DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Military jets, a-10 warthog flyby captured with mp2

A very interesting aircraft for sure with it’s sub sonic jet speeds.
Really a cool aircraft. What altitude do you think they were at? Do you fly within a MOA (Military Operations Area)? It looks like your drone was pretty low when videoing. Do you think they were above 400 FT. Just curious.

Regards

Sorry reply was mean't for Lapeer

Last edited:
Reactions: RLW8888
Would the first encounter be considered a near miss in the aircraft world ?
I could see you were below tree top level, and you then descended as they approached, well done.

The second encounter showed an obvious drone altitude below the powerlines.
They were flying low for sure, the 2nd pass looked close to 400', although perspective at distance can be hard, zoom was used by the looks at the end.

Very cool capture, by the way.

Reactions: Bmckay67
That was my reaction. I’m still working on sneaking up on geese and keep them in frame! ?
Use caution, as geese have attacked drones.

Back when Mather AFB was open, I was flying my Mooney SB at about 10K when a couple of A10's came by me from behind to my right quarter and then turned left in front of me. I was doing about 162 knots so the speed difference was dramatic. Same altitude so I know they had me and were just having fun. Passed by at about 500' distance . . . sure got my attention, but loved it none-the-less.

Really a cool aircraft. What altitude do you think they were at? Do you fly within a MOA (Military Operations Area)? It looks like your drone was pretty low when videoing. Do you think they were above 400 FT. Just curious.

Regards

Sorry reply was mean't for Lapeer

mavic was about 50’ agl, below tree tops.

this was a flyover for a funeral, in class g airspace.

Use caution, as geese have attacked drones.

Back when Mather AFB was open, I was flying my Mooney SB at about 10K when a couple of A10's came by me from behind to my right quarter and then turned left in front of me. I was doing about 162 knots so the speed difference was dramatic. Same altitude so I know they had me and were just having fun. Passed by at about 500' distance . . . sure got my attention, but loved it none-the-less.
I was once north of Reno flying a Citation heading south to land at the airport and the Canadian Snow Birds passed by me in a reasonably close encounter. Pretty darned exciting!

Reactions: Chip and bumper
How did the Mavic 2 record the sound?

i recorded sound onto iPad by choosing “record audio with video Cache”

This makes it so there is audio and video together on the iPad, but the video is only 1080p.

so I take the high quality video, in this case 2.7k/60 frames, from the sd card and overlay the audio from the iPad using a video editor.

it’s easier to do here than it is if you record a person talking as the audio from a jet doesn’t need to be synced perfectly. If it were off by a fraction of a second nobody would notice.

I'd be interested to know if the Warthogs were 'electronically aware' they were under surveillance. I realise it could be dependent on what 'devices' the pilots had switched on.
I'm just curious, it was a nice tracking shot.

Round here (Peak District, Derbyshire, UK) the C130s do low speed, thus quiet, low level practicing by flying down the valleys. You can be standing on the hillside (hills not mountains) and certainly be level with them as they drift past.
In broad daylight it's impressive, in the night I wouldn't know they were there.

Regards.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54