DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 gimbal issues…

dronee474

Reactions
Mini 2 gimbal issues…

For the past few days i’ve been flying my mini 2 around and then when i come to change the battery the gimbal is stuck, there are no errors but an IMU calibration sorts it out. It is really annoying and wondering whether anyone else has had this problem?

@dronee474 firstly welcome to the forum
not quite sure what you are referring to
are you getting an error message when you start up the drone ,with the new battery inserted and turned on

@dronee474 does it do its start up dance as normal have you crashed or landed heavily at all ,and do you use a landing pad to keep dust and debris from getting into the gimbal moving parts
also if the props are out of balance this will cause the gimbal and camera to vibrate ,an air puffer is good for blowing any dirt from the gimbal and also check the gimbal mounting plate hangers they can become detached also do a gimbal calibration

Reactions: LoudThunder
Mini 2 gimbal issues…

For the past few days i’ve been flying my mini 2 around and then when i come to change the battery the gimbal is stuck, there are no errors but an IMU calibration sorts it out. It is really annoying and wondering whether anyone else has had this problem?
I had that today. My gimbal was stuck at an angle (not up and down, but side to side). I reset the Mini several times but no luck. It just wouldn't straighten out. I also got, on the Fly screen, a red GIMBAL STUCK warning. I tweaked it a bit, but even the wheel would not control it for up and down. I was not wanting to break anything, and with a little help it finally straightened out and did its normal thing. In the footage I shot, the gimbal seemed to operate normally, and I got no more warnings of "GIMBAL STUCK". I'm puzzled. The Gimbal guard went on normally the day before, and I took it off before I turned the Mini on today.

Can someone explain an "IMU calibration" or point me to what that is?

@KennethH the IMU controls the drones orientation in relation to its surroundings ,it uses information from sensors ,giros ,the GPS module, and the compass
its important that the IMU is calibrated on a flat level non metallic surface ,so it gets its reference point ,if you go into advanced settings in the app screen , you will see compass calibration and IMU calibration ,once you select start IMU calibration ,it will show you a picture of the drone in the starting position ,then as the calibration progresses, you just need to move the drone to the next picture and so on ,when it reaches the final position, it can take several minutes for the calibration to finish, this is normal, so be patient and dont be tempted to move the drone at this time , after the calibration has finished turn off the drone and then restart it this will lock the calibration in the drones memory
before you start make sure you have a fully charged battery in the drone

@KennethH the IMU controls the drones orientation in relation to its surroundings ,it uses information from sensors ,giros ,the GPS module, and the compass
its important that the IMU is calibrated on a flat level non metallic surface ,so it gets its reference point ,if you go into advanced settings in the app screen , you will see compass calibration and IMU calibration ,once you select start IMU calibration ,it will show you a picture of the drone in the starting position ,then as the calibration progresses, you just need to move the drone to the next picture and so on ,when it reaches the final position, it can take several minutes for the calibration to finish, this is normal, so be patient and dont be tempted to move the drone at this time , after the calibration has finished turn off the drone and then restart it this will lock the calibration in the drones memory
before you start make sure you have a fully charged battery in the drone
Thank you. But after reading and printing out the above, I can't find ADVANCED SETTINGS. I swear I've seen those procedures in the past on the Fly screen, but can't find them now. Do I have to be out of doors for the GPS module to work in this case? I have a fully charged battery in the Mini 2 and got as far as SETTINGS under Profile. No sign of ADVANCED SETTINGS.

Thank you. But after reading and printing out the above, I can't find ADVANCED SETTINGS. I swear I've seen those procedures in the past on the Fly screen, but can't find them now. Do I have to be out of doors for the GPS module to work in this case? I have a fully charged battery in the Mini 2 and got as far as SETTINGS under Profile. No sign of ADVANCED SETTINGS.
You need to start your drone and connect to the RC/phone. Open DJI Fly app and you'll find it there, just like you do for flying.

@KennethH sorry i should have said what @Faster said in the above post #8
i assumed you knew that it would require the RC,screen device ,and drone all turned on and connected

"old man mavic": Yes, I did know those things you just mentioned. I spent some time reading the Mini 2 manual. They had a section on CALIBRATING THE COMPASS. First step was TAP SYSTEM SETTINGS IN DUI FLY, select SAFETY, then CALIBRATE. I can find no such items. The instructions then went into the movement of the drone to different positions. Could a later upgrade have negated these steps. I swear I have come across them before, with illustrations.

Last edited:
"old man mavic": Yes, I did know those things you just mentioned. I spent some time reading the Mini 2 manual. They had a section on CALIBRATING THE COMPASS. First step was TAP SYSTEM SETTINGS IN DUI FLY, select SAFETY, then CALIBRATE. I can find no such items. The instructions then went into the movement of the drone to different positions. Could a later upgrade have negated these steps. I swear I have come across them before, with illustrations.
I don't have my drone here and I can't check but if my memory doesn't fail, do this.
- Open DJI Fly app
- Tap three dots on top right corner
- Tap Safety
- Scroll down to find it.

I don't have my drone here and I can't check but if my memory doesn't fail, do this.
- Open DJI Fly app
- Tap three dots on top right corner
- Tap Safety
- Scroll down to find it.
Thanks, but although I found the ... once and tapped on it, now I can't access them. I got to the place where I could calibrate the IMU and the Compass, but the word calibrate was in blue, and wouldn't react to being touched. DJI Fly doesn't seem to like to be touched :(

Thanks, but although I found the ... once and tapped on it, now I can't access them. I got to the place where I could calibrate the IMU and the Compass, but the word calibrate was in blue, and wouldn't react to being touched. DJI Fly doesn't seem to like to be touched :(
First when I did find a place to calibrate both the IMU and the Compass, clicking on the word (in blue) CALIBRATE didn't do anything, like it wasn't really a LINK. And although I got that far a couple times, now I can't even find the ... to even get to the non-link blue words. I've watch videos of how to do the calibration. But they don't tell me how to make it work.

First when I did find a place to calibrate both the IMU and the Compass, clicking on the word (in blue) CALIBRATE didn't do anything, like it wasn't really a LINK. And although I got that far a couple times, now I can't even find the ... to even get to the non-link blue words. I've watch videos of how to do the calibration. But they don't tell me how to make it work.
Got to press the ... once more and went to the Safety selection. Under SENSORS there was IMU and Compass and the words, like selections in blue. Calibrate. But other links are in BOLD. These aren't, and still don't react when selected.

Last edited:
Okay, so now I know I can get to the ... from the Map screen. Saw the ellipses up in the far right corner and pressed them. That took me to Safety. Went down to Sensors, and to Compass Normal and IMU Normal. There were the words CALIBRATE, still not in bold, and would not react. It's like there is one thing missing. One thing, I take it the aircraft has to be connected. There is no warning about that.

Okay, so now I know I can get to the ... from the Map screen. Saw the ellipses up in the far right corner and pressed them. That took me to Safety. Went down to Sensors, and to Compass Normal and IMU Normal. There were the words CALIBRATE, still not in bold, and would not react. It's like there is one thing missing. One thing, I take it the aircraft has to be connected. There is no warning about that.
Finally caught the two sensors napping, and was able to get them when their CALIBRATE buttons were bold. I think I went through the compass reset. It finally gave me the message that the calibration was successful. Don't know about the IMU recalibration.

Let's get back to your Gimbal, it's the most fragile item on the drone. Keep that cover on whenever you are not flying... When you are going to fly, open it's legs then just before turning it on, remove the Gimbal Cover, then turn the drone on... I suggest you even put the cover on when you are swapping batteries... Sometimes, the batteries do not come out so easy and you are hard pressed to get the battery out. Finally, your Gimbal is not "finger friendly" don't play with it and if you let anyone handle the drone put the cover on, it keeps folks from "flicking" it...

To keep your gimbal in good condition, the gimbal cover should ALWAYS be the last thing off before the flight and first thing on after the flight. The Eason for this is so that the gimbal is protected when you busy preparing and packing up the drone. Also, make sure the gimbal is straight and level inside the cover and is not being stored in bad positions.
Hope this helps!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929