DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Toilet bowling... Caused by anti collision lights?

Kywon McCain

⭐Smooth Operator⭐
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Last night I was flying because some kids my age were out and I wanted to make friends with them

As we all know (unless you live on Mars) we are required to have

These 20220812_105824.jpg

(these are anti collision lights)

It was night so I put these on

Pretty much immediately on take off
It toilet bowled alot

So I took them off

All fine now?...

My mavic mini 2 allergic to anti collision lights?

Here are the places I put them
(I have it lit up like Christmas tree20220812_110038.jpg20220812_110044.jpg20220812_110049.jpg20220812_110109.jpg
Maybe they are placed in wrong places?

• Wow
Reactions: Torque
How many are you using?

I see six mounting spots.

I would experiment on the placement of the strobes.

At least one on top to start and see how it flys.

If that works, then maybe try the sides.

Anything you mount to the aircraft should be balanced as much as possible.

Don't stick one on an arm and then one on the back.

I'm not sure of the "payload" specifications of the Mini 2 are, but it may be too much weight if using six strobes.

Especially if it's not balanced.

Reactions: Torque
Two on side two on each arm

Take the ones off the arms and see how that works.

You may have too much weight on the arms that is causing an imbalance to the aircraft.

Reactions: Jam0ne
You really only need one on top legally. Anything else is overkill.
I just like lights because it look good and so I can see drone better

The GPS sensor is on top of the drone to best receive positioning signals. Putting anything on your top shell could be blocking and limiting the strength and amount of satellites you'll be receiving. Test your GPS reception with the lights mounted and off.

Are you flying under 107 or 44809?

Unless you're flying under non-recreational rules (107), you are not legally required to have 3SM anti-collision strobes. And you certainly don't need more than one.

Just put one on the top if you are using them. The rest aren't necessary. I do appreciate your commitment to stick to the rules though. You say you're a teenager. I know many adults with drones that aren't as committed to that as you are.

As someone who has to frequently deal with the ones who aren't as committed, thanks for doing that!

Are you flying under 107 or 44809?

Unless you're flying under non-recreational rules (107), you are not legally required to have 3SM anti-collision strobes. And you certainly don't need more than one.

Just put one on the top if you are using them. The rest aren't necessary. I do appreciate your commitment to stick to the rules though. You say you're a teenager. I know many adults with drones that aren't as committed to that as you are.

As someone who has to frequently deal with the ones who aren't as committed, thanks for doing that!
I'm recreational
Not old enough for 107
And even if you have 107 you are required to have them

According to your profile, you're 17. 16 is the minimum age for 107.

Yes, under 107 it is required. Under 44809 is it not.
Is 44809 mean recreational?

Is 44809 mean recreational?
Yes, sorry. I tend to speak in "FAA Talk" on occasion. 44809 contains the recreational rules for flying drones in the US.

Yes, sorry. I tend to speak in "FAA Talk" on occasion. 44809 contains the recreational rules for flying drones in the US.
Oh
Yeah I am required to have lights at night

Oh
Yeah I am required to have lights at night
Hello, I have done a few night flights with my mini 2 and I only used one Lume Cube light on top. I understand you like having all those lights, but I would start looking at payload weight as the mini 2 does have some limitations that 6 lights is most likely challenging. If you can get the balance dialed in properly, maybe you could find some smaller and lower weight lights that work better. I am not sure what else is out there, but led light technology has advanced a lot recently!

• Love
Reactions: Kywon McCain
Regretfully, the added weight of the lights also makes the helicopter over-weight and illegal for its class.

Have Fun!

Regretfully, the added weight of the lights also makes the helicopter over-weight and illegal for its class.

Have Fun!
what do you mean illegal

Since the take off weight may be more than 249 grams when using the strobe(s), it should be registered with the FAA.

No big deal.

$5 USD and the numbers look cool.

If you haven't done it yet, swing by and take the TRUST test too.

It's a free no fail test that's easy to take.

Reactions: YVRGUY
I'm by no means an expert but you have, to my eye at least, too much weight forward of center mass. And overkill so far as required lighting( you need to be visible from 3 miles away using an appropriate strobe light, not you need to light up the entire 113 cubic mile area for all the world to read by). Using a firehouse strobe as reference you're only carrying about 24-30g of weight and the Mini2 is capable of about 240 so you're well under the limit but when you have your side 2 roughly centered, the back facing one almost aligned with your rear props but the the top is forward of center and then both front strobes on the armature by my estimation about 60% more load at the front compared to the back. When you factor in the drone dips it's nose for forward flight that weight becomes something of an anchor that the rear motors will pivot on. If you like lights I'd suggest getting the little ones that stick under the 4 motors for effects and then 1 strobe centered on top for FAA requirements. You would be more balanced and drop about 8- 12 grams of weight. Hope this helps

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
ONE strobe on TOP over the battery. That’s all. Otherwise you are changing the aerodynamics. Do NOT place strobe anywhere that may interfere with the GPS. Over the battery compartment is usually safe. Two strobes usually puts the drone weight more than 249g, so that may change the requirements depending on the country where you live.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato