DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro First Unbox Question

MavicMover

Reactions
Hi, just unboxed my new Mini 3 Pro and wondering if the foam piece behind the camera/gimbal is supposed to be re-used with the cover while not in use or is it just for shipping purposes?

foam.jpg

For shipping purposes. But many here use it to make it easier to attach the gimbal cover. I tried it once and forgot it was there after powering up and now the gimbal doesn't do it's little dance the way it should. I would remove it and wait to see if you would use it for that purpose, don't throw it away just keep it in the box.

Reactions: MavicMover
I chunked it. See no need in it but that’s just me 🤷‍♂️

Thanks, I'll keep it in the box for now.

Reactions: dirkclod
Bonjour

Le mien ne fait pas non plus sa « petite danse », mais je n'ai jamais oublié d'enlever la petite mousse. mon mini 2 l'a fait, j'ai des doutes sur le mini 3 qui danse au départ !

I've kept the little bit of black foam. Most of the time I don't use it, but if I'm going mountain biking or expect the drone to be bounced around a lot in transport I'll slip it in round the back of the gimbal for a little bit extra support.

I definitely kept a little piece of black foam & I definitely put it back in there when putting it away for transport or longer term storage, but then I also baby all my equipment.

Last edited:
Reactions: MavicMover
For shipping purposes. But many here use it to make it easier to attach the gimbal cover.
And that's because so so many misunderstand this gimbal COVER to be also stabilizing/locking the gimbal to protect from impact and vibration during transport, like other DJI drones.

This is simply WRONG. It is a cover only. In fact, it's design to completely clear the gimbal for its full rage in all three axes. Why? New gimbal design that it much much much more robust and tough. Doesn't need to be locked.

Once you understand this, the cover is as easy to put on as folding a rear arm... trivial. You ignore that position of the gimbal before and after the cover is on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rchawks
To amplify a little on my reply above, those of you with some physics, mechanics, carpentry background, consider the idea of a lever arm.

The traditional gimbal design has a substantial lever arm as measured from the mount at the top, to the furthest away point on the bottom of the camera. To make matters worse, the weight is mostly at the end, as the camera module itself.

Not risky enough? NO! Let's also attach the entire assembly to the drone via 4 thick little rubber bands, and nothing else!

Delicate as a fine crystal goblet. Treat it that way.

The M3P gimbal, by contrast, has no meaningful pivot point to swing and bang around on like older models. No long lever arm to torque.

Basically, the amount of force impact or vibration necessary to damage the gimbal, camera, or mount point would probably damage the drone as well, hence a gimbal locking cover doesn't really help, and would surely be a hindrance, just like it is on other DJI drones.

Basically, the amount of force impact or vibration necessary to damage the gimbal, camera, or mount point would probably damage the drone as well, hence a gimbal locking cover doesn't really help, and would surely be a hindrance, just like it is on other DJI drones.
Not saying you're wrong, but makes you wonder why DJI feel it's needed for shipping.

Interesting that the foam wedge design got revised shortly after release. Early examples had quite a soft squishy open pore foam block for the wedge. Later examples have a much harder foam like in the first post

Not saying you're wrong, but makes you wonder why DJI feel it's needed for shipping.

Interesting that the foam wedge design got revised shortly after release. Early examples had quite a soft squishy open pore foam block for the wedge. Later examples have a much harder foam like in the first post
Don't know for sure, but I'd say the reason is to protect against exactly what we're discussing here, with the allowance for much greater impulse forces as part of the shipping process, given how boxes, pallets, and shipping containers get banged around. Precaution only.

Just like the other little black foam shipping stuff that's been included on other DJI drones in the past, that's unnecessary after the consumer has it, and is gonna baby it like no long shoreman's going to.

I remember those little foam discs that used to ship on the motor shafts... why?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929