Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Miami Sunrise and Sunset Timelapse Videos over a few days

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
Hi Mavic Pilots Forum Group!
This is a 2:28 minute film of drone timelapses, showing sunrises and sunsets from about 185 to 200 feet above ground level and photographed in a suburb of Miami. Shot over 4 days, morning and night. The views are either towards the east, showing Biscayne Bay, Key Biscayne, and downtown Miami, or for the sunsets, to the west, showing downtown Dadeland. All flown from my driveway. Clouds on the horizon obstructed the views of the sun most of the time but the clouds are fascinating to watch.

The May 26th clip shows the effects of LRTimelapse the best as the foreground gradually turns from black to green , because of the key framing ability to selectively develop and process each part of the image using masking.

All photographers should take advantage of this amazing tool if you are shooting sunrises, sunsets, etc. The foreground will always be darker than the sky unless corrected.

All of the timelapses were photographed with the Mavic 3, and processed with LRTimelapse software( www.LRTimelapse.com), using Lightroom LrC. Still images were processed with Photoshop with use of the Adobe masking tool, which was critical in bringing out the increasing exposure of the foreground, due to the high dynamic range where the drone's sensor responds to the bright sun and under-exposes the foreground. Comments welcomed any time.

Dale
Miami

Last edited:
Nice . . . very relaxing 2:28 seconds. Nice music bed too.

Excellent work.

What time interval was the intervalometer set to?
I usually do clouds at about 3 to 4 second intervals. For this one, it was mostly 3 second intervals.

Thanks - again fine work. You have convinced me to try the package.
Not sure what you mean by "the package." I can help if you need it.Are you speaking of LRTimelapse? or Masking?

LRTimelapse. I have done a lot of time-lapse work over the years, but LRTimelapse appears to solve a number of problems that plague that kind of work. I am ordering the LRTimelapse book, and will download the trial version to play around with it.

Th biggest problem I have had with time lapse with my drones, is that the GPS positioning wanders over the duration of the shot, and gives a twitchy movement to the shot. I hope that LRTimelapse solves that problem.

LRTimelapse. I have done a lot of time-lapse work over the years, but LRTimelapse appears to solve a number of problems that plague that kind of work. I am ordering the LRTimelapse book, and will download the trial version to play around with it.

Th biggest problem I have had with time lapse with my drones, is that the GPS positioning wanders over the duration of the shot, and gives a twitchy movement to the shot. I hope that LRTimelapse solves that problem.
I'd suggest you watch all of the videos from the start. Feel free to call me. I sent my number on conversation. The wobbles and wiggles are not totally removed at all by LR timelapse. That is done in the video processing with warp stabilization. The best advantage to LR Timelapse is to deal with day to night or night to day (Holy Grail) timelapses, and to have the use of LrC Lightroom classic to use the masking tool for Hugh dynamic range issues which occur all the time when shooting to the sky with a dark forefront. Masking allows me to open the foreground with a separate edit to bring out the dark foregrounds.

Last edited:
Nice. Looks like you're logging some hours on your new bird.
yes- your are right! I usually fly about once a week but I am chasing the sunrises and sunsets and it's easy when I can just go out to my driveway. I have not really flown away from directly overhead for all of these timelapses because my neighborhood is very dense in trees and I cannot follow the drone for VLOS.

Great! Thanks for the info. So in simple terms what is a time lapse?
Timelapse is a compression of time.You are making an exposure every timed interval. When all of the exposures are played back at a "frame rate" it looks like everything is accelerated or moving faster- e.g.: clouds, cars, people, sunrise, sunset, stars, Milky Way, etc. The movie industry standard frame rate (how many frames run through a movie projector in a second) is 24 frames a minute. So you are shooting a lot of frames over time, and compiling them together in software.

I'm sure that as a child, you played with flipping pages of a cartoon book making the characters look like they are moving. It was called a flip book. Here is a You Tube.
Fee free to ask anything about it.

Become a temporary member of the IIsrael Drone Club
Julius; Do I need any permit for flying in Israel? I know all of the precautions. I am talking about an official government document.
Join the Israel Aeroclub as a temporary member...
I was never questions about flying except was not allowed to fly in the Old City..DJI app showed restrictions
Obviously I obeyed all the usual rules about airports security installation and not flying over people...You will have great opportunities..in fact I am going back to Israel in October for a further there week

My wife and I were last there in 1974, one year after the Yom Kippur war. We were on a Jewish Federation Mission, which is a high powered tour of heart breaking sites and lectures by experts, government officials, visit to the Knesset, Yad Vashem, stay on a kibbutz, Tsfat school room site of shooting, Golan,Yad Mordecai (Warsaw Ghetto hero),> Army base, Masada, Dead Sea, etc. We have done the country in depth. This will be a return quickie tour including the following itinerary; Miami>Doha,Qatar>Dubai,UAE>Abu Dhabi>luxury desert camp with camel rides , dunes, etc.>Abu Dhabi flight on El Al to Tel Aviv>Jerusalem>Cross to Jordan and to Petra>Amman>Royal Jordanian Air to JFK>Miami. Trip scheduled for March,2023.
Drones strictly forbidden in the UAE.

Dale

My wife and I were last there in 1974, one year after the Yom Kippur war. We were on a Jewish Federation Mission, which is a high powered tour of heart breaking sites and lectures by experts, government officials, visit to the Knesset, Yad Vashem, stay on a kibbutz, Tsfat school room site of shooting, Golan,Yad Mordecai (Warsaw Ghetto hero),> Army base, Masada, Dead Sea, etc. We have done the country in depth. This will be a return quickie tour including the following itinerary; Miami>Doha,Qatar>Dubai,UAE>Abu Dhabi>luxury desert camp with camel rides , dunes, etc.>Abu Dhabi flight on El Al to Tel Aviv>Jerusalem>Cross to Jordan and to Petra>Amman>Royal Jordanian Air to JFK>Miami. Trip scheduled for March,2023.
Drones strictly forbidden in the UAE.

Dale
I have been to Israel about 30 times...My sister and her family have lived there for 40 years.....Every year we are amazed how it has changed from the previous year...Two or three days is too short to see anything.but is better than never going.
In Petra which is amazing drones are not allowed....My experience in Israel has always been good without any issues.When you go to the Dead Sea you will see the sand and sea as I depicted it on the video.I don't do much post processing since I only use Adobe Premier Elements and not the professional app.
Just go and fly esp in old Jaffa,and many other great locations.Tell me where you are staying and I will recommend sites........

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters