DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini-2 took a bath in the pool

FlynHokie

Reactions
So, idiot operator error resulted in my mini-2 getting splashed while flying over a pool, and subsequently falling out of the sky into the chlorinated water. Drone was splashed pretty well, and maintained hover for about 20 seconds, then camera lost control (pointed straight down) video feed terminated, and drone fell nose first into the pool. Recovered in about 30 seconds, battery removed, and drone fully dried out w/ forced air and days in silica container.

Given the obvious short due to water intrusion during flight, I decided to take the drone apart to assess components. Smoked the wires to the two aft motors at the ESC connection, two front ones looks like some insulation melted (See picture) I'm guessing ESC is fried.

Replacing the ESC seems easy, and relatively cheap ($50 or so). My concern is that I won't know the condition of the rest of the components until I replace the ESC, which could lead to a never ending and very expensive fix.

Does anyone have any guesses on the likelihood of the other components being destroyed also? Do you think it's worth trying to recover this bird, or just buy a replacement?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Attachments

• 20220705_234935.jpg
    20220705_234935.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Wow
Reactions: eva2000
if you want to be really sure that you have no issues in the future ,then just purchase a new or used drone ,and link it to your RC ,the one that got dunked will never really be reliable or safe

The black on the rear motor wires is not smoke or burning, if that is what you are thinking, it is a paint, or glue or sealant that DJI use, there may be also be traces of it on the front wires.
If camera control went screwy then I'd suspect there is damage there too. I would also be surprised if the camera's optics and sensor remained dry.
Can you switch the drone on, or have you switched the drone on?
If so is there any video signal?
If so what is/was it like?
Does the gimbal behave itself?
Replacing a gimba/camera is not a straight swap PLUS, as you say, you don't know is any problem is elsewhere on one of the boards the drive the gimbal camera.

If repairs are necessary I would be inclined to get a quote from DJI, they are sometimes surprisingly cheap but check their inspection fee first, just incase you decide the quote is too high.

Last edited:
I tried to power the drone up, but get nothing.
Gonna send it into DJI to see what they will charge to repair it. Thanks for the info! Their prices do seem reasonable - and they will quote you before beginning work. I'll see if it's better to buy new after that.

I tried to power the drone up, but get nothing.
Gonna send it into DJI to see what they will charge to repair it. Thanks for the info! Their prices do seem reasonable - and they will quote you before beginning work. I'll see if it's better to buy new after that.
Best of Luck.
What did you think was the short?

if you want to be really sure that you have no issues in the future ,then just purchase a new or used drone ,and link it to your RC ,the one that got dunked will never really be reliable or safe

^^ This

For what an aircraft only (or even flymore now they are being discounted) might cost, new, refurb, or 2nd hand, it will be a much better option than trying to work through ongoing issues, replacing this, then that, then still not flying properly, or filming properly, etc.
That's on top of the safety issues !

DJI sometimes supply drone only in such cases as yours, but they don't advertise it, you have to ask.

^^ This

For what an aircraft only (or even flymore now they are being discounted) might cost, new, refurb, or 2nd hand, it will be a much better option than trying to work through ongoing issues, replacing this, then that, then still not flying properly, or filming properly, etc.
That's on top of the safety issues !

DJI sometimes supply drone only in such cases as yours, but they don't advertise it, you have to ask.
Ditto. New circuit boards, motor arms, gimbal…it’s a no brainer…refurb or second hand. I can only imagine underlying issues. Anyways, good luck in your search for a replacement. 👍

I would recommend a new drone. The last thing you want to find out after you replace the esc is that the gimbal or something else is destroyed.
Good luck and enjoy your new drone!

By the way, If you do not like the DJI quote and look instead for a replacement, I would ( assuming you get it back) keep the old one for parts or sell it on ebay and "for parts". People want them and some times pay silly money for them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest