DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Might be dumb question but should you keep the battery out of your drone when not using?

I hope it's ok to keep it in as I have for the last year I have had mine .
Saves space in my case for my other 4 batteries .

battery has on/off circuit itself.

hence, the battery attached on the drone will not have any electricity flowing to the drone.

No need to take them out. One thing I've always done, and this too probably isn't necessary, I will take the battery out of the quad after landing it on a hot summer day just to remove the heat source from the quad. Those batteries produce some heat. I do this at the flying field, or if I'm just shooting the breeze with people, or whatever the case might be. Allows the machine to cool quicker. Probably all in my head. But once they cool a bit and it is time to store the unit, i leave them in.

I charged the Mavic battery and the RC a week ago. The battery was not inserted back into the AC. Today, I decided to fly and found that the battery had gone down to 3 lights meaning 75% and the RC becoming 91%. I flew it for 8+minutes and the battery becomes 20% and the RC is now 7

That’s the depletion logic of the battery and not because there was a draw on the battery. In the settings you can change how fast it depletes.

Yes. I remove the battery from the aircraft. I place caps on the battery contacts and place each in a LiPo safe bag. (These are readily available online and relatively inexpensive.) If I intend on flying in the upcoming week, all batteries in bags stay in the flight case with the quad and accessories. For longer term storage they are kept in an ammo case(s) with my other hobby LiPo's ( "dumb" batteries used in RC cars, trucks, and crawlers ). No fear mongering intended... I've see a LiPo puff and ignite, and while the demonstration was intentional, a simple manufacturing defect would have the same affect ( e.g., the Samsung phone defects ). Many times it takes some wear/usage for the defects to reveal themselves.

DJI batteries are shipped in a factory imposed "sleep state" and no circuitry is operating. Once you start the first charge cycle, monitoring circuitry may begin discharging the batteries. (Numerous forum posts detail this and other storage processes, advisable percentage levels, etc.) A Forum Search for poster "msinger" and his link to MavicHelp has some wonderful and precise information .... worth a visit.

Reactions: WAXMAN
I take my batteries out when not using, same as my camera equipment. I have a number of DSLR cameras and video cameras. if I am not going to use them in a month or so batteries are removed. Same with the MP, if not taken care of, can reduce life by 50%
You can watch cell usage on your controller, lots of good things to do to protect battery life. Keep them dry, keep them cool, let them cool before charging again, discharge when storing. Good to read Manual, I know its easier to ask. Care and feeding of your
batteries is important, as you know its costs to replace one,

Useless here since the batteries have their own power switch so that there is no actual electrical connection between battery and device when it's off.

Make note, though. Those are placed in a "sleep state" with no circuitry running. After we charge the first time, the batteries are -in essence, live and circuit active.
They go back to deep sleep if unused for a few months.

I hope it's ok to keep it in as I have for the last year I have had mine .
Saves space in my case for my other 4 batteries .

Been keeping a battery in my drone too, but i can see some sense in taking it out when it's hot, so will start doing that. Like your avatar too, by the way; really good game, that! ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
If putting it away for several weeks for some reason it might be wise to have your batteries in a safe storage where if somehow one caught fire it couldn't spread.
They do have potential to burn especially if accidentally hit or dropped.

With the phantom the spring battery contacts and battery latch were a bit weak so in theory leaving a battery always in, with them pushed up might weaken the contacts slightly.
Mavic seems to have a more positive latch to keep things firmly attached, I wouldn't worry about it.

Been keeping a battery in my drone too, but i can see some sense in taking it out when it's hot, so will start doing that. Like your avatar too, by the way; really good game, that! ;)
Didn't know that was a game face, was give to me . Also I do always replace mine with a fresh cool battery when I get through flying and case it . The hot used battery does come out .Thumbswayup

I usually take the battery out right away, but last time I left a fully-charged one in, and recharged my other two batteries and then took them off the charger. I haven't flown in several weeks now, and the two batteries that were not in the aircraft have partially discharged as they are supposed to do when not used for an extended period. The one that was left in the Mavic still shows full charge. Does the automatic partial discharge not happen when the battery is in the aircraft?

You're fine to leave it in.

I’m sorry if this is a dumb question but when your not using your drone should you take battery out or is it fine to keep in?
Not a dumb question at all. The automatic standby discharge is negated when in the aircraft. Remove it for storage if you have a battery charged much greater than 40% so it will discharge. Discharge times can be set in the battery section of the GO app.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa