DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Military aircraft versus Mavic 4

swb_mct

Reactions
I have been flying my Mavic 4 over a lake in Northern Minnesota for the last few days. Today, a 4 engine military prop plane flew straight over our house at very low altitude. I was inside and it sounded and felt like I was under a old wooden train trestle with a freight train going over.

I ran outside to see it pass over the tree tops on the opposite shore and it was less double the height above the tree line than the height of the trees. That's provides an guesstimated altitude of 3 x 120' or 360 feet. It would be a blast to be in the plane flying over lake country at 400'. Fort Ripley is 40 miles from here. That's a long landing approach.

I know my drone has crossed that path several times in the last few days. I know the chance of collision is infinitesimal but still, its scary to visualize. I saw on this forum a city chopper pilot talking about 400' as the typical altitude for metro chopper services. Is 400' normal for military training/practice flights with 4 engine planes ? - Its common here - have seen this several times - I wish I could be in the plane.

Hard to guestimate height. You say opposite shore. Depending on airspace, manned aircraft can and often do fly low over water...some just a few feet off the water. Similar to the more vacant areas where crop dusters work. I fly at a private testing facility runway and see a lot of low flying aircraft.

B-17 (1).jpg

Hard to guestimate height. You say opposite shore. Depending on airspace, manned aircraft can and often do fly low over water...some just a few feet off the water. Similar to the more vacant areas where crop dusters work. I fly at a private testing facility runway and see a lot of low flying aircraft.

View attachment 106412
When you see the oil leaking out of those big round engines, the aircraft is definitely low!

View attachment 106412
FYI: The plane in the photo is a rare, restored Boeing B-17 from WWII. It is not an active military plane. Awesome photo!

Reactions: Hauptmann
Not sure where in northern MN but

Military Operations Areas
MOAs consist of airspace of defined vertical and lateral limits established for the purpose of separating certain military training activities from IFR traffic. Whenever a MOA is being used, nonparticipating IFR traffic may be cleared through a MOA if IFR separation can be provided by ATC.

Schedules that interact with airspace P204:
Number of Records: 1*AGL
TypeSAA / NOTAM IDStart TimeEnd TimeCenter IDStateMin Alt
(100s ft)
Max Alt
(100s ft)
Group

PP20401/01/2020 00:0012/31/2020 23:59ATPMN000*<040SAA

Schedules that interact with airspace 4301:
Number of Records: 3*AGL
(100s ft)
Max Alt
(100s ft)
Group

R430107/02/2020 00:0007/02/2020 06:30ZMPMN000*050SAA
R430107/01/2020 13:0007/01/2020 23:59ZMPMN000*260SAA
R430107/02/2020 13:0007/02/2020 23:00ZMPMN000*260SAA

Schedules that interact with airspace BEAVER MOA:
Number of Records: 1*AGL
(100s ft)
Max Alt
(100s ft)
Group

OA5 ORBIT07/02/2020 14:0007/02/2020 23:59ZMPMN500600SAA

Last edited:
Military aircraft versus Mavic 4?

I'd put my money on the Military Aircraft. You're a lucky guy. I'd be thrilled to have a B-17 fly over my house at any altitude (I'd also be thrilled to have a Mavic 4)!

Hahaha. Mavic 4 is why I clicked on this thread. I'm still on a mavic 1.

I am about a mile away from an Air Reserve Base. I get very low flying Heli's all the time. Sometimes they can't be more than over 250 ft up. Wonder how they can fly that low.

Hahaha. Mavic 4 is why I clicked on this thread. I'm still on a mavic 1.

I am about a mile away from an Air Reserve Base. I get very low flying Heli's all the time. Sometimes they can't be more than over 250 ft up. Wonder how they can fly that low.
Military can fly wherever they want to or need to in training.

I'd be thrilled to have a B-17 fly over my house at any altitude!
Actually our flying field is a private test runway and we get a lot of visitors. Most just flyovers but some are training and we have to share the runway with them when flying our RC stuff.
NASA Crows Landing Airport and test facility.jpgYou can see why so many aircraft fly low...it's a pretty big runway.

NASA Crows Ldg 2 (2).jpgCrop duster-NASA crows ldg (2).jpgNASA Crows Ldg 2 (1).jpg0 cover DSC03906p.jpg

It's not illegal for them to fly over low but without authorization they are not supposed to land or use the runway.

Actually our flying field is a private test runway and we get a lot of visitors. Most just flyovers but some are training and we have to share the runway with them when flying our RC stuff.
View attachment 106578You can see why so many aircraft fly low...it's a pretty big runway.

View attachment 106579View attachment 106580View attachment 106581View attachment 106582

It's not illegal for them to fly over low but without authorization they are not supposed to land or use the runway.
Second from the top: Is that your new drone?

• Haha
Reactions: pelagic_one
This is the primary aircraft (C 5B Galaxy) that flies in the controlled airspace (100' AGL) above the house - 1/4 mile away the controlled airspace is 0' AGL. You definitely know when they are overhead :D This is a "stock photo" from the net - not mine.
1593689785279.png

I have been flying my Mavic 4 over a lake in Northern Minnesota for the last few days. Today, a 4 engine military prop plane flew straight over our house at very low altitude. I was inside and it sounded and felt like I was under a old wooden train trestle with a freight train going over.

I ran outside to see it pass over the tree tops on the opposite shore and it was less double the height above the tree line than the height of the trees. That's provides an guesstimated altitude of 3 x 120' or 360 feet. It would be a blast to be in the plane flying over lake country at 400'. Fort Ripley is 40 miles from here. That's a long landing approach.

I know my drone has crossed that path several times in the last few days. I know the chance of collision is infinitesimal but still, its scary to visualize. I saw on this forum a city chopper pilot talking about 400' as the typical altitude for metro chopper services. Is 400' normal for military training/practice flights with 4 engine planes ? - Its common here - have seen this several times - I wish I could be in the plane.
Did it look like this? C130 which I have about 25 jumps out of, and this aircraft is still very much in service.D9570B7F-65E0-4CC7-9F22-6A5C9905BE0E_4_5005_c.jpegThis aircraft often fly's low.

This is the primary aircraft (C 5B Galaxy) that flies in the controlled airspace (100' AGL) above the house - 1/4 mile away the controlled airspace is 0' AGL. You definitely know when they are overhead :D This is a "stock photo" from the net - not mine.
View attachment 106589
You brought back some memories, I almost got to jump from the C5. When it landed to pick us up it blew some tires.
Never got the chance again.

Second from the top: Is that your new drone?
LOL, nope. That belongs to NASA like the runway. The county operates the facility when NASA isn't using it. We just got to work with them when they are using their facility. The runway is used for a host of reasons. A lot of LE use and other companies are testing stuff including electric vehicles and driverless autonomous semi trucks. Here a few weeks back a C-5 flew over as part of the C_19 tribute and the coast guard constantly flies a C-130 overhead often but they usually stay well above 400' AGL.

I live near 4-wing Canadian Forces base so I frequently see CF-18 Hornets flying low as well as the CT-155 Hawk (training jet). I’ve spent several years working on the Cold Lake Air Weapons Range (CLAWR) and it’s incredible to see how low they fly and feel the occasional sonic boom. There was one instance where the site super had to call in regarding low flying jets as we had a concrete pumper boom ~150’ in the air and jets were “buzzing treetops”. It was also great to see the “dog fights” during maple flag when allied troops came from all over the world for combat training.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803