DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 firmware update dilemma

StephDJI

Reactions
Dear Mini 2 pilots,
I've been flying my tiny Mini 2 with pleasure for 2 years. For now, I'm with Firmware v01.03.0000 and with the very latest version of the Fly app (1.8.0).
I've been tempted many times to upgrade/update the Firmware to the latest version (v01.04 or v01.05 ?), including because Fly app is always suggesting me to do it (!), but I don't really know the benefit of that update (except having an "up to date configuration") AND, because several early updaters mentioned a serious downgrade of performances (with no turning back), I'm afraid it could be a mistake to proceed...
Could you please share your opinion (or feedback) to help me with that dilemma ? :rolleyes:
Kind regards :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavic 57
Dear Mini 2 pilots,
I've been flying my tiny Mini 2 with pleasure for 2 years. For now, I'm with Firmware v01.03.0000 and with the very latest version of the Fly app (1.8.0).
I've been tempted many times to upgrade/update the Firmware to the latest version (v01.04 or v01.05 ?), including because Fly app is always suggesting me to do it (!), but I don't really know the benefit of that update (except having an "up to date configuration") AND, because several early updaters mentioned a serious downgrade of performances (with no turning back), I'm afraid it could be a mistake to proceed...
Could you please share your opinion (or feedback) to help me with that dilemma ? :rolleyes:
Like you……I didn’t update anything this year. Everything is smooth and I have no problems at all. Those updates are targeted most for the mini 3 .

Reactions: Jam0ne
1.03 here with no intention to change, it works so why mess with it?
The normal phone for the mini 2 runs fly 1.3, though I do have one with 1.5.4? on it, for the EXP settings.
My 'Mavic Mini phone' is on a pre 1.2 version of fly.

I'm beginning to think, like some of you, that after a while the Mini 2 may have all the updates it needs and future ones are likely dedicated to the newer drones. So why complicate matters or assume a risk of a conflict in the newer updates? Right?

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Do not update the firmware of the remote controller to the latest version!
If you do so, you will not be able to connect to the Mini 2 and will need to update to v.1.5 firmware.
Unfortunately, I already did it, starting with remote controller firmware and after that, I had no choice, but to update to v.1.5

Do not update the firmware of the remote controller to the latest version!
If you do so, you will not be able to connect to the Mini 2 and will need to update to v.1.5 firmware.
Unfortunately, I already did it, starting with remote controller firmware and after that, I had no choice, but to update to v.1.5

Did it have any consequence on the performance of the aircraft ?

Dear Mini 2 pilots,
If it ain’t broke, don’t go fixin' it! Never update, if everything is already working as you want it to! You can only break a perfectly working combination! Most of DJI's updates to older aircraft are designed to cripple them, to install restrictions like GEO and premature privacy invasions such as RID, which is not legally required on any drone in the United States until September 16, 2023! Why start broadcasting it prematurely, putting a target on your back, for every drone hater to interrupt your flights, and confront you, by broadcasting your location?

Today's first flight report (firmware v.1.5.0).
My observation is that connection remote controller <-> mini2 is faster than before. No signal drops. Seamless and accurate RTH. I was not able to fly higher than 150m. and a distance of 200m. as the conditions were not safe.
At first glance, there is no problems under these flight constraints.

Last edited:
Today's first flight report (firmware v.1.5.0).
My observation is that the connection between the remote controller and the mini2 is faster than before. No signal drops. Seamless and accurate RTH. I was not able to fly higher than 150m. and a distance of 200m. as the conditions were not safe.
At first glance, there is no problems under these flight constraints.

Good to know :)
Thanks !

Dear Mini 2 pilots,
In the U.K. we are required by the CAA to keep the drone software and firmware up to date, cheers Len

In the U.K. we are required by the CAA to keep the drone software and firmware up to date, cheers Len
Good to know, but the OP is in France, according to his profile.
Curious though: how exactly is that U.K. requirement worded, and how is it enforced? Mandating everyone immediately install all new FW and software sounds like a recipe for disaster, as every new software and FW update introduces new bugs that can potentially lead to unsafe conditions while DJI uses the early adopters to discover their bugs, so they can be fixed in a future update, which then introduces yet new unknown bugs. Waiting at least a month after any new release seems only prudent! Staying one version behind the latest, until it has been fully vetted, would make far more sense from a safety perspective.

Reactions: Sparc343 and Jam0ne
I have already updated my Mini 2 to 01.05.0000 firmware and I have not had any issues other than the video feed lag to my iPad Mini 4 tablet. I can't remember if the lag was there before the update I installed. I just did a flight around the neighborhood and the aircraft performed very well. I just had to give it time to show me it's last position at times. I used the RTH to get it back to me.

Attachments

• DJI Firmware.jpg
    DJI Firmware.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 15
Dear Mini 2 pilots,

do NOT do it.

see This post - Enough Said.

I have already updated my Mini 2 to 01.05.0000 firmware and I have not had any issues other than the video feed lag to my iPad Mini 4 tablet. I can't remember if the lag was there before the update I installed. I just did a flight around the neighborhood and the aircraft performed very well. I just had to give it time to show me it's last position at times. I used the RTH to get it back to me.

😆

Reactions: graywoulf
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots