DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro Propeller Screws -

PaJi

Premium Pilot
Reactions
SCREW.jpgThe Mini 3 Pro's screws are really small and do not attract to a magnetic screwdriver. I had cause to change the props in my study and managed to drop one of the screws. It bounced off the desktop and down into a rug. No amount of searching with a flashlight turned it up. I ended up opening up the pack of extra screws that came with the drone. Then I set out a large sheet of white paper so I could easily find any other 'wanderers'. The screws are about half the size of the Mini 2 screws. Changing a prop outdoors is going to be near impossible. OR...maybe I just have fat fingers.

although the props appear to be fixed in a similar fashion to the earlier Minis, they have, like the way the control sticks are now attached to the new RC been reengineered ,the old style screws were also the hub on which the prop hinged ,now that is part of the motor cover and the screw simply screws into an internal thread in the hub,to hold on the prop they are indeed extremely tiny ,and as @PaJi ,stated not an in the field job ,if the props get damaged

If you can't get the screws to stick to your screwdriver then a little blob of blu-tac works nicely. Stick it on the screw head and then press the screwdriver down through it into the screw head.

I recently replaced the props on my Mini 1 and found that using the blade as a holder for the lowering the screw into its thread worked well. I located the screwdriver into the screwhead and used the blade to guide the threads into the hole. I appreciate the mini 3 prop hub design is slightly different, but the same technique should work

Reactions: Torque and MS Coast
If you can't get the screws to stick to your screwdriver then a little blob of blu-tac works nicely. Stick it on the screw head and then press the screwdriver down through it into the screw head.

I recently replaced the props on my Mini 1 and found that using the blade as a holder for the lowering the screw into its thread worked well.
Can you use the blade as a guide for the Mini 3? How small is the screw driver for the props? Does the Mini 3 come with the appropriate screw driver, or is that a buy-it-yourself deal? If the screws aren't magnetic, what are they- aluminum?

Reactions: old man mavic
@vindibona1 the correct screw driver comes with the drone the head of the screw fits into a small recess in the propeller hub which should hold it as you slide it over the shaft on the motor
then you can gently feel for the thread to bite, turn it anticlockwise first to help it seat into the thread without cross threading ,its really a job for the bench at home ,if the screw did drop it would be almost impossible to find

Reactions: scooot
Are the props all the same or are there 2 different ones like most of the other drones.

Pretty much every drone with 4 propellers has 2 clockwise and 2 counter clockwise spinning pairs of props. This makes the torques from the props cancel out, so the drone doesn't need a tail rotor like a typical helicopter. To rotate the drone 1 pair spins faster and the other correspondingly slower. Overall lift stays the same but torque in 1 direction is more than in the other direction, so the drone spins. There is a little bit of thrust vectoring going on too, whick helps spin the drone. The props aren't perfectly horizontal when the drone is hovering which means they push slightly diagonally.

Reactions: Torque
the props come in packs of 4 enough for 2 motors
that is then divided into two separate sections ,which contain one pair of CCW props, and one pair of CW props ,also in each pack are 4 new screws with thread lock already applied
one pair of props also have a moulded line on the top surface,the others dont ,there is also a very feint marking on the ends of two diagonally apposed arms ,that the props with the moulded line fit onto the plain props fit onto the other two arms
just do one motor at a time ,and always swap a pair of props even if only one of them is damaged

I set out a large sheet of white paper so I could easily find any other 'wanderers'.
This is how I prevent "wanderers and bouncers;" I use an old White towel that I keep in my Flight Case. I lay it out as a work surface and the white towel does not let anything hide nor does the towel allow anything to bounce. Even in the field; I can lay it out on a picnic table at the park, on the ground in the field, or in the back hatch of my car. Even in this small image, you can see the screws to my spare props…

It’s a souvenir from a local hospital where I had back surgery and I think it's pretty apropos that I use a hospital towel when performing "emergency surgery" on my Mini…

towel.jpg

@vindibona1 the correct screw driver comes with the drone the head of the screw fits into a small recess in the propeller hub which should hold it as you slide it over the shaft on the motor
then you can gently feel for the thread to bite, turn it anticlockwise first to help it seat into the thread without cross threading ,its really a job for the bench at home ,if the screw did drop it would be almost impossible to find
I read a notice from DJI recently - I don't remember if it was this forum or on Facebook group - some of the Mini 3s were sent with the wrong screwdriver. That may account for the number of stripped screw heads? Anyway DJI said if you feel you have the wrong size to contact them.
I prefer using quality precision screw drivers so I haven't even checked, but thought I'd pass this on.

I read a notice from DJI recently - I don't remember if it was this forum or on Facebook group - some of the Mini 3s were sent with the wrong screwdriver. That may account for the number of stripped screw heads? Anyway DJI said if you feel you have the wrong size to contact them.
I prefer using quality precision screw drivers so I haven't even checked, but thought I'd pass this on.
I also purchased a set of screwdrivers and had no problem. Just don't over tighten. Have a nice weekend.

View attachment 149877The Mini 3 Pro's screws are really small and do not attract to a magnetic screwdriver. I had cause to change the props in my study and managed to drop one of the screws. It bounced off the desktop and down into a rug. No amount of searching with a flashlight turned it up. I ended up opening up the pack of extra screws that came with the drone. Then I set out a large sheet of white paper so I could easily find any other 'wanderers'. The screws are about half the size of the Mini 2 screws. Changing a prop outdoors is going to be near impossible. OR...maybe I just have fat fingers.
Hello.

My problem is i can not uncscrew the mini 3 propeller, it seem to be very very tightened.

Any suggestion? As i am bit afraid of damaging the motor or drone leg if j use a bit excess of force.

Please help with your advice.

does anybody know of appropriate spare screws? maybe a little bit longer, with strong heads the same head diameter as the originals.. they also seem to strip out fairly easy with that phillips head and locktite on them. I wouldn't use them twice, even with extra loctite.. I worry about those tiny screws, if the heads break the prop will get lose
but I think those are hard to find, those are probably 1.6mm or smaller (my caliper is defective so I cant measure.
Any suggestion? As i am bit afraid of damaging the motor or drone leg if j use a bit excess of force.

you could heat up the screw with a soldering iron for example.. not that nice because of the liquid lead, try setting your iron on 100°C, if you can to prevent that. (filling the phillips head with lead would be not that nice lol...heating up will soften the loctite that is on the screw thread, so it should come off easier. but don't heat it up too much.
I also almost stripped a few screws when untighten them... not an optimal setup for sure. Try unscrewing them with a bit pressure, and make sure you do it in the right direction, counterclockwise. cause the last thing you want is stripping these small screws.

Not almost 🤣

Thankfully, replacements are easily found at your local ACE Hardware... not! 😡

And now, since I'm an old sentimental fool and we're talking hardware stores, this is a tug at your heartstrings, with a special shout out to our UK members:

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
I'd really like to know, as I've already lost 2 screws to the carpet here and can't source replacement parts anywhere.

Anyone know a good place to get screws?

@MegaLaz ,you could buy some extra props from DJI, as new screws come as part of the replacements ,you will be hard pressed to get them from anywhere else i suspect
so if someone knows something i don't, please feel free to correct my assumption

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll