DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Micro Hybrid Generators

Ratfink11

Reactions
Howdy, Y'all
I will preface this post.... "As insane as this sounds"
I have been pondering with attempting to build a micro hybrid generator for my Mavic 2 Pro that will fit inside the battery cases. Engine, generator, regulator, fuel tank, remote start.

Seems the Mavic 2's run around 24vdc at 40amps which would make this an attainable goal.

I have wanted to build a hybrid drone for a very long time, almost purchased one from Foxtech but couldnt justify the size for use...although squeaks in at 48lbs. I have only seen one other attempt for a small hybrid generator.

I have a need for long single duration flight times in a small package size such as the Mavic 2. I was wondering if anyone has any current info, links, that I can research further.

Thanks

Reactions: Hauptmann
The M2 batteries are 4S. That's 17v at peak charge but nominally closer to 15V. 24v is way too high. Not sure where you got that number.
Current is more likely 10-15A, not 40A.
Battery capacity is 3.8AH. Let's say run time is 20 minutes or 1/3 of an hour so 3.8AH x 3 = 11.4A.

Not sure how you'd fit fuel, engine and generator in such a small space.

Reactions: Ratfink11
You will have weight considerations, but I can envision a fuel tank where the battery clicks in and the motor/generator slung underneath. It would block the lower sensors but the CG and aerodynamics should be workable.

One huge downside is if the generator stopped at any time the whole thing would fall like a rock.

(removed by moderator)

I have built many many hybrid generators. And it would be easy to build something small that could generate these power requirements.

These types of systems always have a battery for starting and for emergency flying/landing.

I build and restore rare automobiles...some buried in fields that are half rusted away. This is easy compared to bringing back a car from the 30's.. But young pre millinials these days dont know what real work and determination is. I mean it makes total sense to spend 1500 bucks on a new cell phone then throw it away 6 months later just because the new model came out and does the exact same thing?

Ill make sure when I build these and get them marketable that they dont exist for the people that think its not doable.

(removed by moderator)

Last edited by a moderator:
The M2 batteries are 4S. That's 17v at peak charge but nominally closer to 15V. 24v is way too high. Not sure where you got that number.
Current is more likely 10-15A, not 40A.
Battery capacity is 3.8AH. Let's say run time is 20 minutes or 1/3 of an hour so 3.8AH x 3 = 11.4A.

Not sure how you'd fit fuel, engine and generator in such a small space.
Danman... Thanks for these updated figures... I requested info for volts amps and current while operating... That info is posted on my other post from another member... Every generator is regulated... I am very grateful for this info... These lowers figures are easier to obtain and regulate. And, like I stated, I have a need to be in the air for hours at a time... Not minutes... Its a matter of making the time to design create and build this based on what others have started and mostly completed... Thankfully im not new to building hybrid generators and this is within my wheelhouse of expertise... So we shall see.

I will post some preliminary ideas from another who had tackled this very same issue and was successful. His project is 90 percent complete when he stopped... However he posted all his work online for others to continue.

The weight and power requirements are easily met...at least at the moment. The hardest part will be designing a remote electric starter for a tiny glow engine. The generator will double as a starter... At least this is the current plan which will change as many times as a first year college student changes majors.

...One huge downside is if the generator stopped at any time the whole thing would fall like a rock.
...These types of systems always have a battery for starting and for emergency flying/landing....
I forgot that you would have a battery to start it, so it would be available to land it. Good luck with your project, it sounds intriguing.

Good luck with your project, it sounds intriguing.

Could be something very marketable too, if the OP is interested.
If so, keep it tight, and protect it, maybe you can licence or sell such tech to a drone manufacturer.
Although the actual concept is not new, maybe aspects you develop will be.

5+ hrs flight times drones are already on the market.
For example:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen those drones. They weight over 50lbs. Pretty large. Im tinkering with a micro version. Using ideas from someone that has done a lot of work. This project is better for the open sourced communities so it can be built by anyone. Ive got a working test bed. Workin out the kinks...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji