DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 RID

Aroberts

Reactions
Does anyone know if the mini 2 will be Remote ID Compliant with a firmware update? Ive seen some posts that say it may be able to be done as some of the Japanese versions have the capability to meet the Japan requirements.

Reactions: LoudThunder
I'm thinking DJI will not take the time to add that functionality since the FAA does not require Remote ID to be configured on drones that don't exceed 250 grams.

I'm thinking DJI will not take the time to add that functionality since the FAA does not require Remote ID to be configured on drones that don't exceed 250 grams.
Not exactly correct. ANY drone used for Part 107 or needing to be registered must have RID. The Mini 3 Pro has it.

ANY drone used for Part 107 or needing to be registered must have RID
True. I guess I assumed the OP wasn't using the Mini 2 for commercial work as it's probably not the go to drone for commercial work. But, I can see that was mentioned in the OP's other post on this topic.

It's probably going to depend on whether or not there are enough Part 107 flyers to justify the work needed on DJI's end.

Please accept this merely as I would disagree solely on the premise that the Mini 2 is a popular Drone with commercial flyers and I am not saying you are wrong. I am 107'd but I do not work commercially so please do not jump on me too hard for my "wrong thinking…" And understand, I am not saying you are wrong; it is very possible that DJI will not enable RID on the US Mini 2 for use in Part 107 commercial work as a way to phase out the Mini 2 and increase sales in the Mini 3 and other (yet to be marketed Drones…).

To backtrack a bit, when I bought my Mini 2 last February, the Menu had an entry for Remote ID, but it was not enabled. In subsequent Fly App version updates that "option" disappeared. So I have reason to believe that the hardware is installed in the Mini 2 for RID.

But, also in my defense, I think it was Fly Version 1.6.12 that enabled RID in the Japanese Mini 2s. Granted those drones may be different (firmware wise…) as those drones also fly with a half size battery. Even with the Prop Guards installed on a Japanese Mini 2, it still comes in under 249 grams.

So, assuming that the Japanese firmware is similar the US's Firmware since we are flying with the same version of the Fly App, I would venture that it will ultimately be enabled on the Mini 2.

Please accept this merely as I would disagree solely on the premise that the Mini 2 is a popular Drone with commercial flyers and I am not saying you are wrong. I am 107'd but I do not work commercially so please do not jump on me too hard for my "wrong thinking…" And understand, I am not saying you are wrong; it is very possible that DJI will not enable RID on the US Mini 2 for use in Part 107 commercial work as a way to phase out the Mini 2 and increase sales in the Mini 3 and other (yet to be marketed Drones…).

To backtrack a bit, when I bought my Mini 2 last February, the Menu had an entry for Remote ID, but it was not enabled. In subsequent Fly App version updates that "option" disappeared. So I have reason to believe that the hardware is installed in the Mini 2 for RID.

But, also in my defense, I think it was Fly Version 1.6.12 that enabled RID in the Japanese Mini 2s. Granted those drones may be different (firmware wise…) as those drones also fly with a half size battery. Even with the Prop Guards installed on a Japanese Mini 2, it still comes in under 249 grams.

So, assuming that the Japanese firmware is similar the US's Firmware since we are flying with the same version of the Fly App, I would venture that it will ultimately be enabled on the Mini 2.
I am 107 certified as well. I sure hope that they enable the RID feature. I have used my mini 2 for some commercial work and would like to be able to continue to do so once the FAA RID requirements are in effect.

I'm hoping the Air 2 gets an update as well for it. When I first got my MA2 in April 2021 there seemed to be some placeholders in place for RID as it was defined at the time. Maybe the Mini 2 had something similar.

I'd much prefer to not have to stick an outboard device on the drone to be able to keep flying it. With the mini, as soon as you add something it will be over 250 grams.

I'm hoping the Air 2 gets an update as well for it. When I first got my MA2 in April 2021 there seemed to be some placeholders in place for RID as it was defined at the time. Maybe the Mini 2 had something similar.

I'd much prefer to not have to stick an outboard device on the drone to be able to keep flying it. With the mini, as soon as you add something it will be over 250 grams.
With a Mini or Mini 2, only if you are flying under Part 107 will you need RID, so it will be registered anyway. No need to consider weight. Under 250 grams and recreational will not need it.

Seems like a possibility if the Mini 2 gets it. Neither are on this list yet though.

I do not believe you will ever see a Cat1 (sub 250-gram) Drone on this list as this classification of drone does not require a Declaration of Compliance (DOC) nor a Means of Compliance (MOC). Only Cat 2 and Cat 3 drones will require a DOC and MOC for FAA Certification (if that's the correct term…)

Cat 2 and Cat 3 Drones also have restrictions on "No Defects" and Impact Injury Ratings of 11 foot-pounds for the Cat 2 and 25 foot-pounds for the Cat 3. I liken these impact ratings to like getting hit in the head with Baseball Hardball and getting hit in the head with a 300 game strike of a Bowling Ball…

So, at this point, the Mini, Mini 2, and the Mini 3 are all Cat 1. However, Cat 1 Drones are those drones that weigh less than .55 pounds. If you put prop guards on your, anti-collision light, skins, or any other item that causes the drone weight to exceed .55 pounds then the drone is no longer a Cat 1, but that does not necessarily make it a Cat 2.

I think there is a void in the Regulation since the Cat 1 drones that blow the weight do not have a DOC nor MOC to fly…

Ho boy…

Last edited:
I do not believe you will ever see a Cat1 (sub 250-gram) Drone on this list as this classification of drone does not require a Declaration of Compliance (DOC) nor a Means of Compliance (MOC). Only Cat 2 and Cat 3 drones will require a DOC and MOC for FAA Certification (if that's the correct term…)
The Mini 3 Pro was added to the list on 8/12/2022. See more details here.

Reactions: rickmurray1989
This reply isn't very helpful, but I'll add some context as I think I know where you're heading.

For drones weighing less than 250 grams, Remote ID is only required if the drone is operated under rules that require registration (like Part 107).

Sorry for the curt reply... However, as you noted, Remote ID is required for all drones regardless of weight for commercial operations. Like many others, I do use my Mini 2, along with several other aircraft almost exclusively for my commercial photography business. Unlike a lot of folks on this forum, I don't have any problem with Remote ID - I see it as just another way of weeding out potentially bad actors, like those who fly drones illegally over football stadiums and baseball stadiums when the games are underway. Happy New Year!

I see it as just another way of weeding out potentially bad actors,
I agree with you up the point where the RID transmits the Controller Location, thus enabling Kevins and Karens to "self-appoint" themselves are "Deputies of the Law" or more correctly called vigilantes who will have even great opportunities to harass the pilots regardless of the circumstances…

This reply isn't very helpful, but I'll add some context as I think I know where you're heading.

For drones weighing less than 250 grams, Remote ID is only required if the drone is operated under rules that require registration (like Part 107).

With the latest firmware,Even for the mini 3 pro with regular battery Remote ID is being broadcast.
So at least for DJI drones if it is on the compliance FAA list of approved RID drones it is broadcasting
RID.Weight does not matter.

With the latest firmware,Even for the mini 3 pro with regular battery Remote ID is being broadcast.
So at least for DJI drones if it is on the compliance FAA list of approved RID drones it is broadcasting
Registration or not does not matter.In the mini 3 pro owners manual on page 72 I believe
it states the mini 3 pro is broadcasting Remote ID.

Weight does matter since that's one of the factors the FAA uses to determine which drones are required to broadcast RID information.

True. I guess I assumed the OP wasn't using the Mini 2 for commercial work as it's probably not the go to drone for commercial work. But, I can see that was mentioned in the OP's other post on this topic.

It's probably going to depend on whether or not there are enough Part 107 flyers to justify the work needed on DJI's end.
I have the mini2 and my 107 because I am selling my photography as a photographer. and this little bugger does an excellent job but I'm not going to add RID to it and will gift my mini2 and pick up something like the M3C for the better camera.

Attachments

• DJI_0240.jpg
    DJI_0240.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 18

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost