DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3

Wild_Bill

Reactions
The lens cover my mini 3 pro fell off (photo shows (24 F1.7) and I can’t get it back on. Doesn’t seem to effect photos or videos. Can I replace it or live with it.
TIA

Attachments

• F27EF3EC-B7CD-4DC7-8FEB-19E1825F41BD.png
    F27EF3EC-B7CD-4DC7-8FEB-19E1825F41BD.png
    502.8 KB · Views: 69
@Wild_Bill you need to hold the camera level have the lens cover turned slightly anticlockwise
and it will fit into some cutouts around the lens then gently twist it clockwise to lock it in position
just make sure that the lens is clean and also the inside of the cover ,before you attach it

I'm curious as to what makes it difficult to get back on? The cover attachment is a simple design. There is a hook on the top of the cover and two "balls" that pop into two holes underneath. Did the plastic distort in some way? Are the three points of attachment still on the cover or did something break off? I would not leave the gimbal unprotected.

I'm not surprised it doesn't affect photos or videos. It's just a hole surrounded by plastic. There's no lens, or anything, in the centre.

It is basically an ornamental ring. I keep an UV filter on my 2S to protect the lens.
In addition to lens protection, more than a cover, I think it's main purpose is a lens shade as the gimbal moves. It has an interesting terraced design to help prevent reflections. It might get more reflections if that bevel was smooth.

It is basically an ornamental ring. I keep an UV filter on my 2S to protect the lens.
The cover isn't designed mainly to protect the camera, but to protect the gimbal. The gimbal is very delicate and easily damaged and the most expensive part of the drone to repair.

If one was looking for an alternative to the cover, one could use a lens hood instead, though the front would still be open, but at least the camera/gimbal would be partially protected. I have one of these and got it to use if I ever thought there would be a chance of a face-first collision. Lens hoods saved my gimbals on my last two Minis.

1661990280869.png

The cover isn't designed mainly to protect the camera, but to protect the gimbal. The gimbal is very delicate and easily damaged
I agree, with regard to all previous DJI drones, with the vertically hanging gimbal.

I'm quite optimistic this double arm horizontal design is substantially more robust, thereby surviving accidents and other impacts much better, not so easily damaged 🙂

I'm pretty sure it's the reason they didn't bother with a locking cover... doesn't need it.

Reactions: Torque
I hated the lens hood at first, but it's growing on me. The inside lens as stated ls designed to support the gimble. I did try inserting the foam piece for support but I didn't like seating that each time. I'm not backpacking it so it should be fine.

Pretty sure the OP was on about the small removable front part of the camera module as they reference the "24 F1.7" text on it, and not the large transparent gimbal cover.

My default lens protector is now the CPL filter from a sunnylife ND set. It takes the lens down by approximately 1 stop which is so slight you'd never notice it (about the same amount of light reduction from a UV filter). As an added bonus: with the addition of a layer of optical glass instead of the daft, unglazed stepped hole in the DJI lens cover, the lens has stopped fogging in cold conditions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy