DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 - Bent motors normal/common?

AXes89

Reactions
A while back I bought a new Mini 2 and after just 2 or 3 flights it started showing error messages (30210) and sometimes wouldn't be able to take off.
For some reason randomly swapping batteries would get it to work again. I tried updating firmware, but that didn't help.
I flew another 2 or 3 times and eventually it wouldn't take off no matter what I tried.

So, I sent it back to DJI to be repaired under warranty. However a few days later they tell me the ESC board is fried, and the reason was because of a bent motor.
Now, since a bent motor is regarded as physical damage they said the repair isn't covered by warranty, and I'd have to pay for it.
I tried telling them I've never crashed or dropped the drone and the bent motor must be a manufacturing defect, but all they did was offer a discount.
Since I'd have to pay shipping anyway I just waited for them to send it back to me for free so I could check on it.

The motor was indeed bent (I measured about 0.25mm bend (0.5mm run out) on the outside of the rotor), but I really can't see how I could have caused it. I only had the drone for a week, never let anyone else use it, never crashed or dropped it, never sat on it, never dropped a piano on it, never ran it over with a steamroller, etc...

I found some posts on different drone forums and some people say it's normal for motors to wobble a little (same as being bent). Do you guys know if that's true? Do your motors wobble also?
The "wobble" I'm talking about is how the gap under the motor changes up and down as you rotate it.

Also would a bent motor even cause the ESC board to fail? It's not rubbing against the stator or anything.

When ther props are first fired up the whole drone will wobble a little from the torque but once initialized I've not noticed any wobble. I would say the oppisite is true. A very stable, constant, smooth rotory movement.

Reactions: AXes89
@AXes89 when you first purchased the drone did it come in a sealed box with the clear outer film still intact or was it opened ,i only ask because some big box stores here in the UK have been known to send out returned goods as brand new to unsuspecting customers,

Reactions: AXes89
When ther props are first fired up the whole drone will wobble a little from the torque but once initialized I've not noticed any wobble. I would say the oppisite is true. A very stable, constant, smooth rotory movement.
You have to rotate every motor manually with your finger and check if the gap under the motor changes.

I don't think I would've noticed my motor wobbling while the drone was flying. It was always flying really smooth.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
@AXes89 when you first purchased the drone did it come in a sealed box with the clear outer film still intact or was it opened ,i only ask because some big box stores here in the UK have been known to send out returned goods as brand new to unsuspecting customers,
I think I remember the film being intact, yes. No damage on the box either.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka