DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mini 2 grainy video when gimbal pointed down

edlloyd

Reactions
Hello all. brand new mini 2 owner and first post in the mini2 threads. love this little thing so far for what it is. discovering some camera limitations from what i can tell from the small sensor. when pointed at the horizon, this thing takes crystal clear video. But when i am pointed down towards the ground i am getting very grainy video. any thoughts on why this is happening? it seems to be the worst when filming trees or grass. is it just the nature of the beast with the smaller sensor? i am just a hobbyist and don't do any editing or use any filters, so trying to get video to look the best right off the SD card. any help and suggestions are appreciated. i am not sure how to upload a video directly off the card to post here if i even can, but if there is a way, someone please let me know. the odd thing i noticed if i upload a grainy video to youtube what ever youtube does to process it seems to take a way a good bit of the grain, but in turn i seem to loose a bit of detail too. any help, thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Hi there. I’ve noticed the same. I also notice the same thing around tree branches if there is detail (grass, whatever) in the background and I am “dollying” past the foreground branches. It’s like the detail is “smeared” as the branches move out of the way.

I have placed the blame on the vagaries of video data rates, compression, etc. If you’re pointed straight down a LOT is changing as time passes, esp if you’re flying quickly over detailed surfaces. Video has compression technology to “save bits”, but it is imperfect. It is my belief that this is what we are seeing as a side-effect of that compression.

We can also blame the small sensor because of the attendant short focal length and deep depth of field. Basically everything is in focus all the time, so the compression has to work super hard.

YouTube does transcoding (to whatever their favorite format is for a given video) and compression of their own. You are right that there will be a trade-off of the loss of the ”graininess” with an attendant loss of detail. Same goes for actual noise in still photos.

Anyway, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it ;-)

Hello all. brand new mini 2 owner and first post in the mini2 threads. love this little thing so far for what it is. discovering some camera limitations from what i can tell from the small sensor. when pointed at the horizon, this thing takes crystal clear video. But when i am pointed down towards the ground i am getting very grainy video. any thoughts on why this is happening? it seems to be the worst when filming trees or grass. is it just the nature of the beast with the smaller sensor? i am just a hobbyist and don't do any editing or use any filters, so trying to get video to look the best right off the SD card. any help and suggestions are appreciated. i am not sure how to upload a video directly off the card to post here if i even can, but if there is a way, someone please let me know. the odd thing i noticed if i upload a grainy video to youtube what ever youtube does to process it seems to take a way a good bit of the grain, but in turn i seem to loose a bit of detail too. any help, thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
It's difficult to say without an example and I won't presume to know much about the compression algorithm but purely from my photography background.. most noise in photographs come from a combination low light and the size of the sensor; hence boosting already weak signals. (simulated by raising the effective ISO).

That's why it would be good to to have even a short sample.. However aiming the camera higher and where will usually get a scene with more light in it as opposed to a possibly a 'darker' scene (trees with no leaves on them) perhaps.. However it is all guesswork without a clip.

Ps are the stills the same?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143