DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Miami Delray Beach trip... ATC or unlocking needed?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
We are visiting Florida next week and my plan is to bring both my Mavic 2 Pro and my Mini 3. We'll be in Delray Beach for a few days and then staying in Sunny Isles, just north of Miami beach for a few days after that. I've not had a drone in Florida before and am absolutely not sure what to expect or what I want to film. All I know is that there are airports all over the place according to my sectional map.

Any advice on where to fly, where to avoid, interesting points close to these two places. I've not been at the place we're staying in Delray as I have never been there. I've stayed at the same place in Sunny Isles, about a block or so from the beach on the Atlantic.

Any thoughts, tips, etc. If any custom unlocking or ATC auth is needed I'd like to get that done before leaving home. I have had too many bad experiences with DJI geofence unlocking and don't want it to spoil my flights (and my vacation).

You can check the FAA UAS Data Map for any restrictions. Or DJI Geo Zone Map.
That's an obvious suggestion; one that I already knew. I don't know where I want to fly as I'm not all that familiar with the area. I did try to do a custom unlock where I thought I would be and get ATC authorization. I don't know why, but I had issues using Aloft just getting in the general area for LAANC auth. I'm going to have to regroup as something else changed when the app became Aloft (forgot what it was before).

That's an obvious suggestion; one that I already knew.
How does anyone know what you know or don't know? You asked a question and I offered some help. No, my suggestions were not exhaustive but you really need to check your attitude. When you ask for help and someone offers it, you should be grateful, not critical.

Reactions: FLDave and Ty Pilot
We are visiting Florida next week and my plan is to bring both my Mavic 2 Pro and my Mini 3. We'll be in Delray Beach for a few days and then staying in Sunny Isles, just north of Miami beach for a few days after that. I've not had a drone in Florida before and am absolutely not sure what to expect or what I want to film. All I know is that there are airports all over the place according to my sectional map.

Any advice on where to fly, where to avoid, interesting points close to these two places. I've not been at the place we're staying in Delray as I have never been there. I've stayed at the same place in Sunny Isles, about a block or so from the beach on the Atlantic.

Any thoughts, tips, etc. If any custom unlocking or ATC auth is needed I'd like to get that done before leaving home. I have had too many bad experiences with DJI geofence unlocking and don't want it to spoil my flights (and my vacation).

Delray Beach does not appear to be a problem from what I am seeing on Air Control (Aloft). You do have KBCT nearby and may need to get LAANC if you enter their airspace. NOTE: from experience flying near beaches in Florida there are helicopters continuously flying there, and they are not at 500’ AGL. They fly LOW! Keep your eyes and ears on the skies.

Sunny Isles appears much the same although there is more controlled airspace close by. Again I reiterate about the helicopters. I think there are more per capita in Florida than anywhere else in the southeastern US.

DJI unlocks will be a bigger problem than LAANC, and Florida is one of the states with preemption laws on the books. Local governments cannot enact their own drone laws. The FAA rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drone Master
I think Sunny Isles is near Haulover Beach. Lots of good views if you know what i mean. You might also want to take a ride a little west and go to Holiday Everglades Park and fly over the everglades. you might see some gators

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore