DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 tight motor

rcb

Reactions
One motor tighter than others. Loosened up a little after Taking off and flying for about 30 seconds. I don’t know if I should fly it any longer. It didn’t seem to feel hot after that short time. Maybe I should just fly a little longer and see if it gets warm? Any suggestions? Oil or what type?

If there is any real problem with the motor, it should affect ther performance in some visible ways. I would suggest checking out 3 things :

1) hovering duration
2) max speed in normal mode
3) max speed in sport mode

If all are normal, there should be nothing to worry about.

If there is any real problem with the motor, it should affect ther performance in some visible ways. I would suggest checking out 3 things :

1) hovering duration
2) max speed in normal mode
3) max speed in sport mode

If all are normal, there should be nothing to worry about.
I checked the three things you mentioned and performance seemed normal. It did keep saying is was in atti mode but I think that was likely due to the location I went to, where I had room to try max speeds. There were a number of potential signal interferences there. Chain-link fences in front of me at times for example. I don’t think it really was in atti mode because it braked and hovered like normal. I have regained some confidence again but am still puzzled about the one motor as it is still very slightly tighter than the others. But who knows? Maybe it is the best one. There are a couple of posts that do mention motors seizing. Thanks for your help.

You have me curious now. Can you tell me how the bearings are lubricated? Friction is a great science.
Never looked... but all the DJI instructions say just keep it clean and don’t lubricate. Maybe just wear bushings or close tolerance construction.

I don’t think it really was in atti mode because it braked and hovered like normal.
That is a bug of the FLY APP 1.2.2 that has been widely reported. The message is just wrongly issued. There is no effect on the actual operation of the craft as you have experienced.

I have regained some confidence again but am still puzzled about the one motor as it is still very slightly tighter than the others. But who knows? Maybe it is the best one. There are a couple of posts that do mention motors seizing. Thanks for your help.

What you felt is more likely the attractive force between the magnet on the motor case and the stator instead of friction inside the bearing. May be some of the magnets are mounted slight out of place ?

Last edited:
That is a bug of the FLY APP 1.2.2 that has been widely reported. The message is just wrongly issued. There is no effect on the actual operation of the craft as you have experienced.

What you felt is more likely the attractive force between the magnet on the motor case and the stator instead of friction inside the bearing. May be some of the magnets are mounted slight out of place ?
Thanks, I've made quite a few flights lately and it seems to be working fine. I think it has even loosened up a little

I came here to post the exact same question as I have the same issue, which one of yours is stiff? On mine it is the one on the port side at the bow to use maritime terminology.

When you flick the propellers on the other 3 they are loose and spin freely, when I flick the propellers on the one with the issue they don't rotate freely.

I have this too, one motor spins less freely than the others, feels lumpy/rough for want of a better word like magnetic resistance.

You have me curious now. Can you tell me how the bearings are lubricated? Friction is a great science.
Speculation, but most things of this nature will use a sealed ball or needle bearing, likely to be lubricated for the life of the bearing. It is not possible to lube from the bearing's exterior. Many automobiles use this same sort of thing these days. Normally I would prefer something I can lube, however, at the scale of the M2 motors, any benefit in the ability to lube the bearing would probably be offset or more by the detriment caused from foreign object debris like dust and sand. Most "wet" lubricants like greases and oils attract and adhere dust and sand, so having the bearings sealed is desirable.

How long have you had the Mini 2? Any crashes that favored that motor?
If the Mini 2 is relatively new and it has not crashed, I would suggest that the tight motor might loosen after some run in.

My mini2 has developed this stiff to rotate issue. All my props were easy to move by a slight finger motion, the left front is much stiffer, its clean but if i rotate the casing (the silver ring) back and forth it seems to free up. Flys fine but leave i over night and its stiff again. No idea whats going on.

Reactions: Hiwayman
My mini2 has developed this stiff to rotate issue. All my props were easy to move by a slight finger motion, the left front is much stiffer, its clean but if i rotate the casing (the silver ring) back and forth it seems to free up. Flys fine but leave i over night and its stiff again. No idea whats going on.
Ive had the same....returned to dji...it was replaced under warranty.

I have heard that some people have this engine problem. This causes contact between the magnets and the metal bell.
just rotate the motor and check the space below.

Cattura.PNG

I developed the same issue today with my pro 2. I was flying very low and had a very light encounter with my house wall, (drone got pushed into the wall by the wind whilst filming my putting up xmas lights. I know, use prop guards). Anyway, after coming back from the shops with my prop guard (yes, horse had already bolted). I noticed that one prop was very tight and clunky to turn. When powering up it made a sound like a leaf in a bicycle wheel. Dreading a return for repair so close to the summer holidays here in Australia, I used my airbrush compressor to blow through the motor, ran them take props off), blew again, ran them several times over. Also gave the offending motor a very light "flush" with a spray of electronic cleaning solvent (not the type with silicon lube in it). Gradually the sound and tightness went away and now all is good. Reckon it sucked a bit of debris into the motors when it fell behind the flower pot and running / blowing repeatedly did the job. Motors now humming beautiful, clean and cool behind me as type. Highly recommend the purchase of a cheap airbrush compressor as I use it after flying over salty water and landing in dirt, sand etc. Worth every cent of $70 or so from Aldi

Update with no intervention, the motor is freely spinning pretty much the same as the others. Very odd but not complaining.

Had this problem with my Mini 2 last summer. A drop of light machine oil worked wonders ever since. I suspect "no oil" Thomas may not be speaking from knowledge, but who knows?

Had this problem with my Mini 2 last summer. A drop of light machine oil worked wonders ever since. I suspect "no oil" Thomas may not be speaking from knowledge, but who knows?
According to a DJI tech I spoke to, no oil is correct. Bearings in the motors that DJI uses are sealed bearings and never require lubricant. If you oil these bearings they attract dirt and dust and actually decrease the motor. If necessary, just air blow out or clean with a non oily solvent spray then blow and allow to evaporate dry.

I lubricated the engines a while ago and no problem. a small drop of oil certainly does not hurt the bearings.

for the lubrication of my small bearings, I made this small dispenser.

Attachments

• 20211230_221626.jpg
    20211230_221626.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member