DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Might DJI replace instead of repair?

Made2Phly

Reactions
My vision sensors and bottom infrared sensors went out after a crash. If i ask DJI to repair it, does anyone think they would just send me a replacement, refurbished or otherwise instead, of doing the repair? I think i have heard of such things in the Forum.

@Made2Phly you dont say which drone you have they mostly send a refurbished one which to all intent and purposes is as new ,then they will repair the one you sent ,it speeds up the time for the replacement to arrive back to you ,if it is a newer recent drone model then they can also send a brand new one depending on stock levels, its very rare for you to get the same drone back

@Made2Phly you dont say which drone you have they mostly send a refurbished one which to all intent and purposes is as new ,then they will repair the one you sent ,it speeds up the time for the replacement to arrive back to you ,if it is a newer recent drone model then they can also send a brand new one depending on stock levels, its very rare for you to get the same drone back
Thnx. That is what I was hoping. It is the new FPV. (That forum tends not to be so helpful). Hopefully DJI will handle it the same

Reactions: old man mavic
@Made2Phly please let us know how you get on and what replacement you actually get good luck

It is a sad reflection on my flying ability but I'm a bit of an expert sending crashed drones back to DJI. Being in Europe the DJI Repair Centre is in Holland. You can send you machine back there and ask them to repair it. If the damage is perceived to be too great, they tell you and then ask for a further £29 to supply you with a new one. You can also get a new one faster by requesting new and not repair. It is a quicker process. This assumes you have DJI Care insurance. Mike

Reactions: 1TenaciousG
My vision sensors and bottom infrared sensors went out after a crash. If i ask DJI to repair it, does anyone think they would just send me a replacement, refurbished or otherwise instead, of doing the repair? I think i have heard of such things in the Forum.
I have had three experiences with DJI repairs. One with the Mavic AIR 1 which was replaced (new serial number). I advertised it as a replacement, which is like getting a new drone for the buyer.

I used that money to buy the Mavic 2 Pro. I sent it in for service to Grapevine,TX and it , too, was replaced.

Finally, I am receiving back a DJI OM4 from repair. I do believe it will be a new one.

So, in summary: three items sent to DJI and all were replaced and not refurbished. I was happy in all three cases because it is like getting brand new product.

That's not been my experience. I have the DJI Care Refresh coverage on all three of my Mini-2s. I graduated from the Elon Musk school of figuring out how to do things, and the first two got a little dinged up during my training. The first one is due to be delivered back to me today...the same drone...at my request.

Here's what happened:

1) I banged Dijimm, my first Mini-2, into a couple of things in my early training. He still flew great, but I had managed to break the lens cover, so all the video had foggy patches.

2) I filed a repair request.

3) The same day, they had UPS send me a shipping level.

4) I packed Dijimm up, and shipped him using the UPS label.

5) Around a week later, I got notified that DJI had gotten the drone, and they had estimated the repair cost. A little over 100 bucks.

6) At that point, I could either have gotten a new/rebuilt drone for $49, under DJI care, or a I could pay the hundred bucks, and have them repair Dijimm, and send him back.

7) I opted to get the repair done. This decision will make no sense to anyone who doesn't bond with specific machines. It's not exactly animism, from the Japanese tradition, but it's similar in some ways.

So, if you're willing to pay their estimated repair cost, you can indeed get the same drone back. They do require payment before starting the repair, which is reasonable.

If I can pick up Dijimm today, I'll let you know how it worked out!

:)

TCS

I have had three experiences with DJI repairs. One with the Mavic AIR 1 which was replaced (new serial number). I advertised it as a replacement, which is like getting a new drone for the buyer.

I used that money to buy the Mavic 2 Pro. I sent it in for service to Grapevine,TX and it , too, was replaced.

Finally, I am receiving back a DJI OM4 from repair. I do believe it will be a new one.

So, in summary: three items sent to DJI and all were replaced and not refurbished. I was happy in all three cases because it is like getting brand new product.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's dinged up these little beasties...

;-)

TCS

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's dinged up these little beasties...

;-)

TCS
My only thought is that it is regrettable that DJI does not list for sale, refurbished equipment! I don't think they would be able to keep it in stock, compared to the prices of a new one!

Yeah I had a minor crash with my DJI fpvAnd they gave me a repair quote of $150 but instead of fixing it they sent me a replacement drone, go figure

My only thought is that it is regrettable that DJI does not list for sale, refurbished equipment! I don't think they would be able to keep it in stock, compared to the prices of a new one!
Not sure where you get that idea from. DJI has always listed for sale Refurbs on their site and approved vendors. On newer aircraft releases they wait till they build stock to make those available to the masses, but traditionally they have always offered those aircraft at substantial savings over new, when in almost all respects they often are new or look to be and have same warranty as a new item. OP didn't state aircraft, so point is moot anyway.

To be fair, they are in the business of selling new ones.

Still, it would be nice to know where I can buy re-furbed Mini-2s, if I need to expand my fleet...

;-)

TCS

Still, it would be nice to know where I can buy re-furbed Mini-2s, if I need to expand my fleet...

;-)

TCS
I just looked on their website and they had a bunch of refurbished drones, there wasn’t much of a price reduction but there they were

I suspect that with very low labor costs in China and equally low cost of parts, DJI makes out better by replacing rather than repairing. Hence, the experience of Chaosrider where actually fixing HIS drone in the US was more costly than a replacement.

Remember, only the drone is being replaced, not the controller. If we assume the Mini 2 drone and controller are approximately equal in value, the retail price of the drone would be around $225 (USD). Not totally out of the realm of possibility that the drone itself only costs DJI $49. Plus they have the revenue from the DJI Care coverage that many (most?) of us purchased.

And if they do fix the broken drones, it's probably done in China. Or maybe they are recycled for any materials of value (gold on circuit boards, copper wiring, etc.) with the rest being tossed out.

I think you will get a new one. That thing you have is a mess! ?

Reactions: Made2Phly
Not sure where you get that idea from. DJI has always listed for sale Refurbs on their site and approved vendors. On newer aircraft releases they wait till they build stock to make those available to the masses, but traditionally they have always offered those aircraft at substantial savings over new, when in almost all respects they often are new or look to be and have same warranty as a new item. OP didn't state aircraft, so point is moot anyway.

;-)

TCS
I got a great deal on a Renewed Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo from Beach Camera. Not only did it come with a brand new (not renewed) Air 2, but the package they offer had a bunch of extra accessories included, as well, provided by Deco Gear. A large sized Landing Pad, a 32gb Sandisk extreme sd card, a set of VR Goggles (phone type), a set of 5 Photo, and video, editing programs designed specifically for Drones, and, in my opinion, the BEST add on, a high quality Drone/DSLR Camera Backpack! The advertisement showed what appeared to be a cheaper, flimsy, lightweight grey backpack was included, but, when it arrived, it included a MUCH higher quality Backpack, instead!! Its great!! I can fit the entire Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo, AND my entire Mini 2 Fly More Combo, inside, with tons of accessories, and can still fit another drone, and all its combo's contents, as well! I REALLY can't be more pleased with it.
The entire package was $918 before tax, and, since Beach Camera sells through Amazon, it was Prime delivery, and arrived within 2 days!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1629632251332.jpg
    FB_IMG_1629632251332.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 3
  • FB_IMG_1629632236128.jpg
    FB_IMG_1629632236128.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 3
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members