DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Military aircraft flying no airports or military bases close by

saboken

Reactions
Are there any rules about fly below the 400’ limit when random military aircraft are training? I live in NE South Carolina there no military bases close to me but on random occasions the military has a lot of training in the airspace above me today several fighter jets passed directly over me about 5 times some days this a lot of Helo traffic Apache and Boeing CH-47s the jets probably are never going to be a it’s it the CH-47s could fly below the 400’ I just don’t want to be responsible for a collision! I can usually here them but there have been a few time the jets loud engines block out the helicopters sounds are they supposed to fly over residential areas at certain altitudes? I swear the CH-47s have been well below 400’ quite a few times! Before I had the drone! How do you deal with this unexpected and random air traffic .

Reactions: tglacier
You should look at a sectional for your area and see what kind of airspace you are in.

It may just be a military training route, or something more restrictive where you are not allowed to fly.

I go to skyvector.com

Hmmm. Have you checked the maps for TFRs? What is your location?

Reactions: trriley5
Hmmm. Have you checked the maps for TFRs? What is your location?

Only a small dirt airfield I’m just on the edge of it!
28c55ec9d6a00758fe841b4eebacad87.jpg
it’s not really used anymore.

I’m surrounded my national forests like I said there’s. No bases close to me!

And all the air fields are either regional or farms a couple heliports for hospitals but the closest hospital is 15 miles from me.
4dd72a88bde97f203840700de93b4125.jpg

Wow. Are you sure the helo's and jets had US markings?

LOL.

Reactions: tglacier
Maybe contact the nearest airport or ATC and ask for their help?

Reactions: Cactus
Wow. Are you sure the helo's and jets had US markings?

LOL.

They were military I never really looked for markings but since I lived here “about 3 years” I have seen them at least once a week I’m a full time RVr and it shakes my camper when they fly over.

Reactions: radman
They were military I never really looked for markings but since I lived here “about 3 years” I have seen them at least once a week I’m a full time RVr and it shakes my camper when they fly over.

I hope they are US I’m pretty far from the ocean about 250 miles if they were foreign norad is not doing its job!

Only a small dirt airfield I’m just on the edge of it!
28c55ec9d6a00758fe841b4eebacad87.jpg
it’s not really used anymore.

And that gps is off a bit I’m actually in Tamassee for some reason all gps shows me further south? It doesn’t matter what gps I use! Phone, Car, handhelds they are all off a bit I don’t know why?

Just kidding about the markings. But the GPS anomaly is weird too. It should be accurate to within a few feet no matter where you are. Way beyond my ability to help. Maybe my buddy @topilot can help.

Looks like Ft Benning is the closest base almost 300 miles from me in another state
f9658cc3059bc6bd9fad8ea44b6b1aa6.jpg

Just kidding about the markings. But the GPS anomaly is weird too. It should be accurate to within a few feet no matter where you are. Way beyond my ability to help. Maybe my buddy @topilot can help.

Maybe some interference? Not To much around me but there is a Utility Development company a few miles away they test some strange stuff for the power grid. Also there’s the Duke Energy Nuclear Power plant about 8 miles from me? Hope it’s not radiation?
1fea5fb0989a4b32f870d99f7d207fbc.jpg

Besides that just a bunch of man made lakes full of Bass and some real hillbillies that might try to shoot down my drone (I’m serious about the hillbillies)

Last edited:
I’m surrounded my national forests like I said there’s. No bases close to me!
Snowbird MOA is north of you and kind of centers over Dillsboro NC. There are several training routes in your area as well. You could be seeing traffic headed to that training area. Also, the military does some training in Nantahala, so you could see traffic supporting that as well. We have the same thing going on down in Uwharrie. SOCOM does a lot of training there as well especially in the winter months.

Reactions: Ninja
Snowbird MOA is north of you and kind of centers over Dillsboro NC. There are several training routes in your area as well. You could be seeing traffic headed to that training area.

Ok that’s makes sense they must hotdog over me because I have watched them make several passes might be the rual area they like to play over?

Not exactly helpful to your situation but have a similar situation here in the UK.

Found out the RAF issue a low flying timetable for fast jets and helicopters. Fast jets are cleared down to 250ft and helicopters ground level in set zones.

Problem is I've encountered low flying typhoons and tornados outwith these zones.

Might be worth looking into whether you are in a training zone or if there is some sort of schedule.

You could fit strobes but I'm not sure how much help that would be to a low flying jet at 500+mph.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MacPilot55