well.

That same day in front of our hotel i see a Mavic flying past, i talked to him and wished i had mine with me. All together i have seen 1 Mavic and 1 Phantom. The next mourning i was up for a sunrise flight, it was very beautiful.
Edit__

I made it back with no problems at all with the TSA or Cancun customs.

Craig540, GREAT REPLY! Thanks for taking the time to do that! We'll be there in a few weeks, down near Tulum (I understand that there is no flying around the ruins). We rented a house on the beach down that way. Did you find that you pretty much had free range to fly around the beaches (when they were not crowded)? I am also wanting to get some fly over footage of some of the cenotes. Did you do any of that and, if so, any advice?

Craig540, GREAT REPLY! Thanks for taking the time to do that! We'll be there in a few weeks, down near Tulum (I understand that there is no flying around the ruins). We rented a house on the beach down that way. Did you find that you pretty much had free range to fly around the beaches (when they were not crowded)? I am also wanting to get some fly over footage of some of the cenotes. Did you do any of that and, if so, any advice?
I only flew in front of the Cancun Plaza on the beach and no one seemed to care.

UPDATE: Just got back from Mexico. No problems with Mavic pro, controller, three batteries (each in separate lipo bag with terminal covers) in either direction. To be on the safe side, I depleted the batteries before taking them on board. Flew from DFW to Atlanta, then ATL to Cancun (and reverse on the way back). Carried on Mavic Pro and accessories/batteries. Never a single question about the drone or equipment in either direction. We stayed in a private house on the beach about 1.5 hours south of Cancun down near Tulum. No problems flying from the beach, over the house, and over an adjacent cenote. Locals were either a bit curious or indifferent but never seemed put off. I Iiked that there was enough ambient white noise from the wind and the ocean surf that the noise of the drone was unobtrusive. . .difficult to hear from more than, say, 100' away. During our stay, we drove to another cenote where we had to pay admission. There was a LONG list of rules there, but we asked the guy at the entrance about flying the drone over the cenote and he said (in Spanish) Yes, of course (with a smile). So it was welcome but once we got there, it was rather crowded and there were more folks there than I was willing to fly over. I had hoped it would clear out but it didn't, so I didn't fly there. All in all, an uneventful trip to Mexico with the drone and I got some great footage. Now the editing starts! Here's a quick merged pano from our last morning there (taken with PP ND16):

Sunrise Pano Final2.jpg

UPDATE: Just got back from Mexico. No problems with Mavic pro, controller, three batteries (each in separate lipo bag with terminal covers) in either direction. To be on the safe side, I depleted the batteries before taking them on board. Flew from DFW to Atlanta, then ATL to Cancun (and reverse on the way back). Carried on Mavic Pro and accessories/batteries. Never a single question about the drone or equipment in either direction. We stayed in a private house on the beach about 1.5 hours south of Cancun down near Tulum. No problems flying from the beach, over the house, and over an adjacent cenote. Locals were either a bit curious or indifferent but never seemed put off. I Iiked that there was enough ambient white noise from the wind and the ocean surf that the noise of the drone was unobtrusive. . .difficult to hear from more than, say, 100' away. During our stay, we drove to another cenote where we had to pay admission. There was a LONG list of rules there, but we asked the guy at the entrance about flying the drone over the cenote and he said (in Spanish) Yes, of course (with a smile). So it was welcome but once we got there, it was rather crowded and there were more folks there than I was willing to fly over. I had hoped it would clear out but it didn't, so I didn't fly there. All in all, an uneventful trip to Mexico with the drone and I got some great footage. Now the editing starts! Here's a quick merged pano from our last morning there (taken with PP ND16):

View attachment 18263
Awesome image.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7