DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 legs 3d print?

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I have a Mini3 on order but the fact that it lands flat on its' belly is not a happy thing for me. I will fly often with the drone landing on snow. I would love a set of legs for the Mini that would allow the drone to land with the belly off the snow/ice. If anyone has plans for such or knows of a source for them, let me know. I'm sure DJI had a fair bit of discussion on the weight and aerodynamics vs landing on the belly so no complaints about their decision but I'll give up a bit of aero and weight for keeping the belly off the deck.

Reactions: Torque
You can be absolutely sure, there will be plenty of 3rd party accessories coming in, sun hoods, leg extenders, strobes, lens hoods, filters and gimbal protectors ... you name it.

But you have to wait a bit longer, I would expect end of June to July when its widely available and distributed.

Reactions: Gary R
@pilotinstitute made some and said they will upload the STL somewhere once they get it refined. Not sure they have done that yet.

Reactions: Octisurfer
Hand launch and catch?

I would assume you are aware of the drone's weight but just in case. It is reported to be 248g in its birthday suit, virtually any addition will put it over 250g if that is a consideration for you.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
I think based on the Mini 3 design there won't be leg extensions like the Mini 2 and others but there will be some sort of "lifter" that gets it off it's belly. Right now for the Mini 2 there is a sled-like attachment instead of individual ones that fit over each leg. Though as I look at the photo of the Mini 3 I think there are opportunities to get it off the ground. I think the downside compared to the Mini 2 would be that you would have to install and uninstall each time you take it out. The upside might be that much or most of the time you wouldn't need a belly lift if launching from a dry flat surface. I wonder what the actual weight of the bare Mini 3 actually is. Someone will come up with something. It may be that one might be able to get creative and attach velcro to the 3's bottom and use a couple of Arc V strobes as "belly landers"? Kill two birds with one stone?
1652641865629.png 1652641340613.png 1652641542433.png

Attachments

• 1652641529740.png
    1652641529740.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 14
I think the Rescue Jacket is going to be very sleek and allow you to land on the water and the snow with a very stream line design and minimum foot print , will keep you posted on the build .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water / Snow

I am planning on designing all kinds of things for the Mini 3, but I obviously need the drone in hand first (which might be next week).

As for leg extensions, it will surely put it over the weight limit, so maybe hand launch and land is the best option. I suppose it is also possible to design a simple takeoff-stand that would keep the drone a bit off the ground for takeoff, but which would not be attached to the drone. Landing would have to be in hand or on the ground, though.

@globetrotterdrone You mention gimbal protector, but the drone comes with an original one? I designed what became the most popular gimbal protector for the Fimi X8, but that drone came without a protector, so there was clearly a need. Not so with the Mini 3 Pro, right?

You mention gimbal protector, but the drone comes with an original one? I designed what became the most popular gimbal protector for the Fimi X8, but that drone came without a protector, so there was clearly a need. Not so with the Mini 3 Pro, right?
I guess, we'll see.
I had my original M2P flimsy bulb protector in mind, this was a real pain to apply in the field sometimes.
Got a tip here for an other model, there were very cheap and yet better protectors out there, slim and way easier to fit (and if you applied a bit of foam tape below, it was as secure).

71OYPvC4o6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Even if there's no real need, ie because DJI provides one, there still be better thought-trough accessories coming. ;)
With the all new design of the gimbal of the Mini 3 Pro, I guess, most designs will still be sphere-like as it fits probably best concerning the size.

Regarding catching by hand...for 6mo of the year I may be flying in 20mph wind at -20F. I suppose catching by gloved hands is an option :)... but I'm more apt to stay in the car without a heavy winter jacket, nice and cozy until I go out and grab the little sucker :), hence my desire for something that will keep the little bugger off it's belly while landing on irregular snow and ice. In the summer I just use a butterfly net.

I am not personally interested in keeping it at the 249 limit, but that is just me. I would like some clip on landing legs. I would hope that a few accessory vendors will offer them soon.

I have a Mini3 on order but the fact that it lands flat on its' belly is not a happy thing for me. I will fly often with the drone landing on snow. I would love a set of legs for the Mini that would allow the drone to land with the belly off the snow/ice. If anyone has plans for such or knows of a source for them, let me know. I'm sure DJI had a fair bit of discussion on the weight and aerodynamics vs landing on the belly so no complaints about their decision but I'll give up a bit of aero and weight for keeping the belly off the deck.
Here is a link. Printed these and they weigh 7g. Fair price. I am going to be printing and selling them with the persmission of the creator. Just to recoup my costs. The clip on super fast and come off easy. Yes they will make your drone slightly over 250g but better than a belly land

Here is a link. Printed these and they weigh 7g. Fair price. I am going to be printing and selling them with the persmission of the creator. Just to recoup my costs. The clip on super fast and come off easy. Yes they will make your drone slightly over 250g but better than a belly land

I saw no option to buy them but if that becomes available I'll pick up a couple pair (me and a friend)

I saw no option to buy them but if that becomes available I'll pick up a couple pair (me and a friend)

I had them printed very inexpensively by Sunrize3DCreations ([email protected]) who is on Etsy but I went direct with him as well as the controller shade and the little MicroSDCard popper. :) All the items were posted on CULT buy a user on this forum @mroek in other threads. Have all the printed parts but no drone yet so I can't vouch for fit. All the items are posted in various threads here.3d.jpg

Last edited:
I have received permission from the designer to print and sell the legs and will be selling them very shortly. Where are you located?

I had them printed very inexpensively by Sunrize3DCreations ([email protected]) who is on Etsy but I went direct with him as well as the controller shade and the little MicroSDCard popper. :) All the items were posted on CULT buy a user on this forum @mroek in other threads. Have all the printed parts but no drone yet so I can't vouch for fit. All the items are posted in various threads here.View attachment 149382

Just curious...what did he charge you for the legs? Did you have to buy the file from mroek first?

Just curious...what did he charge you for the legs? Did you have to buy the file from mroek first?

Yes, I purchased the file. It was like $4.50 for the legs and $4.50 for the shipping, or $5 and $4 ... came to like $8,89 plus the cost of the file. That's $US and I had it in like 4 days. (I see you are in Canada)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica