DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 UK rules

RobotBee

Reactions
I am fully aware of the current rules relating to sub 250g drones in the UK.

I have heard from someone on a YouTube channel that those rules might change in the future (if/when the Mini 2 is sold as C0 rather than Unclassified), but those changes will not apply to anyone who's already bought a Mini 2 under the current rules.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't really see how that would work - how could they link the purchase date of your drone to the rules you're allowed to fly under? What if you bought a second hand drone after the change, that was originally bought before the change etc?

I think this is all speculation based on the rules as they're worded at the moment.
Presumably it's possible that future models of the Mini 2 would have C1 stamped the body somewhere meaning officially they're in a different category.

More likely I suspect that in the future DJI would release a C0 compliant model (say the Mini 3) and also a slightly larger C1 model.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
@RobotBee ,regardless of what happens further down the line ,the sub 250g Mini2 and MM will even after 2022 still be able to fly as there do so now ,they just wont have the C rating classification, but things can ,and do change ,and who's to say that will always be the case

I think this is all speculation based on the rules as they're worded at the moment.
Presumably it's possible that future models of the Mini 2 would have C1 stamped the body somewhere meaning officially they're in a different category.

More likely I suspect that in the future DJI would release a C0 compliant model (say the Mini 3) and also a slightly larger C1 model.
In the UK the Mini 2 is classed as C0 not a toy, it can fly in A1, as it has a camera you need to register as a drone operator with the CAA and pay £9.

They may be marked C0 in the future. See attached.Open-Category-Breakdown.jpeg

In the UK the Mini 2 is classed as C0 not a toy, it can fly in A1, as it has a camera you need to register as a drone operator with the CAA and pay £9.

They may be marked C0 in the future. See attached.View attachment 125970
To be super pedantic the Mini 2 is not classed as C0.
There are currently no C0 drones (or C1, or C2 or C anything).

The Mini 2 (like all drones currently on sale) is a legacy drone.
If it's under 250g weight at the time it is flown, it can be flown **as if** it were a C0 (not a toy) drone and currently there is no end date for this arrangement.

We don't yet know whether the Mini 2 will ever get an official C designation - nor is it entirely clear what C designation it would get (which is Ian's point about MTOM vs Flying Weight).

To be super pedantic the Mini 2 is not classed as C0.
There are currently no C0 drones (or C1, or C2 or C anything).

The Mini 2 (like all drones currently on sale) is a legacy drone.
If it's under 250g weight at the time it is flown, it can be flown **as if** it were a C0 (not a toy) drone and currently there is no end date for this arrangement.

We don't yet know whether the Mini 2 will ever get an official C designation - nor is it entirely clear what C designation it would get (which is Ian's point about MTOM vs Flying Weight).
Yep my mistake, it will be legacy < 250g, so all's good, flying in A1 with great freedom compared to the A2, A3. Happy days.

Enjoying my Mini 2 marked with 249g. Now why would DJI stamp that on there ? Don't answer, DJI are not fools and they know their market and the regulators.

Just to clarify the Mini 2 will never gain a classification as it‘s already on the market, CE Approvals cannot be retrospective. The only way the ‘Mini’ will be classified is if DJI re-submit to an approvals body, and it will be designated with a different name, unique identification number and any additional criteria defined in the legislation...... I could take a wild guess, maybe it will be called the Mini 3?

I could take a wild guess, maybe it will be called the Mini 3?
Maybe it would be easier on them to just go with a slightly different naming convention, for instance MiniUS, MiniUK, MiniEU, etc, etc. And of course, Mini3US, Mini3UK, etc.
They could all have there respective nation's flags on them, and a place for the local regulator's phone number. ?

Maybe it would be easier on them to just go with a slightly different naming convention, for instance MiniUS, MiniUK, MiniEU, etc, etc. And of course, Mini3US, Mini3UK, etc.
They could all have there respective nation's flags on them, and a place for the local regulator's phone number. ?
They could call it ‘fish’ but it would still need to go through an approvals process and obtain a UIN.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143