DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini payload mode

Shashadoobie

Reactions
New to the mini but not to flying. Discovered the payload mode by accident online. Does anyone know how much weight over the 249 grams of the mini that would trigger this mode? I want to add a strobe or extended landing gear but not at the expense of limiting my flight distances or height. Thanks!

It doesn't take much! Mine will auto switch to payload mode frequently. I am @ 6200' altitude, may have something to do with it even though well below specs. If I increase altitude quickly it will switch to payload mode.

It doesn't take much! Mine will auto switch to payload mode frequently. I am @ 6200' altitude, may have something to do with it even though well below specs. If I increase altitude quickly it will switch to payload mode.
What is payload mode, like extra power or motors are overloaded?
Also when do you switch to payload mode?

Due to lock down I fly only indoor and the bird detect automatically payload from propeller's guard which weight (one piece): 23.1 g.

e nu, eu zbor numai de la geam in fiecare zi
i fly almost every day from my window, in urban area
pm me

Reactions: Zen Fly
I'm not sure at what weight payload mode automatically activates, but you can disable payload mode while in flight after it automatically kicks in. Yesterday I was practicing the video modes with the prop guards on. I disabled payload mode and was able to do the "dronie" shots at any distance.

Whether the payload mode activates or not, adding anything to the MM (including the prop guards) raises the weight above 250 grams (even skins I am told). I also would like to add lights and extended legs in case I have to land in a dusty area.

I'm not sure at what weight payload mode automatically activates, but you can disable payload mode while in flight after it automatically kicks in. Yesterday I was practicing the video modes with the prop guards on. I disabled payload mode and was able to do the "dronie" shots at any distance.

Whether the payload mode activates or not, adding anything to the MM (including the prop guards) raises the weight above 250 grams (even skins I am told). I also would like to add lights and extended legs in case I have to land in a dusty area.

Thx, I didn't knew about deactivating paylod mode.

Anyway, there are countries, like mine, where minimum limit for registration is 500gr.

Fly safe.

Reactions: WooZie

Now that's interesting, almost like the ESC sees how much "load" the motors/props are under, and responds accordingly, even though no "payload" is involved, other than the thinner air.

Thanks for the information... the landing skid and strobe I am adding in 18 grams so I just didn’t want to be up and out and have an issue. I’ll post a pic of the setup I put together for my mini.

New to the mini but not to flying. Discovered the payload mode by accident online. Does anyone know how much weight over the 249 grams of the mini that would trigger this mode? I want to add a strobe or extended landing gear but not at the expense of limiting my flight distances or height. Thanks!
This is what I came up with for the landing gear & strobe...

Attachments

• 73625186-3C25-4AD2-A78A-06907294917A.jpeg
    73625186-3C25-4AD2-A78A-06907294917A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 66
  • 78223E1C-391F-4328-A881-C73B923A57FD.jpeg
    78223E1C-391F-4328-A881-C73B923A57FD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 65
  • 2D0597C5-A24A-4F6A-9B76-2B5E27A2B053.jpeg
    2D0597C5-A24A-4F6A-9B76-2B5E27A2B053.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • 7A91859F-7CE1-4A9C-85CB-1C2D41155406.jpeg
    7A91859F-7CE1-4A9C-85CB-1C2D41155406.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • 532EDDF4-23D4-4ABD-9314-3E8CAF391D84.jpeg
    532EDDF4-23D4-4ABD-9314-3E8CAF391D84.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
Reactions: Quarath
Strobe and landing gear does not activate load mode on my mini. It did kick in regularly, with no load, requiring rear prop change.

So which parameter in the MM triggers the payload mode? RPM on the motors? On some of the motors? Power consumtion?
I have the impression (very subjective) that after the recent FW update the payload mode kicks in more often. I usually fly with a landing gear (the one that connects front and back legs), and now PL mode kicks in almost every time, whereas before the FW update I did not see it with the landing gear alone.

Reactions: Capt KO
I was hoping 18 grams wouldn’t mess it up... especially since the prop guards are 48ish grams to start with. Wish after buying the thing I could just fly it how I want to. The strobe helps me against a grey sky, adding to my LOS, and if I don’t hand catch it I’d rather not plant the gimbal in wherever I land it at. Thanks for everyone’s input!

Reactions: Capt KO
So which parameter in the MM triggers the payload mode? RPM on the motors? On some of the motors? Power consumtion?
I have the impression (very subjective) that after the recent FW update the payload mode kicks in more often. I usually fly with a landing gear (the one that connects front and back legs), and now PL mode kicks in almost every time, whereas before the FW update I did not see it with the landing gear alone.
I was hoping 18 grams wouldn’t mess it up... especially since the prop guards are 48ish grams to start with. Wish after buying the thing I could just fly it how I want to. The strobe helps me against a grey sky, adding to my LOS, and if I don’t hand catch it I’d rather not plant the gimbal in wherever I land it at. Thanks for everyone’s input!
Yes, it is checking motor output (rpm and power draw) to enable Load mode. Strobes and/or landing gear should not kick it in by themselves. It’s Usually an early warning of rear prop failure. Changing them should fix it. Did mine for same ‘Load’ problem that began almost immediately. All good now ?
Good luck. ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242