Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro Halts while Processing Photos

Mike107

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Aircraft Firmware 01.00.0201, RC Firmware 01.01.0300, Fly 1.6.9
Edit || Youtube Link
The new Mini 3 Pro I flew for the first time today comes to a complete halt while processing photos.
During the halt it responds to no stick commands then responds again when it is done storing the shot.
Once the photo processing caused a brief "aircraft not connected" condition.
It is completely reproducible--another example here.
In these shots I had Right Stick fully forward from before the beginning until after the end of the clip.
I was in Normal mode.
I shot a single frame landscape photo in Auto mode. The aircraft stops on its own while storing/processing then begins to again respond to the forward stick command already in progress.

It happens regardless of which SanDisk Extreme miniSD I use.

I don't recall this happening with these cards on previous drones. I do recall having to wait for a shot to process before the next one could be taken (which lag improved with a recent update), but don't recall losing ability to control aircraft, nor that they ever came to a halt.
I was working out how to take action shots for an upcoming mission, so am not sure I ever did exactly what I did today.

Did I just miss this on the previous M3P I have flown?
Does this happen to you?

I'm glad it stops if it is overwhelmed (beats flying blindly into something) but wonder if you find this concerning.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
I noticed that if I take a photo whilst the Mavic Mini or perhaps the Mini 2 is yawing, it stops the yaw, takes the photo and then carries on yawing again, would the reason be to prevent motion blur?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rchawks
Not sure. This one doesn’t stop to shoot—it does that on the run, it’s stops to process or save the file. I’d you’re able to see the clips you’ll hear the snap and see the amount of time before the drone halts.

I placed a YouTube link and embedded media in the original post.
I'm a beginner with the video stuff.... apologies.

I am really interested to know if anyone else sees this behavior in their Mini 3 Pro...

I have a goal/mission that involves getting shots on the fly.
This complicates things.
If it is normal, I will learn to work around it.
If it is not normal--as I suspect, I'd like to figure out how to eliminate it.
Any Help?
Thanks, as always,
Mike

I re-flashed the Mini Pro 3 with DJI Assistant 2 and formatted the miniSD card.
I get it every time with 48 MP photos.
Would someone mind testing this for comparison?
Fly full throttle/keep Right stick forward all through the test, snap a 48 mp single photo, see if drone halts midair while it stores/processes photo, before it starts flying off again?
Appreciate it

Haven't tested if the Mini3 keeps on moving while it processes the photo, but can confirm that it indeed does not respond to the controls while the processing is going on. And with the 48MP files, that's quite a long wait.

Haven't tested if the Mini3 keeps on moving while it processes the photo, but can confirm that it indeed does not respond to the controls while the processing is going on. And with the 48MP files, that's quite a long wait.
Thanks for helping, miemo.
Thanks for confirming.

Using the csv conversion of the txt flight log for two 48.77 MP images, I measured 3.1 and 3.0 seconds from the time the aircraft begins to slow to begins to accelerate. That's 15,7MP/second to process.

Does that seem appropriate?

Thanks, again, meimo.
Anyone else?

3 seconds delay sounds about right, although I've never clocked it. I think that's due to relatively low processing power of the Mini3 compared to some other models, probably due to both cost savings & heat management – and of course the high pixel count.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
EDIT: This is incorrect. See post #11.

@Mike107, the aircraft does not stop. Screen updating is temporarily halted. Your view on the screen freezes, but the aircraft continued in motion.

Watch the aircraft instead of the screen. You'll see that it continues at speed. After the update update interruption, you'll see that the screen image changes and the distance from home changes in a step. A look at your flight log will confirm that.

Last edited:
@Mike107, the aircraft does not stop. Screen updating is temporarily halted. Your view on the screen freezes, but the aircraft continued in motion.

Watch the aircraft instead of the screen. You'll see that it continues at speed. After the update update interruption, you'll see that the screen image changes and the distance from home changes in a step. A look at your flight log will confirm that.
Hi, MSC.
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry if my video skills are poor, but please see the video, listen for the shutter sounds. The M3P comes to a complete halt. Confirmed in flight logs. Reproducible with 48 MP shots 100% of the times I've tested.

In the shots I start flying Right stick full forward and don't change it at all.
I take a 48 MP shot, the drone halts, it stores the shot, then it resumes responding to the sticks.
With a standard photo I sometimes notice a faltering in the forward flight, but I haven't checked the logs of those to see if it is in the facts.

If you have a M3P, would you mind testing it as I describe, above?

Tahnks,
Mike

Hi, MSC.
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry if my video skills are poor, but please see the video, listen for the shutter sounds. The M3P comes to a complete halt. Confirmed in flight logs. Reproducible with 48 MP shots 100% of the times I've tested.

In the shots I start flying Right stick full forward and don't change it at all.
I take a 48 MP shot, the drone halts, it stores the shot, then it resumes responding to the sticks.
With a standard photo I sometimes notice a faltering in the forward flight, but I haven't checked the logs of those to see if it is in the facts.

If you have a M3P, would you mind testing it as I describe, above?

Tahnks,
Mike

Sorry, I should have watched your video. Your video skills are just fine, by the way. That's is a fine job of documenting the behavior you described.

Yes, I just put the M3P up and saw the same behavior. Normal mode, right stick full forward, 48 mp photo.

I don't think it's related to the memory card. I was using a newly formatted Sandisk Extreme Pro. I suspect that DJI programmed the stop to improve photo quality. Now you've got me wondering whether it's there for all flight modes and photo types and whether it's disabled below a certain speed.

This seems more of a quirk to be aware of than a real limitation. Other than a few Litchi flights with the Mini 2 and Air 2S, I've not shot many photos with the drone in motion.

Reactions: Mike107
Aircraft Firmware 01.00.0201, RC Firmware 01.01.0300, Fly 1.6.9
Edit || Youtube Link
The new Mini 3 Pro I flew for the first time today comes to a complete halt while processing photos.
During the halt it responds to no stick commands then responds again when it is done storing the shot.
Once the photo processing caused a brief "aircraft not connected" condition.
It is completely reproducible--another example here.
In these shots I had Right Stick fully forward from before the beginning until after the end of the clip.
I was in Normal mode.
I shot a single frame landscape photo in Auto mode. The aircraft stops on its own while storing/processing then begins to again respond to the forward stick command already in progress.

It happens regardless of which SanDisk Extreme miniSD I use.

I don't recall this happening with these cards on previous drones. I do recall having to wait for a shot to process before the next one could be taken (which lag improved with a recent update), but don't recall losing ability to control aircraft, nor that they ever came to a halt.
I was working out how to take action shots for an upcoming mission, so am not sure I ever did exactly what I did today.

Did I just miss this on the previous M3P I have flown?
Does this happen to you?

I'm glad it stops if it is overwhelmed (beats flying blindly into something) but wonder if you find this concerning.

Thanks,
Mike

I just tried shooting at 48 mp and noticed that my drone does stop mid flight when processing the image. It keeps flying in single image mode.

Taking a 48 MP has been slow from the very beginning.
The snappier respsone they claimed with an earlier firmware only applies to the 12 MP I guess ...

Not a problem for me, but yes, the 48 MP is noticeable putting everything else to a halt.

Sorry, I should have watched your video. Your video skills are just fine, by the way. That's is a fine job of documenting the behavior you described.

Yes, I just put the M3P up and saw the same behavior. Normal mode, right stick full forward, 48 mp photo.

I don't think it's related to the memory card. I was using a newly formatted Sandisk Extreme Pro. I suspect that DJI programmed the stop to improve photo quality. Now you've got me wondering whether it's there for all flight modes and photo types and whether it's disabled below a certain speed.

This seems more of a quirk to be aware of than a real limitation. Other than a few Litchi flights with the Mini 2 and Air 2S, I've not shot many photos with the drone in motion.
Appreciate the kind words and feedback.

Also appreciate your testing this feature.
I’ll know to not sweat it, just expect it. ;)

Reactions: MS Coast
Taking a 48 MP has been slow from the very beginning.
The snappier respsone they claimed with an earlier firmware only applies to the 12 MP I guess ...

Not a problem for me, but yes, the 48 MP is noticeable putting everything else to a halt.
Appreciate your checking. Seems like something that would have been better known and more publicized online, but I couldn’t find anything on it when first checking last week.

It is easy to believe I either never noticed with the other drones or that I hadn’t put myself in a position to do so, and that it has always been like this.

I’ve been working up various particular shot configurations I intend to use later this year, and Friday was the first day I went after this one. The experience was shocking and unexpected. I’m chuckling—just a little, at how I’m still a little traumatized by the pre1.6.8 Fly App and original aircraft firmware versions —I had the lemon 🍋 results with disconnects, loss of complete aircraft control, etc. so….when I had my face in the screen and it froze…well…bad. :oops:

I guess it is good to work stuff up on a safe zone after all.

Thank goodness for this community, too!

You are welcome @Mike107
I wonder if a possible RAW only mode would ease the load on the drone. By now you can only shoot in JPG+RAW, but especially with the 48 MP I never use the JPG yet they get processed.

I have high confidence in the drone but some things could be far better, but I have more or less expected that in this early stage and especially with the DJI Fly app which is still subpar to DJI Go4 I was used to.

Happy and safe flying! 👍

Last edited:
I definitely noticed after flying over the weekend that the drone does pause when taking pictures. I'd assume that was put into place to prevent motion blur so you get the sharpest image possible.

Attachments

• dji_export_1659668517892-denoise-standard-2.jpg
    dji_export_1659668517892-denoise-standard-2.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 15
  • dji_export_1659668516679-denoise-standard-2.jpg
    dji_export_1659668516679-denoise-standard-2.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 15
  • dji_export_1659668518030-denoise-standard-2.jpg
    dji_export_1659668518030-denoise-standard-2.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I definitely noticed after flying over the weekend that the drone does pause when taking pictures. I'd assume that was put into place to prevent motion blur so you get the sharpest image possible.
It actually occurs AFTer the shot, while it is processing and storing the image.
Manipulating motion blur on HQ shots was how this all started, and it is present if other settings allow for it.

It actually occurs AFTer the shot, while it is processing and storing the image.
Manipulating motion blur on HQ shots was how this all started, and it is present if other settings allow for it.
Thank you for the info!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jarrodwp1