DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 pro not as good as expected?

palo34

Reactions
Notice there are many drones in BHPhoto used for sale. Returns with almost 200 dollars discount.
Something not seen with other new drones so fast by DJI. Looks like people are returning them.

I am not very happy with it, and can't return mine as I received a defective drone that crashed (gps issue probably) and dji replaced it. Probably, should have stayed with the pair, I sold for this.. mini2 + air 2. But will probably buy a autel evo lite plus, or an mavic air 2s.

For me the killer is not impressed with the camera at night, and the video, the colors are so dull, that it is hard to make it alive without bringing too much the background/ greens blue over the foreground. Not to mention the focus which is worth mentioning.

The good..
It is a beast speed, and handling amazing. and it manages to be silent.
the battery duration, is off the charts, it's just amazing.
The antenna of the mini 3 pro is much on the drone is better than the mini 2. if you use the same controller, you have better video feed, and range than with the mini 2, about the same mavic air 2.

Reactions: Droniac
It’s summer so I don’t get to test night videography but I have heard this complaint often, even complaining that it isn’t as good as the Mini2 for night video. Dunno. It’s not dark at night (but getting there…)

Night performance is going to be related directly to sensor size.
You're never going to get low light performance out of a tiny mini 3 sensor that say an Air2s/Mavic2 etc will. Simply can't happen.
Video colours being dull - is that in normal profile or D-Cinelike? The latter is designed to be dull to conserve data for editing.

People seem to be buying a drone whose USP is under 250g and not happy the camera isnt up to the standard of one double the size.

Having owned both the M2 and M3P I can confidently state that the M3P performs considerably better than the M2 in low light conditions. Whilst I understand that the low light performance on the M3P can be challenging, it is able to perform reasonably well.
To get the most out of the M3Ps camera, a good understanding of the pros and cons of the Quad Bayer sensor is a must. Also, good solid knowledge of post processing DNGs is a prerequisite.
Sensor size is not the be-all and end-all to low light performance. I would argue that aperture is more important than sensor size. A 1 inch sensor combined with a lens that has a fixed F22 aperture will perform worse in low light conditions.

Last edited:
Having owned both the M2 and M3P I can confidently state that the M3P performs considerably better than the M2 in low light conditions. Whilst I understand that the low light performance on the M3P can be challenging, it is able to perform reasonably well.
To get the most out of the M3Ps camera, a good understanding of the pros and cons of the Quad Bayer sensor is a must. Also, good solid knowledge of post processing DNGs is a prerequisite.
Sensor size is not the be-all and end-all to low light performance. I would argue that aperture is more important than sensor size. A 1 inch sensor combined with a lens that has a fixed F22 aperture will perform worse in low light conditions.
Uh, yeah. A fixed aperture of f/22 will have a hard time capturing ANY light...

• Haha
Reactions: koonley and Droniac
M2P is significantly better in low light.
The Mini 3 applies noise reduction which cant be disabled to the raw file which loses and smears details.
There's also an absolute ton of chroma noise on top of that.
The result is an image that looks cleaner that falls to pieces on closer inspection on a pixel level.
Sensor size is vital. The mini simple is never going to compete at all.
And even in daylight the artefacts present cause issue.

• Haha
Reactions: Octisurfer and JTZ
If low light imaging is a priority, the Mini 3 is not the drone for you. It's better than its successor, the Mini 2, but can't compete with a Mavic 2 Pro, or Mavic 3... or the latest Autel offerings. It's too bad that DJI stuck with RGGB sensors rather than RYYB as that which Autel adopted. An Autel Nano plus will be better in low light and the Evo Lite Plus really splits the difference between the DJI Air2s and the Mavic 3, with variable aperture, 6k video at about 900 grams with a full kit that can be had for under $2000 (not including Autel smart controller, but I think about $1000 cheaper than basic Mavic 3 with smart controller added ).

If low light imaging is a priority, the Mini 3 is not the drone for you. It's better than its successor, the Mini 2, but can't compete with a Mavic 2 Pro, or Mavic 3... or the latest Autel offerings.
If that’s true there’s something wrong with the software. Especially the M2P and Autel use same size or smaller sensor and much slower lenses. From a total light standpoint the mini 3 should be even slightly better than the Mavic 3 in low light.

Besides the Inspire 2 with the X5S and stock lens which is 4/3 sensor and f/1.7, Mini 3 on paper should be the best low light drone DJI has made. It would be important to shoot in 12MP mode, however. The whole reason the 12MP mode exists is because the pixels are too small in 48MP mode to be sensitive for low light.

I’m open to the RYYB sensor being a little better in low light but even the manufacturers claims 40% better light transmission (which seems like a stretch.) A f/1.7 lens has a 233% greater light transmission than a f/2.8 lens.

The M3P is not just limited by sensor size, it is also limited by a slower onboard processor. I suspect that the onboard processor is a major cause of disappointment in low light performance.

I've noticed no dull colors (except when I have D-Cine enabled...which I suspect the OP does). I haven't done much in way of night flying but I have an MA2 and typically will use that at night as it has all the strobes on it and I have not gotten any for my M3P. BUt yes, I suspect that with the smaller sensor it won't be as good as say the MP3.

Reactions: JTZ
Hopefully a lot of these responses aren’t guess work and based upon real world knowledge . I own both the Air2s and the mini 3 pro and the mini 3 pro has a better aperture for low light than the air2s and performs accordingly - The Air 2s has a slightly bigger sensor but higher aperture therefore not allowing as much light to the sensor - So in short don’t buy an air2s for better low light performance you’ll be disappointed if you’re not happy with the mini 3 pro - Consider reviewing your Settings or replacing your unit - The mini 3 pro performs well in low light

The engineering and design that went into the Mini 3 Pro is the best I have seen from DJI in years.
To much emphasis is placed on 249g weight. Ridiculous that weight is a recipe for flyaways if you are not extremly careful. I installed the higher capacity battery in mine which added 70 grams however, now the drone is far more stable in the wind. It flies so long I need a chair.

If that’s true there’s something wrong with the software. Especially the M2P and Autel use same size or smaller sensor and much slower lenses. From a total light standpoint the mini 3 should be even slightly better than the Mavic 3 in low light.

Besides the Inspire 2 with the X5S and stock lens which is 4/3 sensor and f/1.7, Mini 3 on paper should be the best low light drone DJI has made. It would be important to shoot in 12MP mode, however. The whole reason the 12MP mode exists is because the pixels are too small in 48MP mode to be sensitive for low light.

I’m open to the RYYB sensor being a little better in low light but even the manufacturers claims 40% better light transmission (which seems like a stretch.) A f/1.7 lens has a 233% greater light transmission than a f/2.8 lens.
Autel nailed it in the imaging part. It's just too bad that Autel drones don't generally fly as well as DJI drones and Autel is reputed to have terrible customer service, the customer service aspect for drones IMO is critical.

Some time ago after just getting into drones I produced a short video illustrating noise reduction in post with M2P clips and was amazed myself of how much noise can be eliminated while maintaining detail. In fact... I did a quick search and found the comparison video. It may be important to note that the Neat Video noise reduction software was the "amateur" version that limited me to 1080p, but even so, I think it intepolated pretty well to 4k. At some point I will upgrade to the Neat Video pro version.

Unfortunately I have not yet had an opportunity to test/use my Mini 3 in low light, but looking forward to doing so.

You see the same issue with crop sensors versus larger full frame on Canon camera i have owned. The crops don't have the dynamic range, so you end up doing more HDR to cover the deficiencies. if you fly within the limitations of the kit though, i've seen some nice results on here..

Reactions: Flashheart

I also own these 2 drones and that is not true. The larger 1" senor in the M2P is objectively better at capturing light than the M3P sensor. It's just physics at that point. You also need to be comparing apples to apples in 10bit or with a RAW photograph. The M3P doesn't have DLOG either, which helps improve dynamic range on the M2P for video.

Also, no lenses have fixed F22 apertures, certainly not on a drone. The M2P's adjustable aperture maxes out at F11 and the M3P is a fixed F1.7.

Enjoy your autel evo lite plus…

Maybe I’m naïve or old age is getting the better of me… though I doubt it. I worked in R & D for decades and what I see with DJI is what I experienced… improving the product.

I purchased the Mini 3 Pro with the DJI RC. I’m a recreational flyer and I’m currently doing as much travelling as possible. I sold my Air 2S (super bird) to lessen the load, to have something that I could employ in a minute, and would have great video and photo results.

When I did receive my Mini 3 Pro I discovered a clip on a battery was broken. DJI replaced it right away. I also experienced poor range like some others. DJI narrowed it down to a fault on the drone’s main board… DJI sent me a new drone. I now have super range. In both cases DJI gave me a 64gb sd card and a 128gb sd card for my patience and loyalty…nice move.

I find DJI works pretty hard trying to keep their customers satisfied by repairing or exchanging faulty products, keeping firmware and software as up to date to ensure safe and secure flying, and offering the care refresh option.

We the consumer couldn’t get our hands on the Mini 3 Pro fast enough. When we did, like so many other DJI drones that came out, we tear it’s design down and test the living b’jesus out of it. Most all these constructive criticisms are noted by DJI. DJI in my observations are doing a pretty good job of trying to keep ahead, but, you can only improve on a product for so long until the competition introduces something even better.

So, when Autel introduces the auto landing gear on their lightweight drones who knows what DJI will do.

Not everyone is going to be happy with what they purchased. Again, our input is appreciated by DJI. They do listen and try very hard to resolve all issues to up their product in good time…it is a very competitive market. Of all the Mini 3 Pros sold and I don’t have a number to show, there will always be some defects.

YOUR QUOTE…“Notice there are many drones in BHPhoto used for sale. Returns with almost 200 dollars discount.
Something not seen with other new drones so fast by DJI. Looks like people are returning them.”

Look at how many new Tesla autos are sold in one year and how many end up on car lots soon after or how many MixMaster blenders end up on Craigslist 😂…it’s a small fraction.

My advice…acquire an Air 2S ✅ You can’t go wrong…tried, tested, and true.

Reactions: pommy and SimonP

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy