DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Micro USB........

Prmath

Reactions
Does the remote control have issues with breaking or is it customer abuse ?
OR........ piss poor engineering from DJI

Reactions: BIGLUG24
I read about a lot of people having some problems and how fragile they seemed to be. I did two things, 1) I quit using the micro usb port unless absolutely necessary and started using the standard usb port. That doesn't help you with charging though so 2) i marked the top side of my micro usb charging cable so that I knew which side was up and didn't accidently try to plug it in upside down. 3) I just try to be gentle with it anytime I do have to plug something into the micro usb port.

I've never had a problem with Micro USB in my life, either with DJI or across dozens of phones, tablets, and other micro-USB devices. If you are nice to the ports, they will easily last the life of the device. If you don't pay attention to orientation and/or yank cords out, they will fail. Just from my own observations, people are usually pretty rough with cords.

The female DJI port on the controller is rectangular, where most male micro USB chargers are trapezoidal - so just be a little extra careful when plugging in. The orientation is obvious if you take 2 seconds to look so it should never be going in the wrong way.

I've never had a problem with Micro USB in my life, either with DJI or across dozens of phones, tablets, and other micro-USB devices. If you are nice to the ports, they will easily last the life of the device. If you don't pay attention to orientation and/or yank cords out, they will fail. Just from my own observations, people are usually pretty rough with cords.

The female DJI port on the controller is rectangular, where most male micro USB chargers are trapezoidal - so just be a little extra careful when plugging in. The orientation is obvious if you take 2 seconds to look so it should never be going in the wrong way.

I think the problem is with anyone who wears glasses. The plug is so small its easy to get it upside down.

I'm happy with net-dots for charging, lower USB for device connection, and a white-out dot on other cables. I use white dots for other micro-port devices, so the kids get hopefully get it correct ;-)

I read about a lot of people having some problems and how fragile they seemed to be. I did two things, 1) I quit using the micro usb port unless absolutely necessary and started using the standard usb port. That doesn't help you with charging though so 2) i marked the top side of my micro usb charging cable so that I knew which side was up and didn't accidently try to plug it in upside down. 3) I just try to be gentle with it anytime I do have to plug something into the micro usb port.
I have taken the exact same approach. Plus being aware of the issue has made me very carefull.

I think the problem is with anyone who wears glasses. The plug is so small its easy to get it upside down.

I am sure it is more difficult to see for some people, but that isn't an excuse to force it in the wrong way or yank the cable out, which is the only way you can damage it. Nobody should be damaging their ports. You could also put a mark on your cable indicating "right way up" if that was an issue.

For some people getting the "if it doesn't work, push harder" mentality out of their heads is difficult - I live with someone like that ;)

Have you had any issues with accidentally knocking the cable loose?
Have not received them yet but from the thread on this that's the one that Thunderdrone has used for 2 years so I think it wouldn't . Someone was concerned also the magnet would effect the sticks but he had experimented with bigger magnets with no issues .I will look for the thread on them and drop it back here.
Mavic 2 fragile Micro USB side port

Last edited:
Reactions: Son1ze
Be gentle with DJI Micro USB ports.
And there are several more threads on them if you will do a search .
10-4
I am sure it is more difficult to see for some people, but that isn't an excuse to force it in the wrong way or yank the cable out, which is the only way you can damage it. Nobody should be damaging their ports. You could also put a mark on your cable indicating "right way up" if that was an issue.

For some people getting the "if it doesn't work, push harder" mentality out of their heads is difficult - I live with someone like that ;)
try to make them “lady proof”............

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Does the remote control have issues with breaking or is it customer abuse ?
OR........ piss poor engineering from DJI
I just got my controller back from the DJI service dept. Had to replace the charging USB Port I had broken pins and would not
charge, I had only charged it two times and the one I used a cable that I charge my Mavic Pro controller, witch is not the
same as the new Mavic 2 Pro controller witch bent the pins. it was my fault but they are very cheap ports and should not
bend changed from the old ones, the new one is shape difference now. It cost 76.00 to replace it not covered under warranty.

the ports are difference now not the same as the older Mavic

Now I am confused , in the thread I linked to in post 12 I did
ask @Thunderdrones if the charging ports were the same.
I must have misunderstood him as he said they were.

Reactions: Former Member
You understood correctly. Here is a picture of the mavic pro and the mavic 2 controllers side-by-side both with our beloved magnetic connector plugs happily in their fragile Micro USB ports. ...so happy together

20181107_201624.jpeg

Says the M2 to the MP controller, " Is that a controller stick or are you just happy to see me?"

I thought so and just tryed my MP with my M2P charger
and it worked fine.

The port's are difference between the Mavic Pro and the Mavic 2 Pro one is small side at top and bigger on the bottom or the opposite. the new one is the same top and bottom.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929