DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 remains best value in spite of mini 3

Artemis

Reactions
Just my opinion, the mini 3 does look awesome but I tend to look at things from a budget perspective, the mini 2 if they keep it available remains the best for the money…. Literally almost half the money …. When my mini 2 breaks I’ll have to see if I can swing the mini 3 but really too bad it’s such a higher pricepoint

Comparing what I've seen showing up on YT about the Mini 3, it looks great and maybe worth the cost with the controller that has the screen. Need to see a few more reviews post release date before pondering whether I'd actually upgrade to one..

Get what you can afford is fine, if a Mini 3 is out of budget, then get a Mini 2, and if your near a Costco. they have a pretty good deal on them, though not a FlyMore Pack.

DJI knows it has the market by the tail. It would have competition if Autel corporate wasn't so clumsy and disorganized. If you've been paying attention, DJI is in a margin building mode at this time. They've priced and packaged their drones so that the margin they earn seems exponential to just the last series of drones. The Mini 3's standard controller is no upgrade, nor is the (same) one for Air2s and M3. That doesn't mean the Mini 3 isn't better than the Mini 2. The drone itself is better, by a good margin, I think. While comparatively overpriced compared to the Mini 2, were I to buy one (I have a Mini 2) I would hold my nose and write the check for the Mini 3 with the smart controller. Costly, I know. But IMO the weak link with the Mini 2, the Air2s and the M3... IS THE STANDARD CONTROLLER!

It is possible that down the road I'll replace my Mini 2 with the Mini 3, but will swallow my resistance to the price because the only way to take full advantage of the Mini 3 pro is to get the RC contoller. At least it has a bright screen and programmable C1 and C2 buttons and a second wheel. I have a Mavic 2 Pro with a really good controller and the extra buttons I find essential and miss them dearly on the Mini 2 controller. But why did DJI leave out the 5D button on their premium controller... Unless in the future they're going to make their $1200 smart controller for the M3 compatible with the Mini 3?

Last edited:
@vindibona1, you are correct, the costs are probably high in comparing to the Mini 2, even without the Smart Controller. I look at it perhaps a touch differently, Inflation, post covid supply issues, etc I think are contributing to higher costs. Not even pondering inflation in the US at the moment.. Even then I think you are still right, its probably still higher than it needs to be..

There some channel on YT called DM Productions I think, that has posted a handful of videos, perhaps you've spotted them, showing off the Mini 3, one video demoing low light performance was pretty good.. and the controller does look pretty good IF it all winds up being relatively stable after it ships.

One could question how he's getting away with it as well perhaps. but it still looks pretty interesting. I have an Air 2 now, and not really dissatisfied with it. However something a little more convenient to travel with and has better low light performance would not bother me either..

Just my opinion, the mini 3 does look awesome but I tend to look at things from a budget perspective, the mini 2 if they keep it available remains the best for the money…. Literally almost half the money …. When my mini 2 breaks I’ll have to see if I can swing the mini 3 but really too bad it’s such a higher pricepoint
Think of the Mini-2 mutating by splitting into two offspring with different price points.

| Mini-SE $300
Mini-2 $450 -----------> |
| Mini-3 $625

Personally, I think they'll keep the Mini-2, because that gives a nice spectrum of entry points for people with differing levels of price sensitivity.

But we'll see!

:cool:

Reactions: Ace.7 and Artemis
@vindibona1, you are correct, the costs are probably high in comparing to the Mini 2, even without the Smart Controller. I look at it perhaps a touch differently, Inflation, post covid supply issues, etc I think are contributing to higher costs. Not even pondering inflation in the US at the moment.. Even then I think you are still right, its probably still higher than it needs to be..

There some channel on YT called DM Productions I think, that has posted a handful of videos, perhaps you've spotted them, showing off the Mini 3, one video demoing low light performance was pretty good.. and the controller does look pretty good IF it all winds up being relatively stable after it ships.

One could question how he's getting away with it as well perhaps. but it still looks pretty interesting. I have an Air 2 now, and not really dissatisfied with it. However something a little more convenient to travel with and has better low light performance would not bother me either..
I think in today's environment one cannot look at previous prices for anything. When I order food I KNOW it's way higher than I paid last year. I just buy it because there isn't an alternative if you want the product. I, like many others just surrender to the new prices... or pass on the product. And one of the new terms that we see is "shrinkflation". While that usually applies to lower product volume at higher prices I think shrinkflation has been applying to DJI drones. M3 with a Mini 2's controller (comparing to the M2 controller). Just another form of shrinkflation.

Depending on my mindset down the road and what the actual Mini 3 reviews are, given time to update firmware and work out bugs, I could see myself paying up for a Mini 3 some time. But it would be a conscious decision that I wasn't buying any value relative to what I spent before and I would get the Mini 3 drone and some package (or not) configuration of the smart controller. I will wait, because in the back of my mind, with wishful thinking, DJI might make the M3 smart controller cross compatible with the Mini 3... and I would cough up the $1200 so I could have one controller that could be used for the Mini 3 and the same SMART controller that would be good with the M3 (when they come out with refurbs and can be bought with a reasonable discount.

As long as I can have fun with the mini 2, I'm going to enjoy it and not worry about up grades. Heck, at my age, I have to wear readers so a few mega pixels in vids or pics is not going to make a difference for me. Now, if my bird crashes, maybe I'll buy a mini 3.

As long as I can have fun with the mini 2, I'm going to enjoy it and not worry about up grades. Heck, at my age, I have to wear readers so a few mega pixels in vids or pics is not going to make a difference for me. Now, if my bird crashes, maybe I'll buy a mini 3.
For the average Joe hobbyist the Mini 2 is quite a formidable drone . While it doesn’t have the mass this size or the power of DJI’s larger drones, nor the ultimate image quality of the more expensive drones, for most recreational applications it is well good enough. If you’re a pro making money a Mini 3 or other will show up as a line item deduction on your tax return and net cost reduced. And let’s face the truth, until now plenty of folks were Shooting professionally with little or no complaints about image quality.

While you are right about the ancillary, additional inflational pressures. I will reiterate something I mentioned early and related it to food, but in a different sense: SHRINKFLATION. If you think features in terms of hardgoods, as you might volume in food, can you site one reason why a $3000 M3 having endured a HUGE price bump would have the same controller as their inexpensive Mini 2. One might expect, for $3000 you might have a controller, sans screen that had the same number and function of control buttonws that the M2 did, for over $1000 less... Again the M2 was ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS LESS. Other than the Ocusync change, they already had the extra button thing down, proven by the fact that they reappear on the M3's smart controller. Building a commensurate level standard controller, in the grand scheme of things, produced by Chinese labor would have cost them, what $100 per unit? $200? What would they have had to do, build a new case?

While you are right about the ancillary, additional inflational pressures. I will reiterate something I mentioned early and related it to food, but in a different sense: SHRINKFLATION. If you think features in terms of hardgoods, as you might volume in food, can you site one reason why a $3000 M3 having endured a HUGE price bump would have the same controller as their inexpensive Mini 2. One might expect, for $3000 you might have a controller, sans screen that had the same number and function of control buttonws that the M2 did, for over $1000 less... Again the M2 was ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS LESS. Other than the Ocusync change, they already had the extra button thing down, proven by the fact that they reappear on the M3's smart controller. Building a commensurate level standard controller, in the grand scheme of things, produced by Chinese labor would have cost them, what $100 per unit? $200? What would they have had to do, build a new case?
The relationship between costs and prices is tenuous at best. That's not how prices are set.

In a competitive market, which the drone market effectively isn't, prices approach marginal costs. Any given supplier, however, must cover their average cost as well, or go out of business.

Prices are ultimately determined by what people are willing to pay. There is zero obligation on the part of any supplier to link their prices to their costs. They aren't a charity, or a non-profit. They're in it to make money, and they will quite rightly charge whatever people are willing to pay.

From the consumer side, a product (or service) is offered for a price, and you can either buy it, or decide not to buy it.

Consumers worrying about producer costs is actually pretty nonsensical...

The relationship between costs and prices is tenuous at best. That's not how prices are set.

In a competitive market, which the drone market effectively isn't, prices approach marginal costs. Any given supplier, however, must cover their average cost as well, or go out of business.

Prices are ultimately determined by what people are willing to pay. There is zero obligation on the part of any supplier to link their prices to their costs. They aren't a charity, or a non-profit. They're in it to make money, and they will quite rightly charge whatever people are willing to pay.

From the consumer side, a product (or service) is offered for a price, and you can either buy it, or decide not to buy it.

Consumers worrying about producer costs is actually pretty nonsensical...
I get it. I was in business for over 30 years.. ROI is one thing. And while we believe in capitalism and sell for what you can get, or buy at what you can get, because of the relative, comparative prices, coupled with the obvious downgrade in (M3) controller, there are those of us who feel that the prices are a just bit predatory. JMO

The economics of all this are not perfectly clear, you can assume a few things perhaps, lack of chips, parts delays, production issues as China continues to try the impossible with "zero-covid", the extra cost for the delayed parts possibly. Additionally whatever the increased cost is for getting units to stores or customers via any shipping method..

Does that all add up to the price increases we see, maybe not, but DJI could be hedging their bet that things may be worse before they get better. Another problem potentially, is once they cost this much and things do improve, will they offer some sales prices or deals, because prices once they go up, seem to have trouble going back down.

Does that all add up to the price increases we see, maybe not, but DJI could be hedging their bet that things may be worse before they get better. Another problem potentially, is once they cost this much and things do improve, will they offer some sales prices or deals, because prices once they go up, seem to have trouble going back down.
If you lived as an adult between 1976 (actually 1970) and 1980 you've seen some things. Nowadays we are in a global economy and things move more or less in concert. If you remember those '76-'80 years, you know we are far from done "adjusting economically". I don't doubt that DJI bean counters and their algorithms know a few things that aren't apparent to us economic mortals.

Reactions: Macinfo
If you lived as an adult between 1976 (actually 1970) and 1980 you've seen some things. Nowadays we are in a global economy and things move more or less in concert. If you remember those '76-'80 years, you know we are far from done "adjusting economically". I don't doubt that DJI bean counters and their algorithms know a few things that aren't apparent to us economic mortals.
You I remember those years, Gas lines, more... didn't pay that close attention to it then as I do now.. I just knew where the problem was.. There were those that pushed this global economy after that too, and now were paying a price for that, as way to many things we need are not made here.. which also causes problems. One could get into a long discussion of how we got here way outside of why DJI's prices appear to be going through a roof.

You I remember those years, Gas lines, more... didn't pay that close attention to it then as I do now.. I just knew where the problem was.. There were those that pushed this global economy after that too, and now were paying a price for that, as way to many things we need are not made here.. which also causes problems. One could get into a long discussion of how we got here way outside of why DJI's prices appear to be going through a roof.
Yep. Long discussions we could. There are lessons from then that just aren't being heeded by people who were around and should know better.

Reactions: Macinfo
I get it. I was in business for over 30 years.. ROI is one thing. And while we believe in capitalism and sell for what you can get, or buy at what you can get, because of the relative, comparative prices, coupled with the obvious downgrade in (M3) controller, there are those of us who feel that the prices are a just bit predatory. JMO
I suggest that the notion of "predatory" is irrelevant in this context.

If a price is higher than you want to pay for something, don't buy it.

How is that predatory?

I just saw the official DJI teaser vids for the Mini-3 this morning. Very smooth and professional, which is not surprising.

I'm part way through watching the Pilot Institute panel discussion. Somewhat to my surprise, I'm warming up to that new RC that comes with it. One of the panelists said it was 700 cd/m, which is pretty dim for my preferences, but I'm warming up to the overall all-in-one RC configuration.

Of course, I have to get a job first...

;-)

Gas lines were a self-imposed abomination. That part, we did to ourselves.

It was lame.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bhop786