DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini and Anafi anyone got both?

Drony_Drone

Reactions
Wondering if anyone has a Mavic Mini as well as Anafi.

Wondering what you think of them both - equal, better one way or other?

I’m deciding on one, I know more in here will say Mini but wondered if anyone has both and can comment.

It’s for general personal use, nothing fancy, flying over coast mainly. Had a Bebop 2 but finding the video quality a bit poor now comparing to other drones. I know Anafi is 4K but the Mini 2.7K is massive step up and expect be enough.

Thanks

I would spend a little extra and get a mavic platinum/pro or air. If you are short on money check into refurbished models or look around on marketplace for a used one. The mavic mini for the most part is more of a toy drone..

Reactions: pelagic_one
I would spend a little extra and get a mavic platinum/pro or air. If you are short on money check into refurbished models or look around on marketplace for a used one. The mavic mini for the most part is more of a toy drone..

Don’t want to spend that much tbh. The Air looks good, but the flight time isn’t enough in my opinion, whereas Anafi or Mini is decent.

How is Mini like a toy? Much better specs than Bebop 2. As say it’s for casual personal use only.

Well ... the 2 typical specs valued by perhaps not so experienced is claimed flight time & how far you can fly.

It's a bit like saying that a brand new beefy Mercedes isn't as good as a Fiat from the 70:ties because the Fiat have a larger fuel tank (sorry for the excessive comparison :D ).

Just to rule out the battery time issue with a MA ... I have 4 batteries, that will give me around 1 & half hour of drone fiddling (flying+preparations).
Have never felt that 16 min real life flying time per battery isn't ok ... then that times 4.

And for distance I can easily fly (with FCC mode hack) 1000 meters in suburban areas & 2500 meters on the country side without loosing connection...

Beside battery life you also have:
-Features and specs
-Build quality and durability
-Piloting, control, and autonomy
-Camera and accessories

Of these categories both the Parrot Anafi & DJI Mavic Mini falls flat.

Mavic Air behaves like a larger Mavic, no drawbacks there ... cuts like a knife through equal winds as for the larger. This together with a travel friendly size, outstanding build quality, fully fledged flight control interface (GO4), all settings you need from the camera ... all this with the vague drawback of a shorter battery life.

Without mentioning what's going on over at the Mavic Crash & Flyaway Assistance section on this forum with uncommanded descents & blow away's I would chose a MA, MP or a MPP over a Mini any day.

its,not really fair to call the MM a toy it may have small dimensions but it has capability way beyond a toy drone
and if used in an appropriate manner it is a very capable flying camera
its biggest downside is its weight in an effort to keep weight to a minimum some of its functions have been compromised
it fills a niche market as it avoids some of the requirements for drone registration but at a price

its,not really fair to call the MM a toy ...

Agreed ... but I think the Mini is the new Tello due to price level (reachable) which in the Mini's case means that the ability for 500 meter altitude & 2500 distance have become reachable ... & it's here the risks rise.

Reactions: old man mavic
The 16m battery of the Air also isn’t 16m. This is ideal conditions, and then there is need to get back with 15-20% back for safe flying in my opinion. This cuts actual flying time right down to so Stu that is very short actually in the air.

Yes can have 10 batteries, but if they are short actual flying time it the process of back and forward, swap out, checks etc every battery swap. Some maybe ok, I’d rather have say 20m actual flying over maybe 10m on Air.

I’ve read the Air is very noisy as well, maybe not an issue to some, but again the quieter the better really.

I’m worried on the Mini for the wind resistance. As you say I’m reading on fly seats etc, and where I want to fly, coastal areas in worried it won’t cope, even using UAV etc to check.

Won’t be buying MP/MP2 as too expensive for me to lose and justify for what I’ll use.

Thanks

The 16m battery of the Air also isn’t 16m. This is ideal conditions, and then there is need to get back with 15-20% back for safe flying in my opinion. This cuts actual flying time right down to so Stu that is very short actually in the air.

Yes can have 10 batteries, but if they are short actual flying time it the process of back and forward, swap out, checks etc every battery swap. Some maybe ok, I’d rather have say 20m actual flying over maybe 10m on Air.

I’ve read the Air is very noisy as well, maybe not an issue to some, but again the quieter the better really.

I’m worried on the Mini for the wind resistance. As you say I’m reading on fly seats etc, and where I want to fly, coastal areas in worried it won’t cope, even using UAV etc to check.

Won’t be buying MP/MP2 as too expensive for me to lose and justify for what I’ll use.

Thanks
Your going to pay $500.00 for a mini when you save $200.00 more and get this?

Your going to pay $500.00 for a mini when you save $200.00 more and get this?
The Mavic Pro camera just plain sucks though. I honestly think the Mini's is better, and that's even with all the options the Pro gives you to shoot in.

Reactions: xspwhite
The Mavic Pro camera just plain sucks though. I honestly think the Mini's is better, and that's even with all the options the Pro gives you to shoot in.
Oh... I didn't know that about the pro camera. I guess he should just get a mini then.

Last edited:
Also, the Air is a fantastic drone, but two things really annoy me about mine. That 16 minute flight time is more like 12 to 14 if your flying with any sport mode. Also the gimbal is just kind of useless when yawing in sport mode. Might as well fly a Spark. It does have plenty of features and a fantastic camera. And it really is quite a hot rod.

I have a friend with an Anafi, and they've really improved that drone since it was introduced. It flies well and has a fantastic app with a ton of features. It's flight time is only about 16 minutes though. I always toy with the idea of buying one, but I have way to many quads as is.

The 16m battery of the Air also isn’t 16m. This is ideal conditions ... I’d rather have say 20m actual flying over maybe 10m on Air.

:) Sorry but it's here you get it wrong ... according to ideal circumstances you could get 21 min ... but under real life I get around 16 min... so only 10 maybe ... as you say then those batteries are shot.

Also the gimbal is just kind of useless when yawing in sport mode...

And you mean by that ... yawing?
The Mini suffers in the exact same way from a positive limited gimbal max angle up to keep props out of picture when in Sport with max drone pitch angle down going forward.

...That 16 minute flight time is more like 12 to 14 if your flying with any sport mode.

And you're comparing apples & apples? Any drone flying in sport mode will suffer from lowered battery life ... even more a Mini with a smaller pitch angle the need of sport mode is greater to fight winds.

Last edited:
Reactions: ssvdh66
And you mean by that ... yawing?
The Mini suffers in the exact same way from a positive limited gimbal max angle up to keep props out of picture when in Sport with max drone pitch angle down going forward.
Actually I meant to say, rolling left or right, not yawing at all... and no the mini doesn't suffer from that at all.

Reactions: Thanev
:) Sorry but it's here you get it wrong ... according to ideal circumstances you could get 21 min ... but under real life I get around 16 min... so only 10 maybe ... as you say then those batteries are shot.
I'm not quoting DJI specs when I say 16 minutes. I realize that DJI quotes 21 minutes under ideal circumstances. My personal best, under ideal circumstances was 16 minutes or so. 12-14 on average with 20 percent battery left.

I'm not quoting DJI specs when I say 16 minutes. I realize that DJI quotes 21 minutes under ideal circumstances. My personal best, under ideal circumstances was 16 minutes or so. 12-14 on average with 20 percent battery left.
Yeah .. I saw that, I was quoting the OP.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3