DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 now or wait for mini 3?

Legendoforin

Reactions
Hi all

So I have decided to go for a sub 250g drone but seeing as the mini 2 was released nearly a year ago (after only a year between that and the original mini) and we have the likes of Hubsan zino Pro putting pressure on DJI surely the mini 3 can't be far off?

Anyone else in the same boat right now? I have been here before buying things only to have the next one arrive just after for the same price.

When do we think the mini 3 will arrive? Do you think there will be more of a gap between the 2 and 3 due to the SE?

Reactions: CLAYB.7
Ha...exact same happened to me...bought the mini and a month later the mini 2 comes out.
Flew the mini lots with no problems, was on the fence about buying the 2..thinking the mini 3 was just around the corner. Posted this dilemma on this forum, 90% were in agreeance of getting the mini 2.
In the end I feel I did the right thing buying the mini 2 now.
For Sub 250 drones you really can't beat the mini 2
And now I have 2 drones ...even better.

Reactions: CLAYB.7
There will always be a pending model in the pipeline but in this case I would wait and see what informed members say with regards to pending CE classes and marked drones.

Ha...exact same happened to me...bought the mini and a month later the mini 2 comes out.
Flew the mini lots with no problems, was on the fence about buying the 2..thinking the mini 3 was just around the corner. Posted this dilemma on this forum, 90% were in agreeance of getting the mini 2.
In the end I feel I did the right thing buying the mini 2 now.
For Sub 250 drones you really can't beat the mini 2
And now I have 2 drones ...even better.
When did you get your mini 2?

I searched the threads and saw a thread from June asking the same thing and if it was then I would just go with the mini 2. But seeing as October is round the corner a year on from the 2 I would happily wait if it was only going to be a few months.

Hi all

So I have decided to go for a sub 250g drone but seeing as the mini 2 was released nearly a year ago (after only a year between that and the original mini) and we have the likes of Hubsan zino Pro putting pressure on DJI surely the mini 3 can't be far off?

Anyone else in the same boat right now? I have been here before buying things only to have the next one arrive just after for the same price.

When do we think the mini 3 will arrive? Do you think there will be more of a gap between the 2 and 3 due to the SE?
Hi Legondoforin!

Start with asking yourself why you want a drone and what you wanna do with it? Pleasure? Business or what? Does a newer drone fullfill your needs better? Are you in someway restricted by the Mini2 performance? I fly Mini2 for business purpose and have 2 of them because I never will put myself in the situation that one fails when I am working with an important assignment. It's better to have one out of two Mini2 working than one Mini3 that doesn't.

Mini2XX

Best from Sweden

Last edited:
The original Mavic Mini was a good product, but is somewhat anemic. It has Wi-Fi for communications, not OcuSync. Like all craft that use WiFi, the range is limited to about a half mile. Price was the ONLY attraction. The Mini 2 is a solid choice. It has great communications range (2+miles), it has a good flight time (23 to 24min), it's quiet, it supports 4K@30FPS, it's conveniently small for vacations, and it has 2X zoom support which is fun.

Since weight is a factor I'm not sure exactly what features could be added without exceeding the 249G limit, which is what it's known for. I can say the Mini2's ability to fly in wind is limited, but more powerful motors would likely exceed the weight limit goal. DJI might be able to support 4K@60FPS if newer lower-power silicon becomes available to mitigate overheating at the 60FPS capture rate. Adding OA sensors would likely weigh too much also. I'm not sure what DJI could do to the Mini2 to improve it while keeping it under 249G. It's pretty sweet as is. It could be years before they release another Mini version, similar to the Mavic 2P/Z which has been 3 years since it was released, and Mavic 3 still isn't here yet.

If you were my brother, I'd recommend buying the Mini2 now, unless you can afford a Mavic 3 Pro next year, so I could fly it too ;-).

Hi all

I bought the original Mavic Mini when it came out then when the Mini 2 arrived I simply sold the MM and bought the Mini 2. There seems to be a good market for second hand drones in good condition as I have recently sold my M2Z as well. Ok you loose some money but at the end of the day you get the latest bit of kit and the improvements in the new drone are usually worth the extra cash. The difference between the original Mini and the Mini 2 is substantial as will be the Mini 3 when it come out.
I also am think like you about the Hubsan Zino Mini Pro. If in time it proves to be reliable etc I may get one around Christmas time.

For what it's worth there are a glut of fair to good small drones available right now. The original mini is selling fairly cheaply, the Mini2 and the hybrid Mini SE just in the DJI catalog. With the Hubsan zino Mini coming out DJI may feel the need to push a Mini3 with similar features but then again that would mean having launched 4 Mini models in under 2 years which is kinda crazy. I'd say maybe hold off another month or so just to see if there's anything announced for Christmas time but if not go for the Mini2

Reactions: Itzmyobsession

I searched the threads and saw a thread from June asking the same thing and if it was then I would just go with the mini 2. But seeing as October is round the corner a year on from the 2 I would happily wait if it was only going to be a few months.

Bought the mini 2 last July.. love it

I can’t see a Mini3 for at least another year. DJI aren’t Apple, they don’t release new models every year, which is why we’re still waiting for a Mavic3 three years later. The Mini 2 was released with huge updates, because the Mini 1 had a few issues.

The original Mavic Mini was a good product, but is somewhat anemic. It has Wi-Fi for communications, not OcuSync. Like all craft that use WiFi, the range is limited to about a half mile. Price was the ONLY attraction. The Mini 2 is a solid choice. It has great communications range (2+miles), it has a good flight time (23 to 24min), it's quiet, it supports 4K@30FPS, it's conveniently small for vacations, and it has 2X zoom support which is fun.

Since weight is a factor I'm not sure exactly what features could be added without exceeding the 249G limit, which is what it's known for. I can say the Mini2's ability to fly in wind is limited, but more powerful motors would likely exceed the weight limit goal. DJI might be able to support 4K@60FPS if newer lower-power silicon becomes available to mitigate overheating at the 60FPS capture rate. Adding OA sensors would likely weigh too much also. I'm not sure what DJI could do to the Mini2 to improve it while keeping it under 249G. It's pretty sweet as is. It could be years before they release another Mini version, similar to the Mavic 2P/Z which has been 3 years since it was released, and Mavic 3 still isn't here yet.

If you were my brother, I'd recommend buying the Mini2 now, unless you can afford a Mavic 3 Pro next year, so I could fly it too ;-).
I’m sorry but you must have not learned to flying WiFi. I agree and would have waited to buy the a Mini 2 but did get one just to test.
i could have went futher but didn’t not to go no higher . The Mini is what it is and the Mini 2 is way better but don’t say it will only go 1/2 mile cause you are wrong. Have other videos to prove it. This is just one.

Also, if the rumours of the Mavic Pro 3 are accurate, there’s no way a Mini3 comes out for at least another year. DJI keep their new releases well apart so they have enough time to get established before the bring something new out.

I was also thinking to wait for mini 3, but as now available mini 2 fly more combo on ebay for 449$ i pulled the trigger. And it has hacked firmware for no altitude limit, which a plus point. I only concerned what if mini 3 will have better camera? Probably somewhat, question how much more?
And the main question when mini 3 comes? I would not like wait and wait…

I was also thinking to wait for mini 3, but as now available mini 2 fly more combo on ebay for 449$ i pulled the trigger. And it has hacked firmware for no altitude limit, which a plus point. I only concerned what if mini 3 will have better camera? Probably somewhat, question how much more?
And the main question when mini 3 comes? I would not like wait and wait…
Flying at very high altitudes is not safe for your drone or for any aircraft ... Flying respecting the laws in force in your country is the right thing to do to avoid problems (even serious ones).
This is just my advice, then each of us is free to do what he wants with his own drone.

Reactions: PeterPatrick
Yeah i know, but I want to take a few looks from different highs and i will be careful and just going high where no aircrafts. Why dangerous for my drone (other than temperatures)?

At high altitudes, problems appear and intensify due to the rarefaction of the air, the change in temperature and humidity, the presence of clouds or fog. Finally, let's not forget that it takes time to get to the top. Will we cope with battery life? But above all, the charge will also be sufficient to land safely without falling dead weight on the ground ...

Hi all

Yeah Brother I would go ahead and get the DJI MAVIC MINI 2 for one it's a AWESOME DRONE and it being my fourth DJI DRONE of course my first one was the TELLO and I have got to admit that it was a GREAT little drone I absolutely loved that little sucker LOL HA HA HA HA HA HA HA ? and my second one was the DJI SPARK and it was a AWESOME little drone for what it was and of what it could do the only thing that bugged me up and down was the flight time just to put it bluntly man it sucked and the third one was the DJI MAVIC AIR 1 and it was a INCREDIBLE drone I really did like it alot but I seen the DJI MAVIC MINI 1 come out and I almost got one but when I had seen it IT had already been out for a bit and then before I knew it the DJI MAVIC MINI 2 was out so I sold the DJI MAVIC AIR 1 and bought my new DJI MAVIC MINI 2 and I could not have been more happier with it because of all of the capabilities of the LITTLE BADAZZ DRONE and of course of all of the updates that DJI was giving us with it and Brother yeah you can wait until the DJI MAVIC MINI 3 is dropped and in saying that it could come out next month or next year but either way you can look at it there's nothing wrong with owning 2 DJI DRONES especially 2 of the best ones on the market in there class so like I was saying Brother I'd go ahead and get the DJI MAVIC MINI 2 and if you want to go ahead and get the DJI MAVIC MINI 3 when it drops you can always sell the DJI MAVIC MINI 2 when you are ready to! God Bless You Brother ✝️ Sincerely Clay B.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent