DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 with a mini se gimbal.

Ol Drippy

Reactions
Hi all. Noob here. I recently purchased a mini 2 for cheap. My first drone. The gimbal was replaced with one from an SE and does not work. The mini 2 camera is the same. I asked the seller if he tried to calibrate it with python. He had not so I gave it a shot. The gimbal move ever so slightly during calibration and stopped. Calibrating didn't work. I've read online that the gimbals are the same for the mini 2's and the SE's but are they really? Should I get a mini 2 gimbal? If anyone can give me some insight into this it would be most appreciated. I've been looking for a couple of days for a compatibly answer with no luck. Thanks so much.

According to the specs in their manuals they are not the same camera. The mini 2 offers 4k and JPEG+RAW whereas the SE is limited to 2.7k and JPEG, there are other differences as well.
Whether they are all hardware or software related I do not know.
The gimbals also have different specs, the "Max Control Speed (tilt) " is greater in the, SE 120°/s vs 100°/s
Post the EXACT pyhton commands you issued.

Reactions: Ol Drippy
Thanks for replying. The previous owner just replaced the gimbal and not the camera. He transfered the 4k cam into the SE gimbal. The camera worked but the gimbal doesn't. It just points off to the side and down much like a sad child. Externally the gimbal's are the same. Internally I don't know. They may not be compatible. As for the python calibration I used DJI Firmware Tools on Ifixit and other YouTube videos. Thanks

Thanks for replying. The previous owner just replaced the gimbal and not the camera. He transfered the 4k cam into the SE gimbal. The camera worked but the gimbal doesn't. It just points off to the side and down much like a sad child. Externally the gimbal's are the same. Internally I don't know. They may not be compatible. As for the python calibration I used DJI Firmware Tools on Ifixit and other YouTube videos. Thanks
I asked you to post the script as you entered it in python, there are various versions of the script out there in the internet, it seems that some work in only limited cases and another version of the script is needed.
You might like to read Gimbal calibration after repair, I am stuck, Mavic Mini but may apply to other models.

Ok. I see what you mean. First "python comm_og_service_tool.py --port Com5 WM160 GimbalCalib Joint Coarse" Second "python comm_og_service_tool.py --port Com5 WM160 GimbalCalib LinearHall"
Without quotations of course.

Have you confirmed that you are using the correct port number
try py instead of python i.e.
py comm_og_service_tool.py --port com5 WM160 GimbalCalib JointCoarse
py comm_og_service_tool.py --port Com5 WM160 GimbalCalib LinearHall

I think that's thread I followed and the above might have been what I typed although I don't think my port was number 5.

Have you confirmed that you are using the correct port number
try py instead of python i.e.
py comm_og_service_tool.py --port com5 WM160 GimbalCalib JointCoarse
py comm_og_service_tool.py --port Com5 WM160 GimbalCalib LinearHall

I think that's thread I followed and the above might have been what I typed although I don't think my port was number 5.
Yes. My port is 5. After I ran the first script the gimbal moved a small bit but hardly enough for calibration. That makes me wonder if there's something under the hood that makes the SE gimbal incompatible.

Yes. My port is 5. After I ran the first script the gimbal moved a small bit but hardly enough for calibration. That makes me wonder if there's something under the hood that makes the SE gimbal incompatible.
I doubt we will ever know, of course the original swapper could have broken the gimbal. Besides, I would suspect it was either a salvaged part or a pattern part to begin with. As far as I know DJI do not sell such parts to the general public or permit there agents to do so.....at least that seems to be the way it is in the UK.

It had crossed my mind that there was something off mechanically in the gimbal. When powered off it is cocked downward to the right. When I straighten it up it wants to springs back. There seems to be a slight tension keeping it at that angle. I suspect the table is causing that. Having said that I have nothing to compare it to so maybe that's what it's supposed to do. First drone and all.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo