DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini RC battery drains in 30 minutes

miker570

Reactions
My mini RC has started dropping from full charge (4 white leds) to 1 in a single flight. The RC has worked fine since November when I first bought it, until just recently. I’m using the same iPad mini 5 and cables since day one.

Is there any way to get a replacement RC battery or does the RC need to be replaced? I haven’t opened a support ticket with DJI yet, but I will do so soon if there are no other options.

Another note on this, when the RC drops to 1 LED it starts issuing a warning beep when connected to my iPad. When I connect the RC to my charger it shows 3 solid LEDs and 1 blinking during the charge. Does this indicate the battery life is gone or something else wrong?

Does it never go 4 solid LCD when in charge?

Yes when first connected to the charger the initial test shows 3 solid LEDs and the 4th blinking, when it starts charging it shows fast charging, all 4 LEDs blink, scrolling 1 to 4 as normal. Once the charge is complete all 4 LEDs are solid.

It all seems normal until flying, when it quickly drops from 4 to 1 and starts beeping.

Make sure what ever Device your using Ipad, iphone ect is fully charged. otherwise sometimes your controller will charge your device.

other ipad users might have some ideas as well, will have to wait and see.

The iPad mini 5 is full charged, never drops below 90%. It has a 2500ma battery that can run a long time before needing a charge.

It would be nice if the iPad could charge the RC when the RC battery gets down to the warning level, but the iOS USB negotiation prevents that.

interesting. I have always used my iPhone X and never had an issue. Like I said hopefully another ipad mini users and add some advise. it may be as simple as a setting. never know.

The question I have is why does the RC report a battery level below 25% when connected to my iPad, and shows >75% when reconnected to the charger? The iPad never charges from the RC.

I am doing a test to leave the RC powered on without being connected to anything and see how long it takes to drain. I suspect the RC battery has some issues. I don’t know if it can be replaced.

could be a software issue with the ipad app. not all devices apps are created equally, specially between iPhone and ipad.

I completed a couple tests. With the RC powered on and not connected to anything (no usb/OTG ) and not connected to the AC there was minimal battery drain on the RC.

I powered up the AC along with the RC, and again with no USB/OTG, and the RC battery drained quickly, down to 1 LED in 30 minutes.

If I power off the RC, the RC battery test shows 3 LEDs of power 75%, but once it powers up and pairs with the AC it drops quickly again.

Is the RC battery going bad after 4 months? Or something else causing the RC to not read the battery voltage correctly? Can the RC battery be replaced?

Reactions: Badpump
Here’s a video of the issue.. started in the depleted state just 1 LED. Powered off and battery test shows 3 LEDs. Powered back on and once paired with the AC the RC drops to 1 LED in about 3 minutes.

I’d contact DJI and ask them. If you post on a DJI forum their customer support will probably read it.
While I don’t have a mini I would imagine the design is similar To my Mavic two in terms of the battery.

Reactions: s2seyecle
did you check for firmware of the RC in DJI Assistant - if it is the last firmware try flashing it again and check afterwards how it behaves?

Do you have a phone you can use in place of the iPad ? If so see if it has the same issue.

Like I had previously mentioned, this could be do to a software issue, I would triple check all your firmware and update everything.

Like I had previously mentioned, this could be do to a software issue, I would triple check all your firmware and update everything.

My MM and RC are up to date running firmware 1.00.04? This issue was first noticed 2 days ago, nothing has changed since the last firmware release.

Is there a way to force reload of the firmware?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143