DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini-Me!

Chaosrider

Reactions
When my plans to get a DJI FPV got indefinitely suspended, I turned my meager drone purchasing power in a different direction.

I bought a used Mini-1 Fly More Combo.

Then, I bought a Mini-SE.

I now have one of each model of Mini that’s ever been made! So, you can now call me…

Mini-Me!

😉

Of course, I’m a tad over the 250 g limit, at 220 lbs, so calling me a "Mini" might be misleading, but we can set that aside…

By coincidence, I was able to pick up both the Mini-1 and Mini-SE at my mailbox place on the same day:

Flight of Two.jpg

I picked them up on the way to dinner at the Overland in Gardnerville, Nevada. I eat there often enough that they let me swipe two tables to set up a little drone display, with the Mini-1, the Mini-SE, and the little H823H. This is part of my Grand Plan to promote my Drone Lending Library for kids. It turns out one of the people sitting next to me had a Mini-2, and my display sparked a conversation. I got him to take a picture of the Nerd in Drone Heaven:

Nerd in Drone Heaven.jpg

Here’s the scene from my perspective. Note the Great Enabler in the lower left:

Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

The Great Enabler, of course, being my wallet, which is seriously disabled after this indulgent double drone purchase! Which I don’t regret for a microsecond. And here they all are, with the Mini-1 on the left, then the SE, then the -2:

True confessions: There’s no Mini-2 in that box. That’s because, at that time, the Mini-2s were all in the hanger:

Left to right, that’s Enterprise, Defiant, and Phoenix. Among other things, I now need to get serious about creating more hanger space. But I had to put them all on display at least once:

Mini Row Profile.jpg

Hence…Mini-Me!

I’ll do a little unboxing and flight description for both of them later. I invite suggestions for tests that I might run, to do direct comparisons of the three versions on the same day, with the same pilot and phone, in the same place. Should be fun!

Are there any other Mini-MEs out there, people who have all three mini Models on active flight status?

1649443632495.png

MM (formerly TCS)

Reactions: 4006448
iu

Update 22-04-09

I've now flown both the Mini-1 and the Mini-SE. Some highlights:

1) I was having a devil of a time getting my phone in the holder for either of them yesterday. However, when I noticed the picture of the full assemblage on the Mini-SE box, I had an idea of what it should look like. The holder folds out in a much more elaborate "jaws of life" manner than I realized. Having seen the pic, and opening the jaws to their widest, getting the phone hooked up was a piece of cake.

2) When I flew the Mini-1 yesterday, it was stuck in what I thought to be "Beginner Mode", limiting me to 90 ft high (ATO), and 120 ft away. But it was actually thinking that it had a payload. I'm pretty sure the previous owner used the prop guards, so it was probably residual from that. I went to check in Fly, and the "Payload" mode was already off. When I flew it today, the flight restrictions were gone. There was too much wind to go very far or high though. I got up to 150 ft high (ATO), and 200 ft away, and then came home.

3) The Mini-1 is not a "windless wonder" as some have suggested, meaning that it can't handle any wind as all. It doesn't have anything like the wind resistance of the Mini-2, but it can fly fine in modest winds, if you respect its limitations.

4) The Mini-SE didn't ask me to calibrate the compass when I first fired it up, which struck me as a little odd.

I wanted to get another Mini-SE flight in today, but the winds are kicking up beyond prudent levels even for the Mini-2, so I'm probably going to be weather-grounded for the next week. But who knows? Forecasts are frequently wrong, particularly around here, and particularly at this time of year.

All Minis are good!

1649535739661.png

MM

Mini-1 Price Watch

Thrifty Drone just put up a used Mini-1 FMC for $279:

It will be interesting to see if Mini-1 prices go up or down, as the temp warms up.

Thrifty Drone also has a Mini-1 basic kit for $209.

This one has been listed for a while.

Just FYI...

MM

Why the abandonment of the FPV acquisition?

My prediction is it will be the drone you fly the most, if you get one...

Why the abandonment of the FPV acquisition?

My prediction is it will be the drone you fly the most, if you get one...
You may be right about that.

I had something very specific that I wanted to do with it. I wanted to get a second pair of goggles so that I could give demonstrations and flying lessons to other people. It turned out that there are signal quality issues to the second pair of goggles that has no clear path to resolution. Plus every time I looked more closely, it got more expensive. The Care Refresh alone is $200, which isn't much less that what I just paid for my Mini-1 FMC.

And, in the immortal words of the Python:

It's not dead; it's just resting!

I definitely still want to get it, but I need to get some income first...

Besides, I may have three more Minis that I need to get soon...

;-)

MM

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair