DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro has SD Card slots on drone and in controller...which one or both?

PaJi

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Mini 3 Pro has an SD card slot on drone and in controller...
1. Which one do I use... or both?
2. When transferring to my computer will one SD card/slot have a higher quality image than the other?
3. I currently have 256G and a 512G cards. Any benefit of putting larger card in drone or controller?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

1) If only one card I'd go for the drone ever time.
If you were recording and lose connection the drone at least will carry on recording whereas live recording to a card in the controller, if possible, would lose the video shot during the disconnection.

Can't answer 2) but I would have thought it unlikely that the controller would have access to better resolutions than the mSD card in the the drone, that would seem illogical to me.

3) Be wary of very big cards especially in the drone, if you don't back them up regularly a lost drone could cost you a lot of footage.
I don't know what video resolutions are available to the Mini 3 but with my M2P I would prefer to use 64G but they are getting relatively rare and more expensive so now have 128G.

Last edited:
Reactions: raymairjr and PaJi
The SD card slot in the drone is the direct high quality footage recorded from the drone whereas the one in the controller is lower quality footage that has been transmitted from the drone to the controller. Therefore your priority should be using the sd card in the drone itself as that offers you the full quality videos.

I'm not familiar with how much you can do with the RC Pro, in general the data stored on the controller can be useful to have a quick look at photos or videos you've taken without having to get the sd card out of the drone and loaded onto a PC or similar. Also if you lose your drone or need the footage for any reason and can't get it off the drone, the footage on the controller may be useful to show you where the drone last was or to give you some footage if you can't get it off the drone.

Reactions: raymairjr and PaJi
The SD card slot in the drone is the direct high quality footage recorded from the drone whereas the one in the controller is lower quality footage that has been transmitted from the drone to the controller. Therefore your priority should be using the sd card in the drone itself as that offers you the full quality videos.

I'm not familiar with how much you can do with the RC Pro, in general the data stored on the controller can be useful to have a quick look at photos or videos you've taken without having to get the sd card out of the drone and loaded onto a PC or similar. Also if you lose your drone or need the footage for any reason and can't get it off the drone, the footage on the controller may be useful to show you where the drone last was or to give you some footage if you can't get it off the drone.
In addition to the information from above, you can also screen record from the RC which will record to the memory card on the RC. You cannot transfer the HQ videos to the RC, only the HQ images although some members have been having difficuly with this.

Some others have also had problems with quick transfer getting the footage off the drone, i like most take the SD card out the drone and transfer it that way.

Here's a video on the RC Pro and Micro SD Card. It goes into details on what can and cannot be written to the SD card on the Remote Controller. This video is specific to the RC Pro (which is now compatible with the Mini 3 Pro) but it may be different than the DJI RC which comes with the Mini 3 Pro bundle.

Video:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka