DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro Vinetting

Good evening
In your photo it is barely visible and so easy to remove. There is nothing to cry scandal as certain background on other topics that will be settled with updates that hope to arrive quickly. A+patch45 from France

Lol, I never said it was a scandal I just asked if anyone else noticed it. The light room fixed isn't that easy as it helps with the edges but does nothing for the flare in the middle of the picture. I’m told by a few others that removing the lens cover could fix it but I really don’t want to alter the bird and will just use my other drones until DJI releases software update. You cannot say it is barely noticeable though. I could not deliver this to my RE agents even when corrected in LR as it does not meet quality standards.

Lol, I never said it was a scandal I just asked if anyone else noticed it. The light room fixed isn't that easy as it helps with the edges but does nothing for the flare in the middle of the picture. I’m told by a few others that removing the lens cover could fix it but I really don’t want to alter the bird and will just use my other drones until DJI releases software update. You cannot say it is barely noticeable though. I could not deliver this to my RE agents even when corrected in LR as it does not meet quality standards.
Couple things to note : The lighting was not to good, I think if you might have used Auto setting the result would have been a little better. But you can see it , just post a bigger picture so we can see more detail such as noise around the edges as well which I think this may have contributed to.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Actually the light was good. Here's a direct comparison of the the Mini 3 Pro with the Mini 2 within 5-10 minutes of eachother. Not sure how hight the res is on this site but the mini 2 was shot in 3 brackets & the 3 pro with 5. I did not edit anything after I merged the brackets. In this case the mini 2 is the better bird for this application. Yes the mini 2 appears closer but I had to fix the verts and it cropped it in more. If I had done the same for the 3pro the vinetting would be less noticeable for this comparo.

Attachments

• DJI_0037-HDR.jpg
    DJI_0037-HDR.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 20
  • DJI_0567-HDR.jpg
    DJI_0567-HDR.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 20
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Does anyone else have the Vinetting problem with DNG files on the mini 3 pro?
I noticed it the first time I flew it and have done some adjustments in the camera, which has (almost) eliminated it. I have done some post processing panoramic shots and had to tweak them slightly, but the camera honestly seems to get better the more I use it.

Try non-hdr…
I will give it a try. I have found that HDR is often 'too much' resulting in oversaturated and obviously tweaked photos. I prefer photos which look more natural. But it has doubtless been improved and I will give it a try.

when I saw "dng" files in the first post I thought that odd as I've never seen that problem but when you posted and mentioned HDR...it didn't seem so odd. I have not tried any HDR with the mini 3 but it would not shock me if they come out far less than perfect when baked in by the camera itself. All sorts of algorithms are used to create hdr and one software package may create hdr files entirely different than another. I use Aurora HDR for my HDR and honestly wouldn't have even thought of bothering with the mini 3 built in HDR, except now I will test it. With a program like Aurora HDR which works as a plugin or stand alone, I think, you have real control over how you want your HDR to look and since you are using this professionally I would highly suggest you take a look at it. Lousy in camera HDR from any source is, to me, just a matter of "yeah...what do you expect? Do it yourself". Try an AEB shot and Aurora or similar product. For years I did HDR manually in Photoshop using layers and masking. Even using Aurora it seems like that's almost cheating :).

RadioFlyer....I will also add that the image you showed doesn't appear to have too much in the way of dynamic range that would need an HDR treatment. Plain dng/raw would be entirely sufficient for an excellent image.

I noticed it the first time I flew it and have done some adjustments in the camera, which has (almost) eliminated it. I have done some post processing panoramic shots and had to tweak them slightly, but the camera honestly seems to get better the more I use it.
Jim,
Can you share what changes you made to dampen the problem? Not sure why it only happens with DNG files and not JPEGS but it's very frustrating. The video has been working great as well (although mastershots needs some fine tuning).
Thanks!

RadioFlyer....I will also add that the image you showed doesn't appear to have too much in the way of dynamic range that would need an HDR treatment. Plain dng/raw would be entirely sufficient for an excellent image.
akdrone,

This is true but each of the brackets had the same issue and I was trying to find a solution to tone it out with no luck..

Also the Mini 2 handled it with no issues. Hoping DJI can get an update out there soon b/c I can't use the stills like this. Video is Per the manual pg70, the Mini3 does not apply any auto HDR if you are using manual white balance or the camera is in Pro mode or various other conditions. I loathe the idea of "auto" HDR and did not realize it was something the Mini3 did. Apple's pro iPhones also do that with no option to turn it off at all. Absolutely NOT pro. In any case, I'd try a few AEB with the HDR disabled and then create HDR if needed in a third party program. I'd be a nickle that would solve the issue and it would be my preferred choice anyway, never wanting my camera to do it "for" me.

Jim,
Can you share what changes you made to dampen the problem? Not sure why it only happens with DNG files and not JPEGS but it's very frustrating. The video has been working great as well (although mastershots needs some fine tuning).
Thanks!
When I took it up the first time the photos were a mess - way too bright and the colors were off. I had seen some stuff others had posted and knew it could do better. I then set it on auto, but reduced the exposure by 1/3 stop. That seemed to help. Tonight I took it out at sunset with the camera on pro mode and adjusted the exposure compensation as needed to get a dramatic sky shot. Not spectacular, but I was pleased. I do note the vignette a bit, but it is easy to fix in lightroom and I even did some 2 and 3 shot merges in lightroom which came out without any vignetting. For the first time in ages, I tried an HDR in Lightroom and it was OK - would get lots of likes on Facebook, but the colors were slightly off and it had that 'fake' look. I am hoping they will come up with an adjustment. I wish I had more time to play with this thing (and I wish my flymore packet would arrive so I could have a couple of batteries. I really like the pro mode ease of Exposure Compensation adjustment. These are dark photos and I could have lightened them up, but then the sunset looks washed out and it certainly wasn't washed out in my eyes. It was our first 90+ day and there was visible murk over the lake.

Attachments

• Straigh from the Camera DJI_0047-Edit.jpg
    Straigh from the Camera DJI_0047-Edit.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 9
  • Adjusted DJI_0047-Edit.jpg
    Adjusted DJI_0047-Edit.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 3 shot merger DJI_0040-2-Pano-Edit.jpg
    3 shot merger DJI_0040-2-Pano-Edit.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 9
Reactions: RadioFlyer
Does anyone else have the Vinetting problem with DNG files on the mini 3 pro?
Have you tried processing the files in a different program like Capture One Pro or On1 Photo Raw? Even though Adobe is the defacto image editor sometimes it doesn’t play nice. LR is the third of three choices (four if you include Photoshop) I use for raw processing.

What is your first choice? I have used some other stuff, but am used to the Photoshop line. Would consider something else.

Have you tried processing the files in a different program like Capture One Pro or On1 Photo Raw? Even though Adobe is the defacto image editor sometimes it doesn’t play nice. LR is the third of three choices (four if you include Photoshop) I use for raw processing.
No, I have only used LR & PS so far.

When I took it up the first time the photos were a mess - way too bright and the colors were off. I had seen some stuff others had posted and knew it could do better. I then set it on auto, but reduced the exposure by 1/3 stop. That seemed to help. Tonight I took it out at sunset with the camera on pro mode and adjusted the exposure compensation as needed to get a dramatic sky shot. Not spectacular, but I was pleased. I do note the vignette a bit, but it is easy to fix in lightroom and I even did some 2 and 3 shot merges in lightroom which came out without any vignetting. For the first time in ages, I tried an HDR in Lightroom and it was OK - would get lots of likes on Facebook, but the colors were slightly off and it had that 'fake' look. I am hoping they will come up with an adjustment. I wish I had more time to play with this thing (and I wish my flymore packet would arrive so I could have a couple of batteries. I really like the pro mode ease of Exposure Compensation adjustment. These are dark photos and I could have lightened them up, but then the sunset looks washed out and it certainly wasn't washed out in my eyes. It was our first 90+ day and there was visible murk over the lake.
Here are some more I took this afternoon from the lighthouse across the street from my house. I was hoping the new firmware update would correct some of the issues, but this is what I got. All at different exposures SOOC (and one pano) not sharp at all. Video is fantastic but TBH as a real estate photographer, the MLS photos is what I do most. I really wish they would address this.

Attachments

• DJI_0105.JPG
    DJI_0105.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 2
  • DJI_0104.JPG
    DJI_0104.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 3
  • DJI_0102.JPG
    10 MB · Views: 0
  • DJI_0101.JPG
    DJI_0101.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 2
  • DJI_0100.JPG
    DJI_0100.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 2
  • DJI_0099.JPG
    DJI_0099.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 2
  • DJI_0098.JPG
    DJI_0098.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 2
  • DJI_0097.JPG
    DJI_0097.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 2
  • DJI_0096.JPG
    DJI_0096.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
  • DJI_0106.JPG
    DJI_0106.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 2
Actually the light was good. Here's a direct comparison of the the Mini 3 Pro with the Mini 2 within 5-10 minutes of eachother. Not sure how hight the res is on this site but the mini 2 was shot in 3 brackets & the 3 pro with 5. I did not edit anything after I merged the brackets. In this case the mini 2 is the better bird for this application. Yes the mini 2 appears closer but I had to fix the verts and it cropped it in more. If I had done the same for the 3pro the vinetting would be less noticeable for this comparo.
I know you're a RE photographer. Is vignetting of the sky REALLY a problem for your agents? I can imagine that if the features of the property are highly vignetted it would be a problem. I've done professional photography for a lot of years and have always thought that subtle vignetting would bring the eye into the main features and subjects. Of course too much or vignetting in the wrong places is not a good thing. And of course I haven't seen more than a few of your images. While I can't remember which of the programs I might use for vignette correction I know that it can be done (automatically?) if you have a pre-programmed recipe. I'm sorry I don't have more specifics to offer. But I'll share them down the road if I can find them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu