DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini Pro 3 heating while station - getting to grips with it

Nickyb65

Reactions
Hi,

Updated my MP3 to the latest firmware today, have not flown it, just getting used to the RC controller, setting that up.

I noticed that after about 10 mins or so I get a warning that it needs to shut down because its getting too hot. I'm guessing this is normal
but why does it get so how when its just ideal, is the CPU/Camera etc doing a lot of processing that it heats up?

My solution to extend the time before a shutdown is a USB desktop fan which is blowing into the front 'intake' seems to work okay.

Nick

Reactions: Maxi1960
the fan fix is something that many of us have been doing for a long time ,especially since the advent of the Mini family of drones that don't have a cooling fan built in

Reactions: Nickyb65
There is no cooling fan on the Mini 3, so when updating firmware it can get very hot. When flying it relies on its movement through the air to cool it. And when flying one must be aware of the outside temperature as if very hot it could potentially cause a mid-air shutdown. So if you're flying on a particularly hot day I suggest you keep your batteries cool until you have to insert them and fly.

Anecdotally, last year I was flying a job and had my Mini 2 and Mavic 2 Pro. It was a very hot day. Stupidly on my part they were both "staged" on hot asphalt pavement and I failed to recognize that there could be a potential problem. Interestingly, when it was time to launch my Mavic 2 wouldn't go, but my Mini 2 had no issues and luckily I had it there and ready for backup. I'm not sure what would have happened were I to have had the Mini 3 instead of the Mini 2.

There is no cooling fan on the Mini 3, so when updating firmware it can get very hot. When flying it relies on its movement through the air to cool it. And when flying one must be aware of the outside temperature as if very hot it could potentially cause a mid-air shutdown. So if you're flying on a particularly hot day I suggest you keep your batteries cool until you have to insert them and fly.

Anecdotally, last year I was flying a job and had my Mini 2 and Mavic 2 Pro. It was a very hot day. Stupidly on my part they were both "staged" on hot asphalt pavement and I failed to recognize that there could be a potential problem. Interestingly, when it was time to launch my Mavic 2 wouldn't go, but my Mini 2 had no issues and luckily I had it there and ready for backup. I'm not sure what would have happened were I to have had the Mini 3 instead of the Mini 2.
Thanks for the in-depth reply. Yes, I look out for hot days in future.

7CA5305A-8309-402A-BE13-B43F1C30CF76.jpeg
I use a very small usb fan I kept from my now sold sailboat, an Aukey power bank (usb output) that one of my sons gave me for travelling, and that’s it. It will run for hours before dying…the PB has 4 leds that indicate battery 🪫 strength and the fan puts out a good wind 💨. ✅

Oh Ya…it’s portable too. 🙃

View attachment 154337
I use a very small usb fan I kept from my now sold sailboat, an Aukey power bank (usb output) that one of my sons gave me for travelling, and that’s it. It will run for hours before dying…the PB has 4 leds that indicate battery 🪫 strength and the fan puts out a good wind 💨. ✅

Oh Ya…it’s portable too. 🙃
Good idea with the power bank, will use that also when out and about if I need to link before flight for sometime before going airborne.

When I was just sitting at my desk with the PC and I'm downloading files from my Mini 2, I noticed that it heated up and since I do not like heat and electronic (heat sinks were probably built for flight with air moving over the drone) and heat and plastic (because it can cause warping and premature "ageing" of the plastic), I built myself a "cool box".

I found a used laptop cool pad (a short flat stand for the laptop to sit on with three small fans) that plugs into the USB port for power. I took a small plastic container and installed two of the fans onto the sides directed so they sucked in fresh air and the third fan on the top of the container with that fan directed so it blew the air out (actually upward…) and I place the drone on top of the container and plug the Cool Box into my PC for power and there is always a cool breeze blowing cool air into the belly of my drone and no matter how long it takes to perform a quick transfer, it never heats up…

Pretty Cool, Huh?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa