DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 or Mini SE

jon983

Reactions
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. I don't know much about drones or any online communities and just joined the first one that came up on my search...

For a while now I've been considering buying a drone but could not justify the cost of something I probably would only use a handful of times, permitted for use in only a limited amount of public spaces. I looked into the mavic a few years ago, then the mavic mini and the Spark but each time I decided to put the funds towards existing hobbies of mine, photography and watches.

Recently I bought some land to build a house on and am considering buying another plot. This is the best excuse I can come up with for finally pulling the trigger on a drone. My main purpose would be to take some aerial shots of the plots and surrounding neighborhood. Also, aerial progression of the construction. I do also intend on doing some recreational stuff, maybe taking it on hikes or the beach. In 20 years of photography as a hobby on and off, I've taken maybe less than 10 minutes of video in total, so it's not really something that has ever really interested me and I still don't know much about the technical aspects of it.

Anyway, now I'm finally considering buying a drone I have decided on the two available options within my budget. Either the Mini 2 basic kit or for the same price, the Mini SE flymore combo. I don't know if 4k is really important for my needs, but I like the idea of the better OcuSync connectivity on the Mini 2. The standard kit for the Mini SE seems very attractive but the value in the Flymore combo for it seems to be the right choice. I don't know if I will necessarily need the extra batteries as 30 minutes of flight time seems more than enough for my needs. Extra propellers don't seem expensive and I have plenty of camera bags to put this gear into. I do understand that different outdoor conditions and settings affect battery life so if I were to buy the Mini SE,the Flymore combo would probably be a safer and better option.

TLDR; Mini 2 basic kit or Mini SE Flymore combo at the same price for aerial shots of my property and house build as well as the occasional recreational hiking or beach use. Do I need 4k and OcuSync or am I better off getting a cheaper kit with more batteries?

Reactions: shaneb50
You should get the Mini 2 : You may get hooked, and the resale value will be much better, We have done so much with the Mini 2 that is has gained our respect. We made a wet suit for it to fly in the rain, and land it on the water.

The bottom line is the Mini 2 is worth the extra price.
and if you get the SE version you will always be wondering if you should have gotten the Mini 2.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Definitely the Mini 2..... the original Mini which the Mini SE is based on had many problems: range and transmission quality was limited. Fly aways were common because it was rated for less wind.

Mini 2 is nothing short of amazing. It shoots in 4K, has a great long range signal, and remedies the fly away problem with better flight science.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I'm with the gang. Buy the Mini 2. You won't regret going for the better drone once you write the check. You will need at least one extra battery. You're more likely to get 20 minutes of flight time- and less if it's a windy day. If I were a betting man I'd say that a large percentage of drones are lost because the pilots pushed the battery too far and the drone never made it home.

Plots of land in HONG KONG????

Thanks for the quick replies. I was really hoping to get the cheaper drone but it seems to make more sense to just buy the better equipped Mini 2. Still, as I'm not in a particular rush, I'll wait and see a bit for the Mini SE reviews to come out. The more reviews and information I look up, the more it makes sense. The added range on the Mini 2 and the ability to zoom or magnify the image are big pluses for me. It's not really a huge difference in price and as some of you have pointed out, the resale value would be higher with the Mini 2.

I'm with the gang. Buy the Mini 2. You won't regret going for the better drone once you write the check. You will need at least one extra battery. You're more likely to get 20 minutes of flight time- and less if it's a windy day. If I were a betting man I'd say that a large percentage of drones are lost because the pilots pushed the battery too far and the drone never made it home.

Plots of land in HONG KONG????
Lol, I didn't mean to startle you, I'm based in HK but my plots are in the Philippines, which brings me to my next question - Should I expect any issues buying a drone and operating it elsewhere? I've not read about any such thing but I just want to make sure they are not region locked like DVD's or require additional steps with the registration. AFAIK, the warranty is not covered if you damage your drone in a different country from where it was purchased.

Additionally, the plot I plan on building on is within the blue zone near an airport which is something I just discovered. From what I have read so far, it seems the drones are programmed not to operate in these areas unless you get some kind of email authorization from within the app. Not quite sure how it works as I've only read one article on it so far but it seems like the authorization doesn't always work. Any additional info on this would really help.

Thanks for the quick replies. I was really hoping to get the cheaper drone but it seems to make more sense to just buy the better equipped Mini 2. Still, as I'm not in a particular rush, I'll wait and see a bit for the Mini SE reviews to come out. The more reviews and information I look up, the more it makes sense.
Look for reviews on the Mini 1 as the Mini SE is the same drone with different packaging.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. I don't know much about drones or any online communities and just joined the first one that came up on my search...

For a while now I've been considering buying a drone but could not justify the cost of something I probably would only use a handful of times, permitted for use in only a limited amount of public spaces. I looked into the mavic a few years ago, then the mavic mini and the Spark but each time I decided to put the funds towards existing hobbies of mine, photography and watches.

Recently I bought some land to build a house on and am considering buying another plot. This is the best excuse I can come up with for finally pulling the trigger on a drone. My main purpose would be to take some aerial shots of the plots and surrounding neighborhood. Also, aerial progression of the construction. I do also intend on doing some recreational stuff, maybe taking it on hikes or the beach. In 20 years of photography as a hobby on and off, I've taken maybe less than 10 minutes of video in total, so it's not really something that has ever really interested me and I still don't know much about the technical aspects of it.

Anyway, now I'm finally considering buying a drone I have decided on the two available options within my budget. Either the Mini 2 basic kit or for the same price, the Mini SE flymore combo. I don't know if 4k is really important for my needs, but I like the idea of the better OcuSync connectivity on the Mini 2. The standard kit for the Mini SE seems very attractive but the value in the Flymore combo for it seems to be the right choice. I don't know if I will necessarily need the extra batteries as 30 minutes of flight time seems more than enough for my needs. Extra propellers don't seem expensive and I have plenty of camera bags to put this gear into. I do understand that different outdoor conditions and settings affect battery life so if I were to buy the Mini SE,the Flymore combo would probably be a safer and better option.

TLDR; Mini 2 basic kit or Mini SE Flymore combo at the same price for aerial shots of my property and house build as well as the occasional recreational hiking or beach use. Do I need 4k and OcuSync or am I better off getting a cheaper kit with more batteries?
Get the Mini 2. The original Mini has too many issues!

I find it odd that someone who can afford two plots in Hong Kong is worried about the cost of a mini 2. I guess it's all about priorities. I'm not counting your money but the mini 2 is now about 5 dinners worth in restaurants here in Miami.

As for your using video, if you are anything like the rest of us, you will be HOOKED immediately once you see how the perspective of the drone can improve your photographic portfolio. It has opened up a whole new world for me, and I'll bet, for others. I've been into photography since childhood and am now 82. You will be thrilled with the addition of drone views for still photography as well. You might want to see some work where I have a mixture of stills, videos, drone stills, drone videos, and timelapses all together in one film. The variety keeps the audience watching and keeps them from stopping the show. Check it out.

As many others have said, the Mini 2 is clearly the better drone. The Mini SE was developed for “emerging” markets where DJI hasn’t developed a stronghold on the micro drone segment. Here in Canada the Mini SE FMC is $220 less than the Mini 2 FMC, making it that much more affordable for someone looking at cheaper alternatives with a higher build quality than the “toy” drones on amazon/ebay. There’s plenty of speculation that the upcoming Hubsan Zino Mini Pro has pressured DJI into creating the Mini SE, but again, that’s speculation.

With that said, from what I’ve read, the Mini SE uses the shell, props and batteries from the Mini 2, giving it a more aggressive attack angle, and therefore addressing some of the wind issues from the Mini 1. The internal components are from the Mini 1 so you have the same recording limitations that the mini 1 had. If money is an issue, the Mini SE is sure to be a fantastic drone at that price point, but if they budget can stretch a little further you should opt for the Mini 2.

In regard to location, the only issue I’m aware of when it comes to purchasing in one location and residing in another, is that DJI Care Refresh can only be used in the country of purchase. There are MANY knowledgable members in this forum, so I’m sure if there are any other location issues somebody will chime in.

Last edited:
@jon983 in your original post you mention you are just starting out in drones and looking for a drone for occasional use. You also are comparing the individual Mini 2 to the Mini SE Fly more combo which is much more bang for the $$$. Yes the Mini 2 that everyone is recommending you buy is more advanced - has a better camera, but the Mini SE also has a very good camera too. The real question is do you need and all of the features that the Mini 2 offers?

Questions to consider about the Mini 2:

Do you have a computer that can process the 4K video? Do you have editing software that can handle 4K?
Do you need 4K video? Are you going to be posting it somewhere?
Do you need RAW photos? Do you plan to post process your images?

Just some things to consider. Often people buy tech (drones/computers/etc) that have way more capabilities than they need or want. Resale value for a Mini SE is kind of a moot point as the selling price is already low to begin with.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Chris

Bought the Mini early last year just upgraded to the mini 2....yaa theres a BIG difference.....get the 2
The Mini SE is a slightly upgraded Mini. It has level 5 wind resistance like the Mini 2 and uses the same case and props as the Mini 2 so the problems with the original mini seem to be addressed in the Mini SE.

Chris

Reactions: Itzmyobsession
Some of them, but no Occusync, so range may still be an issue.
Range would be an issue if you are flying beyond VLOS which is illegal in most places these days. Signal stability is better with Occusync but the WiFi on the Mini SE would be pretty good in most situations when the drone is in VLOS. My Spark is WiFi only and I have never had signal quality problems.

Chris

Reactions: Spikemixture
I do not have the Mini 1 or SE, but I recall reading that the Mini1 had some range issues. I do not know if they were addressed on the Mini SE or not.
VLOS yes, but radio environment can have an effect on range. The Mini2's dual band has a better shot of overcoming environmental issues.

Reactions: Chrislaf
I have owned the mini it was an awesome little drone never had an issue that being said I sold it because there weren't aney running lights i was not able to see it so vlos was not good but it was fun to fly you can get very close to things with the mini . good luck with your choice . ?

Thanks again everyone. A lot of you mention issues with the Mavic Mini which the SE is based on. Surely DJI have ironed out many of these by now and would at least update the OS or firmware on the newer released drone?

I read about a battery drain issue with the Mini 2, not yet sure if that has been fixed or adressed as of now.

@jon983 in your original post you mention you are just starting out in drones and looking for a drone for occasional use. You also are comparing the individual Mini 2 to the Mini SE Fly more combo which is much more bang for the $$$. Yes the Mini 2 that everyone is recommending you buy is more advanced - has a better camera, but the Mini SE also has a very good camera too. The real question is do you need and all of the features that the Mini 2 offers?

Questions to consider about the Mini 2:

Do you have a computer that can process the 4K video? Do you have editing software that can handle 4K?
Do you need 4K video? Are you going to be posting it somewhere?
Do you need RAW photos? Do you plan to post process your images?

Just some things to consider. Often people buy tech (drones/computers/etc) that have way more capabilities than they need or want. Resale value for a Mini SE is kind of a moot point as the selling price is already low to begin with.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Chris

Another reason I was initially leaning towards the cheaper option is that 4k is not a big selling point for me and I have no plans on putting together videos for posting or sharing. I've never been much into video, the only time I've shot 4k is when testing new camera bodies, then switch the settings back to 1080 to save space for whatever short clips i might record.
I don't see myself doing a whole lot of post processing for my intended uses, maybe cut the length of the clip or save some stills from the video. That's pretty much it. That said, it's a welcome addition to the Mini 2 especially since it allows for higher magnification of the images compared to 2.7k.

The ability to save RAW files is a plus also but from what I've seen of the JPEG's they are good enough for what I intend on using it for.

I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with either one but the Mini 2 seems to be the safer bet in the long term for all the various reasons you and all the others have pointed out. If a review of the SE comes out before my trip, I may consider it if there are any new or good points or features about it.

According to DJI (posted elsewhere) the Mini SE uses a Mini 2 shell fitted with Mavic Mini internals, so it's wind resistance is improved over the Mini.
The SE also has the Mini 2 LiPo battery.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian