DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 pro vs Mini 2 in image quality and range?

PeteGSW

Reactions
Hi. I have the mini 3 pro and really like it but wondered if the mini 2 would do for me to be honest. In don't us riot much and maybe I could do with a less highly specified model. I only shoot photos in RAW. The range and the quality are good enough for me on the mini 3 pro but wondered how it compared to the mini 2? (I am not bothered about the RC controller so don't need that either way). The main thing I am interested in is range and image quality. Thanks!

I've had both. I see no jaw-dropping changes in still image quality, other than I've now got nearly two stops better low light performance.

Also, the vertical gimbal capability increases your still image pano capabilities substantially. In my Nikon world, I nearly always shot my panos in portrait mode. Free megapixels.

I'm glad I upgraded. The main differences are in the video modes and obstacle avoidance. I wouldn't want to go back to the Mini 2

The Mini 3 is only my second drone, so usual grain of salt applies.

Last edited:
The Mini3 with the DJIRC controller flies noticeably smoother than the Mini2. I think the difference in imaging is negligible. The Mini3 with an extended battery flies almost forever. Being able to look almost straight up has its advantages. I don’t see a lot of difference in in my range but the 3’s RC strength seems to drop off a bit sooner.

For me vertical capture is meaningless.

Reactions: PeteGSW
The Mini3 with the DJIRC controller flies noticeably smoother than the Mini2. I think the difference in imaging is negligible. The Mini3 with an extended battery flies almost forever. Being able to look almost straight up has its advantages. I don’t see a lot of difference in in my range but the 3’s RC strength seems to drop off a bit sooner.

For me vertical capture is meaningless.
Hi Vindibona1:

I am suddenly considering purchase of a mini 3 pro for travel. The reasons are its smaller profile , easier to hide in luggage, lower weight, etc. I already have my Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 RC Pro controller and love it. Naturally, I am wondering if the RC Pro controller is compatible with the Mini 3 and some research on the forum has shown that it is now compatible. Maybe you can confirm that.

In addition, do you know of any way I can not have to purchase the RC controller and save some money by using my superior RC Pro controller? Where to buy- e.g.: Amazon, DJI, Best Buy- willl they sell Mini 3 only without controller.

Dale

Hi Vindibona1:

In addition, do you know of any way I can not have to purchase the RC controller and save some money by using my superior RC Pro controller? Where to buy- e.g.: Amazon, DJI, Best Buy- willl they sell Mini 3 only without controller.

Dale

sure...DJI sells the drone only (with a standard battery) for $669.

https://store.dji.com/product/dji-mini-3-pro?vid=113961

same price at Adorama for new Mini 3.

and you can buy extra batteries in a lot of places: $65 for standard battery and $95 for Plus battery

you might consider just paying the extra $90 for the RC-N1 just to have a back-up RC....assuming you don't already have one

Hi Vindibona1:

I am suddenly considering purchase of a mini 3 pro for travel. The reasons are its smaller profile , easier to hide in luggage, lower weight, etc. I already have my Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 RC Pro controller and love it. Naturally, I am wondering if the RC Pro controller is compatible with the Mini 3 and some research on the forum has shown that it is now compatible. Maybe you can confirm that.

Dale
I believe as of 2 months ago the RC pro is now compatible with the Mini3.

If I may suggest, buy the Mini 3 alacarte and some time xtra batteries andvv CV props. The RCN1 extended batteries have incredible flight time if weight isn’t an issue where you are going. I have one regular battery and two extended batteries. In my case, I bought the flymore plus kit with two extended batteries. If I travel out of the country where I need to stay under 250 g I’ll spend the $65 and buy one more regular battery. If you’re flying in the US the extended batteries are the only thing that makes sense to me.

You might make a quick call to DJI to make sure the RC pro is compatible with the Mini3, but I’m pretty sure it is.

I keep being amazed by this little drone but I’m not sure if my enjoyment of it is due to the drone itself or the DJIRC controller. Honestly it’s the smoothest flying I’ve ever done. I suspect that the DJIRC takes some of the qualities of the RC pro that is reputed to be smoother flying than standard controllers. do you have any confirmation on that?

Reactions: Rchawks

If I may suggest, buy the Mini 3 alacarte and some time xtra batteries andvv CV props. The RCN1 extended batteries have incredible flight time if weight isn’t an issue where you are going. I have one regular battery and two extended batteries. In my case, I bought the flymore plus kit with two extended batteries. If I travel out of the country where I need to stay under 250 g I’ll spend the $65 and buy one more regular battery. If you’re flying in the US the extended batteries are the only thing that makes sense to me.

You might make a quick call to DJI to make sure the RC pro is compatible with the Mini3, but I’m pretty sure it is.

I keep being amazed by this little drone but I’m not sure if my enjoyment of it is due to the drone itself or the DJIRC controller. Honestly it’s the smoothest flying I’ve ever done. I suspect that the DJIRC takes some of the qualities of the RC pro that is reputed to be smoother flying than standard controllers. do you have any confirmation on that?
Yes, the RC Pro IS compatible with the Mini 3 Pro. It shows up with the 2S and M3 on the connection screen.

I've had both. I see no jaw-dropping changes in still image quality, other than I've now got nearly two stops better low light performance.

Also, the vertical gimbal capability increases your still image pano capabilities substantially. In my Nikon world, I nearly always shot my panos in portrait mode. Free megapixels.

I'm glad I upgraded. The main differences are in the video modes and obstacle avoidance. I wouldn't want to go back to the Mini 2

The Mini 3 is only my second drone, so usual grain of salt applies.
Don't have a Mini 2 so can't comment about that but I agree with Lister about shooting panos in vertical mode on the Mini 3 - I find I don't have to do as many rows because of the ability to shoot vertical.

Chris

Hi Vindibona1:

Dale
Yes, the Mini 3 is compatible with the RC Pro. I use my RC Pro with my Mini 3 and it works great and is the only controller that I fly my Mini 3 with. I switch back and forth between my Mini 3 and my Mavic 3 all the time on the RC Pro.

I purchased my Mini 3 as a drone only option without the controller, however I did have problems getting it to bind with the RC pro and after numerous calls and chats with DJI, I ultimately had to use my old RC-N1 controller from my Mavic 3 to update the firmware on the Mini 3 so that it was compatible with the RC Pro. My firmware was current on my RC pro at the time and the Mini 3 Pro firmware was not (out of the box) so they could not talk to each other. After I used my RC-N1 to update the firmware everything worked and I was able to bind the Mini 3 to the RC Pro. I have had no problems since and it is a joy to fly the Mini 3 Pro with the RC Pro.

Chris

I'm curious...what do you mean by "smoothest flying"...?

I'm curious...what do you mean by "smoothest flying"...?
As you may know that interesting footage comes from complex maneuvers. For example holding yaw while moving sideways, or repositioning the drone while holding the yaw and possibly increasing altitude while possibly at the same time adjusting the gimbal's pitch. Any combination of stick inputs at the same time. I have a MUCH easier time making complex maneuvers without creating jerkiness in my footage. Sometimes I'm a little over-agressive with the sticks and have to go back and refly a clip.

In contrast, my Mini 2 with the RCN1 controller had/has dead spots in the stick action, so smooth, input and drone response was much more challenging in keeping things flowing with no jerky movements. No matter how I adjusted EXP, pitch/yaw on the Mini 2 it was always a challenge to keep everything smooth. The sticks on the DJI RC seems to be more linear and easier to fully control. Is it the drone or the controller? I think it's the DJI RC which has controls similar to the RC Pro which is reputed to be smoother flying as per the DJI website.

At some point I'll experiment with my RCN1 and the Mini 3, but probably only when I want to fly FPV which I can't do with the DJI RC because it has no external outputs to viewing devices.

Reactions: moldorf
As you may know that interesting footage comes from complex maneuvers. For example holding yaw while moving sideways, or repositioning the drone while holding the yaw and possibly increasing altitude while possibly at the same time adjusting the gimbal's pitch. Any combination of stick inputs at the same time. I have a MUCH easier time making complex maneuvers without creating jerkiness in my footage. Sometimes I'm a little over-agressive with the sticks and have to go back and refly a clip.

In contrast, my Mini 2 with the RCN1 controller had/has dead spots in the stick action, so smooth, input and drone response was much more challenging in keeping things flowing with no jerky movements. No matter how I adjusted EXP, pitch/yaw on the Mini 2 it was always a challenge to keep everything smooth. The sticks on the DJI RC seems to be more linear and easier to fully control. Is it the drone or the controller? I think it's the DJI RC which has controls similar to the RC Pro which is reputed to be smoother flying as per the DJI website.

At some point I'll experiment with my RCN1 and the Mini 3, but probably only when I want to fly FPV which I can't do with the DJI RC because it has no external outputs to viewing devices.
thanks!

I have a Mini 2 and a Mini 3. I use and RC-N1 with a Tripltek 8". I've directly compared the Tripltek to the RC and I much prefer the brightness of the Tripltek and the screen size that is more than 2.2 times larger. I know the RC-Pro is much brighter than the RC, but it's still not as bright as the Tripltek and of course, there is the screen size issue

I guess that's kind of a tangent to controlling the drone in a smooth fashion, although being better able to see on the screen seems like it would be a factor in control/response

I will say that with the RC-N1 I did notice that the Mini 3 seemed a bit more responsive and fluid in flight than the Mini 2.

thanks!

I have a Mini 2 and a Mini 3. I use and RC-N1 with a Tripltek 8". I've directly compared the Tripltek to the RC and I much prefer the brightness of the Tripltek and the screen size that is more than 2.2 times larger. I know the RC-Pro is much brighter than the RC, but it's still not as bright as the Tripltek and of course, there is the screen size issue

I guess that's kind of a tangent to controlling the drone in a smooth fashion, although being better able to see on the screen seems like it would be a factor in control/response

I will say that with the RC-N1 I did notice that the Mini 3 seemed a bit more responsive and fluid in flight than the Mini 2.
I like a larger screen myself most of the time. I have an iPad Mini 6 while not as bright as the tripltek it isn't a boat anchor either, requiring a heavier mounting bracket as well. In fact the iPad 6 can be mounted on the RCN1 with a small plastic clip that weighs next to nothing. While brightness can be a factor most of the reflection and lack of brightness can be overcome with a screen shade. I wish I could find a photo of it, but I made an elongate shade for my iPhones that I could just put my face in and lack of brightness was no longer an issue. Dragging it along was more effort than it was worth, but it worked well.

I'll have to link my Mini 3 and RCN1 so I can fly that combo before the weather really turns and everything here gets super ugly until we get a good snow worth filming or the spring comes.

AND doing this mostly with one hand! Left hand fingers contorted into a weird position, some requiring movement, while other fingers tolerating absolutely none. I invariably introduce unwanted movement in one or more axes when attempting this kind of compound move.

At the risk of repeating myself, just imagine if the gimbal tilt could be moved to the right hand scroll wheel, leaving just altitude and pan on the left hand. This would be both cognitively and physically MUCH easier for the operator, especially since altitude and gimbal tilt require very precise coordination, yet use completely different control actions.

A simple firmware change is all it would take. Nothing else. This, IMHO would make a tremendous difference in operability.

As you may know that interesting footage comes from complex maneuvers. ...

I agree but (at least for me) often the most interesting footage comes from the simplest movements. Hanging in place for 35+ minutes waiting for just the right moment for a sunset, boat to go by, lightning strike, bridge to open, etc. is awesome in a <$1k drone.

I can't go back to a simpler drone.

Reactions: Coskier
I fly the mini 2 with goggles, the mini 3 didn't offer me any advantages over the 2 for what what I use it for other than the camera moving up. But for what I do with the mini 2 just flying around and through things in my neighborhood, haven't felt the need to upgrade yet.

just flying around and through things in my neighborhood, haven't felt the need to upgrade yet.
An Avata would change your world.

Not to mention FPV. And I'm not even considering the whole domain of Manual mode. I'm thinking just N/S flight.

The camera sensor is better than the Mini 2, and boy can you fly THROUGH things!

I hear ya, been wanting to get the old FPV drone, the funky looking one, saw a video on youtube where in manual mode some guy was constantly hitting over 100mph with his, man that would be waaay more fun to mess with the crackheads in my neighborhood over my mini 2. I mean the mini 2 always gets a great rise outta these worthless losers, but ****, with the FPV, they would think they've been buzzed by the aluminum falcon. Flying FPV is the way to go, I used to fly my older drones from the phone hooked into the controller, but once you go FPV, flying like that just lacks in every single category, litchi is where its at.

Hi. I have the mini 3 pro and really like it but wondered if the mini 2 would do for me to be honest. In don't us riot much and maybe I could do with a less highly specified model. I only shoot photos in RAW. The range and the quality are good enough for me on the mini 3 pro but wondered how it compared to the mini 2? (I am not bothered about the RC controller so don't need that either way). The main thing I am interested in is range and image quality. Thanks!
Lot of replies here and i didnt read thru them all so forgive me if this has already been said…
if you have the Mini 3 already, dont trade it in for the mini 2. You’ll get maybe half your investment back (if anything) and a smaller sensor.
i have a mini 2 and am thinking at some point i may replace it with a mini 3 pro because of the larger sensor and portrait mode capabilities.
mini 2 takes great photos but resolution is not as good as 1” sensor.
one more thing i forgot- mini 2 can use Litchi , Mini 3 cannot.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato