DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro vs. Mavic 2 Pro

Marty Markoe

Reactions
Site
www.martymarkoephotography.com
This thread is only for those who've flown Mavic 2 Pro and subsequently flown Mini 3 Pro. I'm Part 107 certified and I've happily flown Mavic 2 Pro with Smart Controller for over 3 years. No crashes and only swollen batteries replaced by DJI. As a serious photographer also pleased with quality of images.

Will be traveling to Europe this summer and considering acquiring Mini 3 Pro with Controller with built in screen. Correct me if wrong, but I believe an under 250 gram drone does not require registration?

What features, image quality and control differencear will there be?

Reactions: FrankIII
...Will be traveling to Europe this summer...Correct me if wrong, but I believe an under 250 gram drone does not require registration?

The drone itself of any weight is never registered in Europe... it's you as the responsible drone operator that is (operator can be a different person than the drone pilot).

Drone operators for all drones needs to be registered, the only exception is if the drone weigh below 250g & don't have a camera or is classified as a toy.

The drone pilot in turn then need to take & pass a web test if the drone weigh more than 250g

So if travelling to Europe with a sub 250g drone with a camera not classified as a toy, you need as a minimum register as a drone operator, but recommend that you also do the online test anyway, this to be sure about any regulations that needs to be followed regarding distances, heights & flights near not involved people.

All is here --> Do I need to register my drone? | EASA
and here --> Drone operators & pilots | EASA

So with all this... you could stick with your M2P & don't need to buy a Mini 3 Pro.

This thread is only for those who've flown Mavic 2 Pro and subsequently flown Mini 3 Pro. I'm Part 107 certified and I've happily flown Mavic 2 Pro with Smart Controller for over 3 years. No crashes and only swollen batteries replaced by DJI. As a serious photographer also pleased with quality of images.

Will be traveling to Europe this summer and considering acquiring Mini 3 Pro with Controller with built in screen. Correct me if wrong, but I believe an under 250 gram drone does not require registration?

You need to get the eu license

I own an M2Pro and love it. Last year I went to continental Europe (EASA regs). I bought and took a Mini 2, because the Mini 3 was not available at that time. I never regretted bringing the Mini 2. The ease of packing it and its small size were a huge benefit the whole trip.
Since then I have bought a Mini 3 Pro. The M3P is quieter than either of the other two (more innocuous), still has the size advantage, is sub-250g, and takes great video/photos. The perfect storm.

Reactions: chiangmaicharlies
The drone itself of any weight is never registered in Europe... it's you as the responsible drone operator that is (operator can be a different person than the drone pilot).

Drone operators for all drones needs to be registered, the only exception is if the drone weigh below 250g & don't have a camera or is classified as a toy.

The drone pilot in turn then need to take & pass a web test if the drone weigh more than 250g

So if travelling to Europe with a sub 250g drone with a camera not classified as a toy, you need as a minimum register as a drone operator, but recommend that you also do the online test anyway, this to be sure about any regulations that needs to be followed regarding distances, heights & flights near not involved people.

All is here --> Do I need to register my drone? | EASA
and here --> Drone operators & pilots | EASA

So with all this... you could stick with your M2P & don't need to buy a Mini 3 Pro.
This is useful. But I am not clear if getting registered for one EU country (e.g. Switzerland) would enable me to fly in others too or do I need a separate one registration for each location that I intend to fly? And most of the information appears to pertain to local people. What about foreigners visiting these locations? Any special rules? What about insurance? Comments welcome!

This is useful. But I am not clear if getting registered for one EU country (e.g. Switzerland) would enable me to fly in others too or do I need a separate one registration for each location that I intend to fly? And most of the information appears to pertain to local people. What about foreigners visiting these locations? Any special rules? What about insurance? Comments welcome!
It's enough to register & do the online test in any of the European countries... it's then valid in all other. No special rules for foreigners & no requirement of a insurance either.

Reactions: badshah
It's enough to register & do the online test in any of the European countries... it's then valid in all other. No special rules for foreigners & no requirement of a insurance either.
Thank you!

The registration is based on EASA (defining the rule for pretty much all european countries - without UK e. g.).
The basic rules for flying are identical for all of these countries, but take care of I dividual subsets of rules for different countries. E. G. for Italy I just realized VLOS ends at 200m (not allowed to go further), whereas Germany does not have such hard limit (just defining VLOS).
Try to check for drone rules for the country you would like to travel.

When thinking about a Mini vs. a Mavic, there is a EASA limitation of flying "not closer than 150m" to living areas, industry, people etc for the models above 250g, whereas a Mini theoretically (please don't nail me) can fly more or less close as you want (still not above) private properties. So, having a Mini for travelling makes life a little easier.

Anyhow - easy to register and to pass the online test. ;-)

Enjoy your trip!

I still love my Mini1 for travelling.

Reactions: badshah
one EU country (e.g. Switzerland)
Switzerland is not a member of the European Union because it has chosen not to join the EU. This decision is based on a long history of political, economic, and cultural differences between Switzerland and the EU.
Switzerland is a sovereign state and has a long tradition of neutrality. The country also has a direct democracy where citizens play a strong role in decision-making. These factors have led the Swiss population to vote against EU membership in multiple referendums.
Additionally, Switzerland has a special economic relationship with the EU. While not a member of the EU, Switzerland has a close relationship with the Union through bilateral agreements. These agreements allow Switzerland to participate in some aspects of the European single market and to have access to EU programs and funds.
Overall, there are several reasons why Switzerland is not a member of the European Union but still works closely with the EU.

& no requirement of a insurance either.
You do need legal liability insurance (I use "Coverdrone", €20.58 a year).
You must register the Mini 3 and put the registration number on the drone (you can register the Mini 3 in any EU country, it's not free in all EU countries).
Under 250 grams you do not need a flight certificate (no online test).
I do not know what the rules are in none-EU countries in Europe.

You do need legal liability insurance (I use "Coverdrone", €20.58 a year).
You must register the Mini 3 and put the registration number on the drone (you can register the Mini 3 in any EU country, it's not free in all EU countries).
Under 250 grams you do not need a flight certificate (no online test).
The insurance part may differ in certain EU countries (even though I haven't found one yet...) but you never need to register "the drone"... it's you, (if you're the responsible for the flight), that needs to register as an operator... & that number goes on the drone. So if you have several drones the same number goes on all of them.

Whether the country is member of EU or not is not important. Most non-EU countries in Europe (like Switzerland and Norway) are member of EASA (European Union Aviation Safety Agency), and they share most of the same rules and regulations. For example here is what you need to know when visiting Norway with a drone:

I have never flown a M2P but have flown M1P, MPP and M3Ps so please take or leave my advice, In UK even with a 249gr drone you have to register for Flyer ID and display the OP ID on drone, you do that by logging in to CAA Site at the cost of £10
In Fact all of Europe demand that you are registered and follow the above rules

I would also check the country you are flying for the Drone with camera rules because some countries will let you fly a drone with a camera as long as you apply for a authorisation document and that can take up to 7 days to get it

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrktn
I have never flown a M2P but have flown M1P, MPP and M3Ps so please take or leave my advice, In UK even with a 249gr drone you have to register for Flyer ID and display the OP ID on drone, you do that by logging in to CAA Site at the cost of £10
In Fact all of Europe demand that you are registered and follow the above rules
This is because it has a camera. You don’t need a pilot ID for a drone under 250g, only a GBR operator ID through the CAA as Norbert says.

The operator ID must be displayed on the main body of the drone, which can be inside the battery Housing.

Hope this helps

We had a long conversation about this last year. Look for travel to Europe.
Essentially you need to take the EASA course and then test - I took it online from Luxembourg since it was in English. That gets you the certification that you know the rules.
Then you have to register as an operator with any country in the EU. I chose Germany because that's where I was headed. You provide them with proof of your EASA certificate, then you have to provide details on insurance. It used to be a million Euros coverage but the last I looked it was "only" 300,000 euros - has to cover personal and property.
Hot tip - you cannot get insurance from any EU country if you don't live in the EU. I'm saving you a lot of time looking here. In my case my homeowners covers me oddly enough.
Then with all that you wait for approval and they issue you your operators ID. The last 3 or 4 characters are "secret" and you don't give them out unless called for - as example you put in your operator ID without the secret part in your drone RID.

Oh, and you have to have a fireproof tag on your drone with your operator ID. I got some really nice ones from Drohnen.de that has both my FAA and EU Operator ID on it.

As someone who travels frequently to EU with a fleet of DJI drones including M2P and M3P, I have to say M3P is no rival of M2P as the former is limited by the 120m altitude ceiling In EU.

Only on open sea, M3P can go beyond 4km with good signals (recording coastal scenery). It is basically a Mavic Mini In all other circumstances with obstructions and interference because of 120m altitude limit.

As someone who travels frequently to EU with a fleet of DJI drones including M2P and M3P, I have to say M3P is no rival of M2P as the former is limited by the 120m altitude ceiling In EU.

Only on open sea, M3P can go beyond 4km with good signals (recording coastal scenery). It is basically a Mavic Mini In all other circumstances with obstructions and interference because of 120m altitude limit.
How much of a limitation does this really turn out to be in practice with a camera drone? While imagery way up there over 300' has some interest, the vast majority of practical subject matter is 50-200' most of the time. Especially on vacation.

This doesn't seem like much of an issue for most recreational flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada