Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro or Air 2S?

aeciolemos

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
Hi guys,
I have read a lot about these drones as I am looking to upgrade my Mini 2. I love the Mini 2 and I think it does a fantastic job, but I am looking for something with obstacle avoidance sensors so I can do things like follow me. I also want the new DJI RC :) The Air 2S also has the advantage of flying in rougher conditions which, in Ireland, might be a good thing.
SO, my question to everyone is, should I go with the MIni 3 Pro and stay under 250g or should I go for an Air 2S and go through all the certifications it entails and be limited to where I can fly?
If I get the Air 2S, I might not sell the Mini 2 so that I can still fly anywhere, though.

Opinions???

Cheers!

Reactions: Joethedrone
If I were you, I buy the M3P and just recoup some of the cost by selling the Mini 2. The Air 2S is certainly better under rough wind conditions BUT it is next in line for receiving an upgrade. In that case, you might want to wait a some months until a reveal happens (and you can decide on getting the new model OR nab a cheap Air 2S). Personally, I don't see an huge reason to pick something between a Mini and a Mavic, so I'm kind of biased against anything in-between.

If you are ok with going through the certification and licensing and want a larger drone then I would pick the Mavic 3 over the Air 2S. The Mavic 3 has full Obstacle avoidence whereas the Air 2S is not full 360 degrees. Plus it has better features and flight time and is still being improved with updates whereas the Air 2S is pretty much at the end of it's life.
The mini 3 pro is an excellent aircraft and is keeping up with all the new updates including the FPV ability that has been recently released while still maintaining the under 250G weight allowing far less restrictions for flight.
Hope this helps with your decision!

Reactions: aeciolemos
FYI, I have an Air2S with Fly more kit for sale in the classifieds if you're interested.
The price is great and I would be tempted, but last time I bought anything from the US, I got charged a ton in import taxes. Unless you intend on coming over to the EU.... :)

If I were you, I buy the M3P and just recoup some of the cost by selling the Mini 2. The Air 2S is certainly better under rough wind conditions BUT it is next in line for receiving an upgrade. In that case, you might want to wait a some months until a reveal happens (and you can decide on getting the new model OR nab a cheap Air 2S). Personally, I don't see an huge reason to pick something between a Mini and a Mavic, so I'm kind of biased against anything in-between.
That makes sense. I was thinking of the Air2S exactly because of the price compared to the M3 but with the M3 Classic, I might just go for that as my second drone and keep the Mini 2 as my travel drone. Thanks for the opinion.

If you are ok with going through the certification and licensing and want a larger drone then I would pick the Mavic 3 over the Air 2S. The Mavic 3 has full Obstacle avoidence whereas the Air 2S is not full 360 degrees. Plus it has better features and flight time and is still being improved with updates whereas the Air 2S is pretty much at the end of it's life.
The mini 3 pro is an excellent aircraft and is keeping up with all the new updates including the FPV ability that has been recently released while still maintaining the under 250G weight allowing far less restrictions for flight.
Hope this helps with your decision!
In any case, whichever I decide that is not the Mini 3, I will have to do the paperwork and that is one reason I thought of continuing with the Mini series. Just out of the practicallity and less limitations in flying.

I would pick the Mini 3 Pro over the Air 2S. I have the mini and had the Air 2S and prefer the mini. It’s only negative really is the lighter weight has a harder time with wind at higher speeds but it will still surprise you how steady the gimbal can be in different conditions. Mini 3 Pro can charge with USB-C, if you travel a portable pack will keep it topped off. It’s compact, the camera will produce images that are good enough for most purposes and the camera will turn vertical for a different perspective. I might still pick it over the Mavic 3 Classic just for the bang for buck, maybe. The Classic airframe and sensors are superior but if you dont need that on a regular basis the Mini would be the better option.

I have the Mini 3 Pro and the Mavic 3 Pro and fly the Mavic each time but it costs 3x as much and that may not be worth it for many people. My Mini lives in a backpack in my car for those times I’m out and didn’t plan to fly.

I would pick the Mini 3 Pro over the Air 2S. I have the mini and had the Air 2S and prefer the mini. It’s only negative really is the lighter weight has a harder time with wind at higher speeds but it will still surprise you how steady the gimbal can be in different conditions. Mini 3 Pro can charge with USB-C, if you travel a portable pack will keep it topped off. It’s compact, the camera will produce images that are good enough for most purposes and the camera will turn vertical for a different perspective. I might still pick it over the Mavic 3 Classic just for the bang for buck, maybe. The Classic airframe and sensors are superior but if you dont need that on a regular basis the Mini would be the better option.

I have the Mini 3 Pro and the Mavic 3 Pro and fly the Mavic each time but it costs 3x as much and that may not be worth it for many people. My Mini lives in a backpack in my car for those times I’m out and didn’t plan to fly.
Good points there TwoSticks. The cost of the Mavic 3 put it out of my league for now. I think I will gravitate towards the Mini 3 Pro for all the reasons everyone gave me. It will be less cost, less hassle and I will probably get more use out of it.
I have had a couple situations where I almost lost the Mini 2 due to strong winds and a few places I didn't even attempt to take off due to high winds so that is why (aside from the larger sensor) I was thiking of an Air2S.
BTW my drone lives in my car as well :) Too many times I was out and regretted not taking it!

Cheers

My preference will always be to have the biggest sensor I can get away with, so the Air2S would be my choice. But as others have pointed out, it's due for a refresh so definitely don't buy one new. If I was mostly flying while traveling outside the US, then the Mini3 would be the easy choice, but most of my flying has been local so weight isn't a factor.

Big downside of the Air2s is the proprietary charging, but that's not a huge issue for me.

My 2 cents,I pack a mini 3 pro and an Air2s in a backpack with 2 hours of battery for each and must admit I like the Mini 3 pro the best ,both the Air 2s and the Mini 3 pro are World class drones ,I have said for a long time that the Air 2s should have been voted drone of the year 2022 ,and now the mini 3p happened
It seems like the best choice from all the opinions here. Maybe in the future, I will go for a second drone, a Mavic 3 series or whatever replaces the Air2S. Thanks.

My preference will always be to have the biggest sensor I can get away with, so the Air2S would be my choice. But as others have pointed out, it's due for a refresh so definitely don't buy one new. If I was mostly flying while traveling outside the US, then the Mini3 would be the easy choice, but most of my flying has been local so weight isn't a factor.

Big downside of the Air2s is the proprietary charging, but that's not a huge issue for me.
The restrictions here in Europe are quite strict and some places ban drones altogether (such as Paris - so frustrated I could not fly there!) so the Mini 3 Pro seems like the overall best choice. I, too, would prefer a larger sensor but I have been weighing where I would be able to fly a larger drone, the paperwork, certifications, etc. so the scale is starting to to the way of the M3P. Thanks for the insight.

My preference will always be to have the biggest sensor I can get away with, so the Air2S would be my choice. But as others have pointed out, it's due for a refresh so definitely don't buy one new.
I get you on this. And it makes a lot of sense comparing same-generation sensors.

Less so comparing different generations. The Mini3P sensor is 77% the size of the A2S sensor, but several generations newer. As such, it is more advanced, lower noise, has dual bias amplifiers allowing for two "native iso" values with lowest noise, etc.

As a result, it produces comparable results, and in some cases, arguably better.

People argue both sides of which is better, in roughly equal numbers, which should tell you something.

I have both, and use the Mini3P much more often. Especially in low light video applications where, in my opinion, the A2S loses decisively.

My dream is DJI coming out with an upgraded "Avata Pro" with the Mini3P camera sensor. Not holding my breath.

You will not regret getting MP3!!!

Hi guys,
I have read a lot about these drones as I am looking to upgrade my Mini 2. I love the Mini 2 and I think it does a fantastic job, but I am looking for something with obstacle avoidance sensors so I can do things like follow me. I also want the new DJI RC :) The Air 2S also has the advantage of flying in rougher conditions which, in Ireland, might be a good thing.
SO, my question to everyone is, should I go with the MIni 3 Pro and stay under 250g or should I go for an Air 2S and go through all the certifications it entails and be limited to where I can fly?
If I get the Air 2S, I might not sell the Mini 2 so that I can still fly anywhere, though.

Opinions???

Cheers!
I have a M2P and the Air 2s, not tried the Mini 3 yet, but from all I’ve read and seen, I don’t think getting a Mini 3 Pro would be any kind of upgrade from the Air 2s imo. The Air 2s uses ocuiSync 3 and the obstacle avoidance is really good. As for being over 250g it doesn’t worry me as I live on a farm in a very rural area, and I rarely go where it’s to “peoplely” lol.

Reactions: SWTSU
I have a M2P and the Air 2s, not tried the Mini 3 yet, but from all I’ve read and seen, I don’t think getting a Mini 3 Pro would be any kind of upgrade from the Air 2s imo.
Depends on what's important to you.

I have both, and as many have evaluated, they're very similar in terms of image capability. The A2S has the edge in some situations, the Mini3P others. In my assessment, most people won't see a meaningful difference. It's the pixel peepers that find a lot of meaningless flaws that pretty much require pixel-level examination to see.

My advice if asked is to get the Mini3P. It's more versatile, travels easier, can be flown more easily outside the US if you take a trip abroad, and can be flown in the US without registration or RID (yeah, I know, can't be turned off, but you don't have to set it up, so there's a modicum more anonymity).

The A2S is old technology, and firmware updates are moving primarily to bug fixing. Unlikely to pick up newer features released in updates for more current models. The main argument in favor of the A2S is better stability in windy conditions.

That's an excellent point, one that has a lot of value to me, and I always forget to mention it.

The A2S requires an outlet to charge. The Mini3P can charge from any PD capable USB-C charger – wall brick, powerbank, etc. I always have a powerbank near when not at home.

I have a Mini 3 Pro and Mavic Pro fly more. My flights are on a wooded 120 acre farm. There are a few features (deer blinds/stands/feeders) I like to check on scattered throughout the property. My house (take-off point) is all the way to the south end. For reasons unknown to me, I tend to send out the Mavic Pro for the longer missions and reserve the Mini 3 Pro for the shorter ones. It’s weird because the Mini has better battery flight time and uses the RC remote. Mini camera is better as well. The Mavic’s RC-N1 is better for long range (at least mine is) but ties up my phone. I can see benefit the larger drone provides such as more stable in higher winds and faster travel speeds between points of interest. So, for me it’s weird because I like the Mini better but use the Mavic more. Go figure.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60