DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 overheating when sitting idle

test2000Anafi

Reactions
Looks like there is the first confirmed issue; if the drone is on a table and idle then it will overheat. “iPhonedo” mentioned this in the review.
is this the first DJI drone to exhibit this?

in any way I thought this could be important. Maybe other reviews mentioned it as well?

I would consider it good practise to direct the output of a fan over ANY drone that was sitting powered up for a long time.
The Mini 3 likely does not have a fan, the Mini 2 gets hot to the touch with out a draught blowing over it or air moving through it. I can't remember about the Mavic Mini.
If I am not using a fan on the Mini 2 I stand it on its side, arms open so that the heat can generate an airflow under and over the heatsink.

Confirmed issue? I would say not.

Reactions: Torque
all drones whether they have an internal fan or not,will get quite hot if sitting on a surface during updates etc
this is even more pronounced ,in very hot conditions ,even though i live in the UK where temps are fairly reasonable for most of the year
i have always used a desk fan to cool not only the drone ,but also my batteries and charger ,during charging
this keeps temps in the mid range during such times

all drones whether they have an internal fan or not,will get quite hot if sitting on a surface during updates etc
this is even more pronounced ,in very hot conditions ,even though i live in the UK where temps are fairly reasonable for most of the year
i have always used a desk fan to cool not only the drone ,but also my batteries and charger ,during charging
this keeps temps in the mid range during such times
Agree... Mini 1 was bad for this always had a small fan blowing on it if sitting for a long time on.

Reactions: old man mavic
Greg from The Pilot Institute had the same issue as it sat on his desk updating. Greg states in his review that this is the ONLY drone he has ever had overheat while updating/sitting idle. However he has not had overheating issues during flight so far.

Reactions: DynoTech
Looks like there is the first confirmed issue; if the drone is on a table and idle then it will overheat. “iPhonedo” mentioned this in the review.
is this the first DJI drone to exhibit this?

in any way I thought this could be important. Maybe other reviews mentioned it as well?
Definitely had it overheat a few times in our case when sitting around. With that said, it never was an issue in flight. We would recommend transferring footage by taking the card out of the drone rather than plugging it in. Our guess is that they forewent the fan to save weight to add other things.

Greg from The Pilot Institute had the same issue as it sat on his desk updating. Greg states in his review that this is the ONLY drone he has ever had overheat while updating/sitting idle. However he has not had overheating issues during flight so far.
I hope they don’t expect us to fly the drone during the update process lol!
but a cheap laptop cooler could be a workaround. Or course it seems like a design flaw

Reactions: Torque
From the DC Rainmaker review:

“The rear-facing sensors are, for the first time, placed toward the front of the drone. But why? As it turns out, this placement came ultimately as a solution to a series of several challenges.

To reduce overall load, the team looked for ways to replace an internal cooling fan, which came in the form of the rear propellers and arms redesigned to feed air into a set of holes in the back. But this novel cooling solution created a tradeoff: the new propeller and arm structure would prevent the rear-facing sensors from seeing with an unobstructed view. If the propellers and rear arms were raised, it would let the rear sensors see clearly, but this would bring the propellers away from the holes, decreasing their cooling ability, which would also shorten battery life. One problem soon became a stack of them.

After several rounds of discussion and redesign, a completely different idea emerged: why not place the rear-facing sensors toward the front of the aircraft? It had never been done before, but the team found that it worked perfectly. They suddenly found that all the problems were solved after we placed the sensors up front, creating a clear FOV for them while preserving the propellers’ optimal ability to cool the drone.”

P3Ps and Tellos are famous for this overheating issue.

Do any update via USB cable and assistant 2 and leave it in the fridge whilst updating?
No , Just put in the fridge for an hour and than place it on the desk and do the update, It just needs a little cooling as that will go a long way.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada