DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro: With or Without DJI RC controller (with built-in Screen)

CJG

Reactions
Morning folks,

I am on the cusp of buying a Mini 3 Pro, but I can't decide whether to get the version with the "normal" controller (that works with phone) or the version with the RC controller (that has a built-in screen).

I know having the built-in screen would be more convenient; but I have read this screen isn't all that bright and is difficult to view in bright conditions.

Having said that, after flying my Mini 2 last week with my dedicated iPhone 7, that phone pretty hard to view as well!

Any thoughts?

I have the DJI RC (with the screen) and I wouldn't go back. Flying my Air 2S feels like a massive faff now with having to get phone out, set airplane mode, connect USB, fight with the phone mount, and launch DJI Fly.
Compared to: turn on controller, turn on drone, fly.

Yes, the screen isn't the brightest - about the same as my iPhone 12 Pro Max to my eyes - but it can maintain that brightness for the entire battery. My iPhone frequently overheats and dims the screen.

I have read this screen isn't all that bright and is difficult to view in bright conditions
The same can be said about nearly all mobile devices. Even those that tout they are the brightest aren't very easy to see in sunny conditions. I think the trick is to try to stand in a location where the sun is not beating down onto the mobile device screen (when possible).

I have the DJI RC (with the screen) and I wouldn't go back
Same. It's a really nice device. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
I just bought a 3 with the normal controller - (mostly because it was cheaper.!).. People keep saying it's great not to have to use a phone but as far as I know - you still need a phone near the RC controller (as a hotspot for mapping). I have subsequently listened to many reviews and also seen reports here of freezing and other issues with the RC one... so all in all I'm totally happy with the normal controller. I have my phone with me anyway - and have created a way that turns of any interruptions when I am using the DJI app. I am sure the RC one will improve with updates but the normal one seems rock solid to me. All that is nothing to do with screen brightness, but it might be worth looking at videos about other RC controller issues.

Reactions: CJG and Faster
you still need a phone near the RC controller (as a hotspot for mapping)
This would only be true if you did not have the maps cached in DJI Fly. I guess the advice here would be to ready your equipment before you head out to fly.

This would only be true if you did not have the maps cached in DJI Fly. I guess the advice here would be to ready your equipment before you head out to fly.
Get it - thanks. That's helpful for when I eventually get one!

Reactions: CJG
Morning folks,

I am on the cusp of buying a Mini 3 Pro, but I can't decide whether to get the version with the "normal" controller (that works with phone) or the version with the RC controller (that has a built-in screen).

I know having the built-in screen would be more convenient; but I have read this screen isn't all that bright and is difficult to view in bright conditions.

Having said that, after flying my Mini 2 last week with my dedicated iPhone 7, that phone pretty hard to view as well!

Any thoughts?
I normally use the iPad mini but now I have the new RC I would not go back to using the iPad mini, cheers Len

have to say that having the Mini 3 with the new RC controller,is a real game changer for ease of use, and is well worth the extra cost involved

I like the RC with screen. A bit less fiddling on the start. Virtually the same size as the RC-N1 (based on pictures, anyway) so no more space in my bag. Brighter than my phone, and saves the phone battery for other tasks (important on a hike).

I am riding the same fence regarding to choose the RC controller, or the “normal” one. My primary hangup is, if I understand correctly, no third party apps such as Litchi can be loaded on the RC. Of course, I can add those to my phone and fly with the normal controller.
Can anyone confirm if my understanding is correct?

Reactions: CJG
I have the DJI RC (with the screen) and I wouldn't go back. Flying my Air 2S feels like a massive faff now with having to get phone out, set airplane mode, connect USB, fight with the phone mount, and launch DJI Fly.
Compared to: turn on controller, turn on drone, fly.

Yes, the screen isn't the brightest - about the same as my iPhone 12 Pro Max to my eyes - but it can maintain that brightness for the entire battery. My iPhone frequently overheats and dims the screen.
It’s not that bad to use your phone. But I’d still rather have it built in to controller.

Thank you, but still wondering if third party apps can be loaded on the RC controller with screen?

As of right now, third party apps cannot be loaded onto the RC, which is driven by Android. I believe that in the past, with other similar controllers, that functionality came later. There are tons of YouTube videos with step by step instructions. I tried it with the DJI RC and received errors.

All the expensive. The best controllers in the world have built in displays. I love my new mini 3 with my new controller. It only takes minutes to fly and with my mini SE it seems like I fumble around for 10 or 15 minutes before I can get it in the air

As of right now, third party apps cannot be loaded onto the RC, which is driven by Android. I believe that in the past, with other similar controllers, that functionality came later. There are tons of YouTube videos with step by step instructions. I tried it with the DJI RC and received errors.
I think those videos on installing third-party apps are relate to the RC Pro Controller, not for the RC Controller sold with the Mini 3.

I have both RC and RC-N1. As many people wrote already, RC with screen is the best controller for Mini 3 Pro. Tried couple times RC-N1 and found it bulky and inconvenient.
I'm a newbie with total flight about 100km only. Those who need maps while flying, how you use it? I clicked on map icon may be couple times and found it useless. I fly by camera. Drone cannot fly behind the obstacles, so why i need map to fly?
Today i've flew over the sea to the nearby island ~6km away with DJI RC controller. Pretty much satisfied with range.

Reactions: bonzo
While it could be nice to have ability to install 3rd party apps, original app is supporting all features of Mini 3 Pro with adequate interface. What 3rd party app can offer? Some auto-pilot by way points? I don't need it. I enjoy manual fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54