DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini RC (black one) not charging the phone after 1.4.8 DJI Fly and Firmware update

selimcambaz

Reactions
Dear all,

First of all, we have been flying Mavic Mini for a couple of months now. We used the Mini for aerial photohraphs during our fieldwork last month and it has performed remarkably, to say the least.
Now after this short introduction, last week we connected two different phones (Iphones) to fly the Mini and both of them failed to charge from the RC. Since we use the Mini in the field, our phone batteries are not generally fully charged since we use them for GPS, maps etc. it is important for us to charge the phones from the RC (which will last much longer than the phone(s)). This (not charging the phone) was not an issue during our fieldwork last month, the phones started to charge automatically as soon as we connect them to the RC (regardless of them being Iphones or Androids). I have checked the forum for this particular issue and could not find a satisfactory answer, hance this post.

As far as I understand, there was an overheating problem due to this auto-charging and the most recent update corrected/tried to correct this. However, it appears that Mini 2 Fly App interface have an option under Control > Remote Controller which appears to activate and deactivate Phone Charging which is missing from the Mavic Mini interface. DJI Fly App we use (1.4.8 of course) have only Stick Mode and RC Calibration options under Control > Remote Controller. We tried this on two different IPhones. We are confident that there is no problem with the RC USB port and Connection cable since the image transmission and other features are functiononing without any problem and as soon as we connect the cable, the Iphones go into charging mode but only for a second.
We restarted RC, Mini and the phones, re-linked the aircraft with the RC. re-checked firmware update for RC and the Mini both from the app and also from DJI Assistant 2. Everything seems up-to-date. But none of the mentioned steps neither let RC to charge the phone automatically nor option to enable/disable phone charging appeared on the App settings under Control.

Furthermore, said toggle is not available with the Mini RC even after uninstall and re-install. Before connecting the RC, if I choose a model other than Mavic Mini or Mini SE (those with the black RC), for example if I choose Mini 2 or Air 2S (grey controller) without connecting my Mini controller, the interface changes/adapts to grey controller and phone charging toggle appears. However, even if I enable the toggle in this view and then connect the Mini RC, the interface changes back (to black RC model, as it should be) and charging disables. This may mean that the DJI Fly application disable the charging by default and as there is no way to activate this feature with the original Mini or Mini SE RC (the black one) the application would require another update.

Is it possible that the Mini RC was overlooked during this update and phone charging was disabled completely for this type/version of RC. I would like to hear your feedback.

Thank you all in advance,

Sincerely,

Selim Cambazoglu

Hello from the Crossroads of America selimcambaz.

If the battery switch was in the app on a previous version, perhaps you could roll back to an older version of the app and get it back?

Here are some older versions on this APK mirror site.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum. ?

Dear MA2 317,

Thank you for the download link, but I believe these area for android devices. I think I may have to find a way to downgrade for Iphone.

Also, RC used to charge the phone by default, so I never checked if there was a "Charge Phone" switch before. I think I'll look around some more. I'll post here if I find a solution.

Thank you once again,

Sincerely,

Selim

Dear MA2 317,

Thank you for the download link, but I believe these area for android devices. I think I may have to find a way to downgrade for Iphone.

Also, RC used to charge the phone by default, so I never checked if there was a "Charge Phone" switch before. I think I'll look around some more. I'll post here if I find a solution.

Thank you once again,

Sincerely,

Selim
There is no downgrading the Fly App on the iPhone, just make sure your iPhone is fully charged before you fly and you should not have any charging issues.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom