DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 can't resist wind

Mintia

Reactions
Hi,

My Mini 2 has been an excellent tool. But recently, I started having issues where it appears to be unable to resist any wind. This occurred after I had a crash, so I suspect it has a lot to do with that. Prior to the crash, I had no issues akin to this, so my best guess is that it's related to that. When I first got the drone, I had a couple of flights, when it suddenly got very windy, and the drone handled it fine. Now it seems to struggle at the slightest breeze.

I experienced a "minor" crash, at low speed; however, the aircraft flipped. It was retrieved, inspected and no visible cosmetic damage on the body was found (not even a scratch). There was some minor damage to a couple propellers. After this, I packed it away and didn't get around to testing it until a few days after. When I went to fly, it seems the wind pushes the drone and it drifts several metres away (80m+). I suspect it is wind, as on multiple times, I have felt the breeze coming in the same direction while standing at ground level. On more than one occasion, the aircraft would find its way back to where it left off from. On other occasions, it drifted quite far away, with no sense of slowing down, so I had to "force" it back. It never loses any altitude at all however. During these tests, controlling it feels difficult at times, like it's fighting wind and seems to fly slow at times (3 m/sec). I have tried a few things out (noted below), but the problem still persists.
  • Propellers have all been completely changed, including screws. New propellers have been checked to be in the right locations.
    • Considering propellers were the only thing that were visibly damaged, I might go out and buy another new set and just try them on.
  • Motors inspected from the top, and cannot see anything unusual.
  • Compass, IMU, control sticks, gimbal, have all been calibrated and re-calibrated a few times over.
    • Quick side question on the control stick calibration. It seems to lag when doing this. When I do this, I push the sticks in one direction and it won't register until I push it in another direction. This seemed to only be an issue after I updated the app. Does anyone know what's up with this?
  • GPS locks onto over 20 satellites during tests.
  • Firmware and flysafe data checked to be updated. App updated.
  • Downward sensors checked and made sure they're clean.
  • Flown in three different open spaces, with similar results.
Having the aircraft drift away is unsafe, and I would like to try and fix it before flying it for planned shoots. I do have Care Refresh, but I was hoping that I might be able to get some more ideas on what I can look into doing, before considering to utilize Care Refresh.

If anyone has any ideas on what else I could try, please let me know.

Many thanks.

Reactions: shaneb50
Suggest you fly it inside the house , so you can rule out wind being an issue,
You may have had rose color glasses when you were first flying and now your very aware of every drift from the wind.

If it cannot hover in place and give it a little push and see if it comes back to its original position , be careful with the push and make sure you have 7 or more sats , keep it by a window .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.

Just in case it is fighting a wind and you do not realise it, point the drone perpendicular to the direction of drift and switch the gimbal to FPV. If the drone is fighting the wind your view will be tilted.
It might be worth replaying the flight in the app and checking whether the attitude indicator is available for viewing.
I don't have 1.2.abc so can not check. If it is available it should indicate if the drone was fighting the wind.

BUT have a look at Mini 2 tried to fly away on me.

Just in case it is fighting a wind and you do not realise it, point the drone perpendicular to the direction of drift and switch the gimbal to FPV. If the drone is fighting the wind your view will be tilted.
It might be worth replaying the flight in the app and checking whether the attitude indicator is available for viewing.
I don't have 1.2.abc so can not check. If it is available it should indicate if the drone was fighting the wind.

BUT have a look at Mini 2 tried to fly away on me.
Playback in Flight Control Center in Fly doesn't provide a normal camera view, only a map view with some of the statistics. You can add stick to the view but that's about it.
PhantomHelp will show you attitude though.

Hi,

My Mini 2 has been an excellent tool. But recently, I started having issues where it appears to be unable to resist any wind. This occurred after I had a crash, so I suspect it has a lot to do with that. Prior to the crash, I had no issues akin to this, so my best guess is that it's related to that. When I first got the drone, I had a couple of flights, when it suddenly got very windy, and the drone handled it fine. Now it seems to struggle at the slightest breeze.

I experienced a "minor" crash, at low speed; however, the aircraft flipped. It was retrieved, inspected and no visible cosmetic damage on the body was found (not even a scratch). There was some minor damage to a couple propellers. After this, I packed it away and didn't get around to testing it until a few days after. When I went to fly, it seems the wind pushes the drone and it drifts several metres away (80m+). I suspect it is wind, as on multiple times, I have felt the breeze coming in the same direction while standing at ground level. On more than one occasion, the aircraft would find its way back to where it left off from. On other occasions, it drifted quite far away, with no sense of slowing down, so I had to "force" it back. It never loses any altitude at all however. During these tests, controlling it feels difficult at times, like it's fighting wind and seems to fly slow at times (3 m/sec). I have tried a few things out (noted below), but the problem still persists.
  • Propellers have all been completely changed, including screws. New propellers have been checked to be in the right locations.
    • Considering propellers were the only thing that were visibly damaged, I might go out and buy another new set and just try them on.
  • Motors inspected from the top, and cannot see anything unusual.
  • Compass, IMU, control sticks, gimbal, have all been calibrated and re-calibrated a few times over.
    • Quick side question on the control stick calibration. It seems to lag when doing this. When I do this, I push the sticks in one direction and it won't register until I push it in another direction. This seemed to only be an issue after I updated the app. Does anyone know what's up with this?
  • GPS locks onto over 20 satellites during tests.
  • Firmware and flysafe data checked to be updated. App updated.
  • Downward sensors checked and made sure they're clean.
  • Flown in three different open spaces, with similar results.
Having the aircraft drift away is unsafe, and I would like to try and fix it before flying it for planned shoots. I do have Care Refresh, but I was hoping that I might be able to get some more ideas on what I can look into doing, before considering to utilize Care Refresh.

If anyone has any ideas on what else I could try, please let me know.

Many thanks.
Did you buy a Warranty package on the Mini ?
Send it back to DJI have them look it over !
Good Luck !

Hi Mintia. I think your logical reasoning about it being caused by your crash is a highly likely one. In which case, I would get a replacement now - that is, unless anyone on the forum comes up with a practical suggestion over the weekend. You've already checked/done what I would do - and you clearly know there's been a significant change in performance since the crash. Be more careful next time, as even minor crashes can have major repercussions.

Try hovering in a wind free place (with space) only 2/3 meters up with camera looking straight down at a contrast target, with good satellites, I could do that with the mm2 self adjusting in a breeze and it moves gently correcting but stayed there for about 21 minutes with NO interference from me.
If you can’t achieve that after all you’ve already done utilise your care refresh package, only then will have confidence to fly again ?

Reactions: Grazuncle and Dbez1
For what it’s worth, I had the same problem with my Spark after a ”low-impact” crash. I replaced the props and recalibrated everything but found it unusually sensitive to even the slightest breeze. No errors but it still didn’t fly right. I also had a gimbal horizon drift issue where the gimbal wouldn’t completely reset to level after flying sideways etc. Oddly enough if I rotated my Spark 360 degrees in flight the gimbal would be level again.

I sent it in to DJI for repairs and they told me it was an IMU issue. The electronics inside our drones are much more fragile than the outer shells. The impact energy has to go somewhere especially when the airframe doesn’t absorb it by cracking or breaking.

I didn’t have care refresh so I paid for the repair and got a brand new airframe in return.

I hope you can get it sorted. There’s nothing worse than wondering if there’s something wrong with your drone or whether you’re going crazy ; )

Try hovering in a wind free place (with space) only 2/3 meters up with camera looking straight down at a contrast target, with good satellites, I could do that with the mm2 self adjusting in a breeze and it moves gently correcting but stayed there for about 21 minutes with NO interference from me.
If you can’t achieve that after all you’ve already done utilise your care refresh package, only then will have confidence to fly again [emoji108]
MMs do not have precision landing so no need to hover. Even with PL, there's no need, just go straight up about 20ft.

For PL and VPS, that's handled by the bottom sensors. The main camera doesn't have any involvement with PL and VPS.
But watching the view when you RTH with PL is cool.

Just as a matter of interest have people seen the thread about speed being limited when the Mini 2''s camera is pointing down?

Reactions: Dbez1
Mini will not advance into the wind; HAH - breeze!. New Mini 2. I called YOW for WX (<1km away) and wind was 8km/h (4.97097mph) NE. I am in authorize zone for which I have authorization. Don't see that as an issue though.
Will not go forward. UP, down, left, right and SW no prob. 20min earlier and 10km away there was less breeze and I had no problems going in any direction up to 90m AGL. No crashes or damage. I have been hyper sensitive to mine own inexperience; been taking it easy. Could the calibration for a joystick be the issue?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada