DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Swollen batteries

Drone Views Media

Reactions
Hi guys,

I purchased my Mini 2 direct from DJI in March, and despite my best efforts at battery management, I now have 2 batteries that are slightly swollen. Needles to say, I have just emailed DJI support, and hope they'll do the right thing. I certainly don't feel comfortable flying my drone with batteries in that state.

BTW, a quick tip to check if your batteries are swollen;

Point your drone camera down, and drop the battery into the battery slot, it should just slide in by itself, and do that for all of your batteries. If you notice resistance, you have a problem.

I'll let you guys know how I get on with DJI

Hi guys,

I purchased my Mini 2 direct from DJI in March, and despite my best efforts at battery management, I now have 2 batteries that are slightly swollen. Needles to say, I have just emailed DJI support, and hope they'll do the right thing. I certainly don't feel comfortable flying my drone with batteries in that state.

Point your drone camera down, and drop the battery into the battery slot, it should just slide in by itself, and do that for all of your batteries. If you notice resistance, you have a problem.

Whatever you do, don't fly with these batteries.

I'd like a clarification on how to check for swollen Mini 2 batteries.
Pointing the camera down and insert batteries would assume that the batteries have not just been used.
Wouldn't it be more logical to try this after the battery has just been used, and therefore hot and swollen?

Reactions: Drone Views Media
I'd like a clarification on how to check for swollen Mini 2 batteries.
Pointing the camera down and insert batteries would assume that the batteries have not just been used.
Wouldn't it be more logical to try this after the battery has just been used, and therefore hot and swollen?
Hi there,

In my case, I always allow the batteries to cool before doing my regular checks. I fail to see any point doing my checks right after a flight ...unless of course, there's something really obviously wrong.

I regularly check my batteries a few hours after a flight, and give them another examination before a flight. My batteries were clearly swollen to the feel, and also when I tried to put them in the drone. Simple pics didn't show it properly, so I sent them a quick video. Lucky for me, DJI support came through, and will replace them under the standard warranty.
Another example why, even with budget drones, it pays to go with a company like DJI

All you have to do is set the battery on a flat surface..if it rocks it's swollen. I wish you luck with DJI. I've read on this forum that batteries have been replaced. I wouldn't expect it to happen very often. Just curious..how many charges?

All you have to do is set the battery on a flat surface..if it rocks it's swollen. I wish you luck with DJI. I've read on this forum that batteries have been replaced. I wouldn't expect it to happen very often. Just curious..how many charges?
Yeah, I could have easily done that, but this was a simple enough way to demonstrate the issue too. I did approx 35 cycles on the faulty batteries. As regards DJI, they have already said they'll replace them

Reactions: hiflyer201
Drone Views I have also heard that charging a battery soon after a flight does negatively impact the batter. In other words let it cool down first before you charge it. So based on what I am saying can you tell me how and when you recharged your drone batteries? Thank you.

Hi guys,

Hey Brother how are you doing today I know exactly what you are talking about with swollen LIPO's I used to run into it alot back when they first come out new on the RC CAR and TRUCK RACING circuit B/C besides flying our AWESOME DJI MINI-2 I also race RC CARS AND TRUCKS and have been for off and on for about 35+ years or so and I come across the swollen LIPO's when they first hit the scene in RC RACING B/C I didn't know anything about that yet but I do now I have found out over the years that you can take your LIPO BATTERY PACK SOFT OR HARD PACK and hold it up to a lamp or the ceiling light and if it is swollen up with a little bit of a bulge you will definitely be able to see it in or around the center middle of the PACK and like you said you will have a little bit of a tight fit on trying to put or take it out of our MINI-2! and I have learned over the years that you need to take the voltage percentage down to around 20% give or take a little bit either way I've been hovering around the 17% mark and I always do my decharging manually even though DJI gave us the new update on fixing the issues with it I'll just keep doing what I'm doing for the self decharging manually part and yes I have seen where they are saying that we can leave a 40-50% charge on the batteries but I know from my own experience that it will still swell up it just takes longer to do so and as far as the battery being swollen up I'd definitely would not fly with it and I would absolutely replace it ASAP! and how we dispose of the old LIPO BATTERY PACK we will take a bucket of water filled up to about 3/4 of the way to the top of it and then take the voltage to as low as you can get it and have the bucket out in the back yard away from the house just in case anything happens but it has never been bad for us but anyway take some regular table salt and about 5 TABLE SPOONS FULL and mix it up in the bucket of water and with the batteries voltage percentage down as low as you can get it and being that it's a hard case battery you need to make a little hole on the bottom of the batteries in the back of them preferably so the water will get into the case to the 2-cells inside of it and just leave it for over night if possible or at least 8-10 hours and that will definitely dispose of your old LIPO BATTERY PACK's Brother God Bless You ✝️ I really hope that this helps you out and anyone else who is going through this issue. Sincerely Clay B./// B.T.W. I almost forgot to tell you that hopefully DJI will honor your issue of swollen LIPO's being that you have not had your MINI-2 a year yet so it should still be under the 1-year warranty and I would think that DJI would replace your LIPO's I hope that it works out for you Brother keep us posted ?✝️?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7