DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 4...Black face or White face?

MurMan

Reactions
On the verge of ordering a iPad Mini 4 as they are getting rave reviews and a bigger screen would be nice. I see the Space Grey case unit comes with a black face, while the Gold and Silver units have a white face. I am wondering which one is preferred and why? While I am here, I will say I have read a lot of comments about disconnects with S7 and similar phones. My experience has been great...once I learned to turn off Bluetooth and use Airplane mode, and change to a good quality USB cable.
Your advice on colour selection would be greatly appreciated.

The ONLY problem I have ever had with the iPad Mini 4 is that if used in DIRECT sunlight on a hot day in the summer time, it can overheat and turn off automatically. Mine has the black face. I would assume the white face would absorb less heat and take a little longer to shut-down, so I would buy the white face if I could do it over again.

If you prefer the black face one, buy the white face one and I'll trade with you, no charge! :D

Reactions: MurMan
No performance difference in regards to color of face. Be flying all of my DJI crap with a min for a while with no issues.

Reactions: JMF and MurMan
The ONLY problem I have ever had with the iPad Mini 4 is that if used in DIRECT sunlight on a hot day in the summer time, it can overheat and turn off automatically. Mine has the black face. I would assume the white face would absorb less heat and take a little longer to shut-down, so I would buy the white face if I could do it over again.

If you prefer the black face one, buy the white face one and I'll trade with you, no charge! :D
That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Wonder if there is any excess reflections from the white on a sunny day..? Black should be better for less contrast from edge to screen image too I would think.

On the verge of ordering a iPad Mini 4 as they are getting rave reviews and a bigger screen would be nice. I see the Space Grey case unit comes with a black face, while the Gold and Silver units have a white face. I am wondering which one is preferred and why? While I am here, I will say I have read a lot of comments about disconnects with S7 and similar phones. My experience has been great...once I learned to turn off Bluetooth and use Airplane mode, and change to a good quality USB cable.
Your advice on colour selection would be greatly appreciated.

I've got the white since I preferred the look. If you're going to buy a mini then make sure you also buy a Sun Hood. It only cost $16.

N.ORANIE Remote Controller Phone Monitor Sun hood Sunshade Cover for DJI SPARK/MAVIC PRO Inspire 1 2/ PHANTOM 3 4/M600 OSMO Accessories(L168mm Black) | Mavic World

Last edited:
Reactions: JMF
As a photographer I’ve always preferred black bezels. I find them less distracting than white reflecting light back at me.

Reactions: wytnyt and JMF
I can't remember, but it seemed like black bezel iPhones/ipads/ipods used to boot up with a black screen and a white apple while the white bezel devices would start up with a white screen with a black apple. I can only see that the negative would be that the white screen would use more power as it is booting up. If that is a negative, it is a very small one. The bezel color has ZERO effect on my flying since I don't notice it in the least.

I went the black as I felt it would be less distracting. I live in Seattle so overheating the iPad would be a rarity.

It is all personal preference, I have a RC hood too, only used it once. Usually just stand in the shadow of a tree or building. I did get an antiglare film screen protector though, makes it lot easier to see in bright sun lite. most of my flying is early morning or evening so bright sun usually isn't and issue. Never had a problem with overheating. If it is too hot for the iPad, it is definitely too hot for me.

As a photographer I’ve always preferred black bezels. I find them less distracting than white reflecting light back at me.
I'm an "old" photographer as well and that was one of the reasons I posted this thread as I couldn't find much on here except for one case of a black bezel overheating, but that was in AZ I think. Black is what I am leaning toward for the very reason you mentioned but wanted to solicit a few opinions. As you well know, most 35 mm photo gear is black.

I'm an "old" photographer as well and that was one of the reasons I posted this thread as I couldn't find much on here except for one case of a black bezel overheating, but that was in AZ I think. Black is what I am leaning toward for the very reason you mentioned but wanted to solicit a few opinions. As you well know, most 35 mm photo gear is black.
A also fly with a sunhood on the iPad (although I try to stand in shade, too, if practical), so that shields the bezel from getting hit with direct sunlight. I've not had an overheating problem, but then again, I'm a long way from Arizona!

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you
Not worried, just curious what other enthusiasts were using. If one had a distinct advantage, that's the one I would choose. I also realize some, if not most iPad Mini's were perhaps bought after the fact, and were picked up as a "used" item, so bezel colour was what was available. If I were buying a used 2 or 3, it wouldn't be a deciding factor, but since I am cashing in "points" for a new unit, I may as well buy the most popular and useful model for flying. No worried here in Eastern Ontario about overheating either. It was -30 C on Jan 1st., way told cold on the fingers to think about flying ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143