DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Micro SD card recommendations

MGVision

Reactions
Currently i have Samsung Evo plus - Samsung Evo plus 128 GB Micro SD SDXC Class 10 karta pamięci U3 100 MB/S (MB-MC128HA APC) : Amazon.pl: Elektronika
Will this micro SD card be good enought for my mavic 3 classic or i need something better?
Also I am looking to buy my second micro SD card for next drone. I was thinking about SanDisk extreme - https://www.amazon.pl/SanDisk-microSDXC-RescuePRO-wydajnością-SDSQXAA-128G-GN6MA/dp/B09X7BK27V/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?crid=36935E2SU1AHE&keywords=sandisc+extreme&qid=1671550958&sprefix=sandisc+extreme,aps,272&sr=8-5
Is IT good choice or i should buy something better?

Yes it's fine. If it's U3 V30 you are good but I don't see the V30 listed...still....U3 Class 10 should work, I think. The Sandisk Extreme is good for sure. I have many of those cards. . Anything faster will make no difference.

Reactions: JBJO and MGVision
You need more cards. You should be changing the card with every battery swap. If you value your recordings, and ever fly more than one battery, one card per drone is not nearly enough! An entire day's recordings can be instantly lost if the drone is not recoverable, and you launched with any prior, uncopied recordings on the card.

Faster cards than 25/MBs write are of no benefit to the drone recordings, but faster read speeds will speed up copying off the files to a computer, later on.

I looked up the specs of the M3C and DJI recommends a V30 speed SD card. If you want to be certain, go for a V60, but they will be somewhat more expensive, around $50 for a 128GB card. If you want to stick with a V30 (U3) card I would recommend finding one with the highest write rate. If the card doesn't keep up you could end up with jittery video, and I think some of the examples posted on the forum might indicate they didn't have a fast enough card. I don't know, especially for the M3 series. It stands to reason that part of the better perceived video might be the write speed, wringing out every bit of detail, which the card is charged with capturing.

But here is a link to the V30 cards. V30 micro SD cards on Amazon

I'm also not sure how "Max Video Bitrate" applies to card selection, but here is the spec on that followed by DJI's card recommendations:
1671585497072.png

1671585082834.png

1671585042874.png

Mavic 3 max write speed is 25MB/s, so V30 at 30MB/s is plenty. Anything more is overkill. Better to buy more cards at V30 than anything faster, and swap cards at every battery change! 64GB is plenty large enough for a single flight. If you tend to forget to reformat before flight, go with 128GB, but you will still never fill an empty 32GB card in one flight!

Mavic 3 max write speed is 25MB/s, so V30 at 30MB/s is plenty. Anything more is overkill. Better to buy more cards at V30 than anything faster, and swap cards at every battery change! 64GB is plenty large enough for a single flight. If you tend to forget to reformat before flight, go with 128GB, but you will still never fill an empty 32GB card in one flight!
If you're going for V30 cards they are cheap enough that the difference in price between the 64gb and 128gb is relatively little. Like battery power I never want to be short of card space. Not everyone is going to swap cards at every battery change. I know I don't unless the footage is critical to the mission. And while I may do tactical card swaps, I don't routinely format my cards after every flight, so the 128gb cards allow me to keep the original files just a bit longer to make sure everything is working on the computer. I think that deserves a poll to find out how many exercise the card swap option.

Reactions: MGVision
Wow, this is like Back to the Future! Bottomline, for me, is the SD/Micro SD (whatever) should have a R/W rate equal to/better than your drone/camera. The card should simply be large enough to hold pix/vid from at least one flight. Some people rely on the same Micro SD for all flights, tsk tsk. My most recent venture with a micro SD was photo time lapse on a GoPro Hero 8, 4K @ 5s intervals. Ended up with almost 5k pix total. Backroads and byways from Colorado Springs to Wilkerson Pass via HW 24w (fogged in) back to Victor, Cripple Creek, via West to Hiway 67 down to hiway 50, east to Cañon City, to 115 N to COS and home. We spent about 4.5 to 5 hours total, and only had to make one pit stop for dog to pee. (Bonus content). The SD Micro I used was SanDisk Ultra 256gb U1 capturing in 4K w/ 8bit recording. GoPro Hero 8Black mounted on front bumper with 15’ usb to keep battery charged.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
If you're going for V30 cards they are cheap enough that the difference in price between the 64gb and 128gb is relatively little. Like battery power I never want to be short of card space. Not everyone is going to swap cards at every battery change. I know I don't unless the footage is critical to the mission. And while I may do tactical card swaps, I don't routinely format my cards after every flight, so the 128gb cards allow me to keep the original files just a bit longer to make sure everything is working on the computer. I think that deserves a poll to find out how many exercise the card swap option.
I'm in agreement that a 128GB V30 card is the currently the best value, and that's what I have been purchasing lately. Not swapping cards at battery changes is just asking for trouble. A lost drone can be replaced, and it is just lost money. Lost footage in the drone from prior flights, however, is gone forever, and it is priceless! The only reason not to swap cards at every battery change is you don't care about your prior footage! That's not me. A poll to find out how many are swapping cards at battery changes won't do anything other than prove that people are careless. They also don't properly back up their files on their computers. Does that make it rational? Hardly.

I really like the Samsung - PRO Plus 128GB microSDXC UHS-I V30, they are Fast, write speeds up to 120 megabytes/sec, I tested it at over 98, which is great. Read is up to 160, I tested it at 147. Available at BestBuy for under $20.

BTW, I really like the suggestion to swap cards at same time as battery, great idea.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
DJI lists these as supported by the RC Pro:
  • SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB V30 A2 microSDXC, SanDisk High Endurance 64GB V30 microSDXC, SanDisk Extreme 128GB V30 A2 microSDXC, SanDisk Extreme 256GB V30 A2 microSDXC, SanDisk Extreme 512GB V30 A2 microSDXC, Lexar 667x 64GB V30 A2 microSDXC, Lexar High-Endurance 64GB V30 microSDXC, Lexar High-Endurance 128GB V30 microSDXC, Lexar 667x 256GB V30 A2 microSDXC, Lexar 512GB V30 A2 microSDXC, Samsung EVO 64GB V30 microSDXC, Samsung EVO Plus 128GB V30 microSDXC, Samsung EVO Plus 256GB V30 microSDXC, Samsung EVO Plus 512GB V30 microSDXC, Kingston 128GB V30 microSDXC
Listed at the bottom DJI RC Pro - Specs - DJI

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143