DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 DNG Mystery ?!?

tpuerzer

Reactions
I'm having a weird problem processing Mini 2 DNG raw files in Lightroom or Photoshop (Adobe Camera Raw - ACR) on a Mac.

When viewed in Lightroom or Photoshop there is a subtle, but distinct, magenta cast in the top-left quarter of the image.

This defect is NOT visible in the built-in Preview app on the Mac.

The defect is also NOT visible using Luminar 4 app.

There is no problem with JPEG photos, or video I shoot. Just DNG.

It seems to be something specific to Adobe raw processing.

You can notice it in the image I have attached (exported as JPG from the original DNG). Top-left quarter of the image.

Has anyone else noticed this weird feature?

Attachments

• DJI_0014.jpg
    DJI_0014.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 120
I know there are threads on it for the MA2, DJI is aware of that issue and promises a fix for that in a firmware..never heard of a Mini 2 issue.

Reactions: tpuerzer
I don't see the magenta cast, could be an issue with your monitor/ screen

No. It's there alright. It's subtle, but it's there. Perhaps you are viewing on a phone. Look on a larger display. It is a very subtle colour difference in the top left quarter of the image. (Almost like you took a piece of paper and folded it in four quarters. Top left has a different colour cast.

No. It's there alright. It's subtle, but it's there. Perhaps you are viewing on a phone. Look on a larger display. It is a very subtle colour difference in the top left quarter of the image. (Almost like you took a piece of paper and folded it in four quarters. Top left has a different colour cast.

Ah right, I see it now there are lines separating the image in the top left qtr section.

I'm having a weird problem processing Mini 2 DNG raw files in Lightroom or Photoshop (Adobe Camera Raw - ACR) on a Mac.

When viewed in Lightroom or Photoshop there is a subtle, but distinct, magenta cast in the top-left quarter of the image.

This defect is NOT visible in the built-in Preview app on the Mac.

The defect is also NOT visible using Luminar 4 app.

There is no problem with JPEG photos, or video I shoot. Just DNG.

It seems to be something specific to Adobe raw processing.

You can notice it in the image I have attached (exported as JPG from the original DNG). Top-left quarter of the image.

Has anyone else noticed this weird feature?

wow, that is totally ruining the photo.

can you post zipped DNG on Google drive or similar I will test on my mac in PS and Lightroom? I do not see it on my DNG files.

There is definitely a problem with Adobe. I downloaded your DNG and processed it both in Photoshop 2021 and On1 Raw 2020. The split only appears with Adobe. FWIW, I rarely process raw images in Photoshop, never in Lightroom. My number 1 and number 2 raw processors are Capture 1 Pro and On1Raw 2020. As a side note, I think there is more shadow detail clarity in the On1 image though it may have processed the image a bit brighter lending itself to that.

DJI_0014_on1vsPhotoshop.jpg

Lower image is just not as deeply colored overall. No surprise on the details.
Gotta wonder if that’s what removed almost all of the purplish area.

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
Lower image is just not as deeply colored overall. No surprise on the details.
Gotta wonder if that’s what removed almost all of the purplish area.
Thomas B is correct, it's still there, just muted because there is less magenta in the sky compared to the Adobe version.

There is definitely a problem with Adobe. I downloaded your DNG and processed it both in Photoshop 2021 and On1 Raw 2020. The split only appears with Adobe. FWIW, I rarely process raw images in Photoshop, never in Lightroom. My number 1 and number 2 raw processors are Capture 1 Pro and On1Raw 2020. As a side note, I think there is more shadow detail clarity in the On1 image though it may have processed the image a bit brighter lending itself to that.

View attachment 118117
Though it's a problem that seems to been caused by DJI as they say they will fix it in the next firmware.

1606758818160.png

So while it's nice that you don't run into the problem with some other raw processors like On1... it's really critical in the long run that it works with Adobe products, just not sure how they're reading the info differently.

Though it's a problem that seems to been caused by DJI as they say they will fix it in the next firmware.

View attachment 118141

So while it's nice that you don't run into the problem with some other raw processors like On1... it's really critical in the long run that it works with Adobe products, just not sure how they're reading the info differently.
I agree that it needs to run on Adobe products because it seems that, while there are other image editors out there, Adobe still owns the market with Photoshop. I'm just in a snit with Adobe because when they switched to their softwared rental scheme...err... "subscription model" they removed the abilty to activate legacy versions of their software even though they would run perfectly reliably on new computers and current OS's, thus forcing some of us into the never-ending contribution to Adobe. It just happens that I started using Capture One Pro long before Photoshop had a raw processor or invented the DNG file. As an alternative I picked up On1 Raw to provide some of the advantages of Lightroom- but without the cludginess of having to first import images before you could work on them. Adobe's pricing scheme is another reason why I never considered Premier Pro for video editing.

If you go full zoom on it you can see a distinct line across the image. It is a real issue.
Usually folks with a color calibrated image workflow will see these much more readily than someone who does not.

1607185751227.png

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11