DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini-SE First Test Flight

Chaosrider

Reactions
22-04-08

Here’s the vid (2 in 1!) of Exocomp’s first flight. Exo is my new Mini-SE.

Warning Note: Don’t attempt this unless you have a reasonable amount of drone time, and drone wind flying. Build up your wind flying skills incrementally.

22-04-08 Exo First Flighs.mp4

The wind was highly questionable for this test flight, as you’ll soon see. But with the forecast the way it was, it was either do it this day, or wait a week. I figured I’d go out and see what it was actually like, and decide from there.

One of my “missions” with this flight was to debunk the myth that the Mini-SE/Mini-1 can’t handle even a slight breeze. In that sense…Mission Accomplished! But the wind was far too strong and squirrely for me to actually go anywhere.

Takeoff: Check out the wind in the pine tree in the upper left.

00:18 This is my secondary camera, which I set up to film this flight. I’ve included that camera’s vid, at the end of this combined vid.

00:44 Pulled Exo back to the wind protected area next to the garage, where I was sitting.

00:57 Second take-off, more wind.

01:16 Exo dances around a bit in the wind, and I pull her back

01:30 Timid trip part way out the driveway

03:00 Vid from the second camera starts. Exo shows a bit of wind-wiggle, but not close to out of control.

03:48 You talkin’ ta me?

04:00 Note wind and lack of lack of control

04:48 Wind gust, just for context

07:04 Note the motion of the SE during the wind gust. Not a wind environment for the timid, but not close to out of control either.

End: Exo exits stage left to complete her timid mission to go out to the end of the driveway and back, 3 -4 ft off the deck, which she did.

The moral of the story is, if you’re considering getting a Mini-SE, ignore the scare stories that you’ll sometimes see here about the Mini-SE being unusable except in no-wind conditions. That notion is a total myth, and today, I’m the Mythbuster!

1649878338673.png

MM

Good stuff,I'm pretty happy with my SE ,this clip at 6min onward shows the mini in a good wind,myself would not fly incase rth cant handle the wind to come home,but it sure holds itself,,no not my vidio......you live in a nice area looking at the surroundings

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff,I'm pretty happy with my SE ,this clip at 6min onward shows the mini in a good wind,myself would not fly incase rth cant handle the wind to come home,but it sure holds itself,,no not my vidio......you live in a nice area looking at the surroundings
Good stuff!

I couldn't hear the audio in the first part of the vid, where you were looking at both a Mini-1 and Mini-SE in their boxes. Are those both yours, or...?

I see that you struggle to get the phone cleanly attached to the RC, just like I do. I'm starting to get a little better at it, with practice. The Mini-2 controller is vastly superior.

The hardcase that comes with the Mini-1 FMC rocks! Way better than the softcover that comes with the Mini-2 FMC.

You were a lot more daring than I was, but in a way, it made for a better demo.

The Mini-SE is not a Windless Wonder!

Fly on!

1649883594824.png

MM

22-04-08

Here’s the vid (2 in 1!) of Exocomp’s first flight. Exo is my new Mini-SE.

Warning Note: Don’t attempt this unless you have a reasonable amount of drone time, and drone wind flying. Build up your wind flying skills incrementally.

22-04-08 Exo First Flighs.mp4

The wind was highly questionable for this test flight, as you’ll soon see. But with the forecast the way it was, it was either do it this day, or wait a week. I figured I’d go out and see what it was actually like, and decide from there.

One of my “missions” with this flight was to debunk the myth that the Mini-SE/Mini-1 can’t handle even a slight breeze. In that sense…Mission Accomplished! But the wind was far too strong and squirrely for me to actually go anywhere.

Takeoff: Check out the wind in the pine tree in the upper left.

00:18 This is my secondary camera, which I set up to film this flight. I’ve included that camera’s vid, at the end of this combined vid.

00:44 Pulled Exo back to the wind protected area next to the garage, where I was sitting.

00:57 Second take-off, more wind.

01:16 Exo dances around a bit in the wind, and I pull her back

01:30 Timid trip part way out the driveway

03:00 Vid from the second camera starts. Exo shows a bit of wind-wiggle, but not close to out of control.

03:48 You talkin’ ta me?

04:00 Note wind and lack of lack of control

04:48 Wind gust, just for context

07:04 Note the motion of the SE during the wind gust. Not a wind environment for the timid, but not close to out of control either.

End: Exo exits stage left to complete her timid mission to go out to the end of the driveway and back, 3 -4 ft off the deck, which she did.

The moral of the story is, if you’re considering getting a Mini-SE, ignore the scare stories that you’ll sometimes see here about the Mini-SE being unusable except in no-wind conditions. That notion is a total myth, and today, I’m the Mythbuster!

View attachment 146686

MM
@Chaosrider

Curious as to why you acquired a new Mini SE when (according to your post about your "Hanger") you have Mini 2's.

Is there a feature or functionality that the Mini SE gives you that you can't get with the Mini 2?

Is there a feature or functionality that the Mini SE gives you that you can't get with the Mini 2?

I would guess that the "feature" is it's cheaper to replace the SE verses the Mini 2 when it crashes due to flying it in too much wind, or flying it into "mounted phones" looking for close-up (0:38), or crashing it into the garage (0:47) due to orientation confusion, and I could go on…

If you are going to fly your drones in questionable wind conditions, use the UAV Forecast App to avoid the worst conditions, and learn to read the Attitude and Compass indicator. The Attitude indicator will indicate how hard the drone is working against the wind and it just might save you a Care Refresh Replacement.

@Chaosrider

Curious as to why you acquired a new Mini SE when (according to your post about your "Hanger") you have Mini 2's.

I've built a Drone Lending Library, with drones at different price levels ranging from under $50 (Snaptain H823H) to the Mini-2 at $600 for the FMC.

I originally wanted the Mini-1 for historical completeness, but with the indefinite suspension of my DJI FPV plan, I decided to get the SE as well.

It's one of those situations where you do something just because you want to, and the reason appears later...

;-)

Since I now have a Mini-1, a Mini-SE, and 3 Mini-2s, I'm now Mr Mini!

I can now do tests of possible problems with three different Mini-2s, and tests to compare the versions, because I have one of each. It's highly likely that I'll get the Mini-3 as soon as it comes out. I don't mind being a beta tester, if it comes to that.

I really just got it because I thought it was cool!

:cool:

MM

I would guess that the "feature" is it's cheaper to replace the SE verses the Mini 2 when it crashes due to flying it in too much wind, or flying it into "mounted phones" looking for close-up (0:38), or crashing it into the garage (0:47) due to orientation confusion, and I could go on…
Not at all the case.
The Attitude indicator will indicate how hard the drone is working against the wind and it just might save you a Care Refresh Replacement.
I haven't had to use a Care Refresh since my early training last June/July. I got the Care Refresh on my new Mini-SE (only 29 bucks!), but I suspect I'll never need to use it.

I have been using the attitude indicator more, but not for this purpose. I'm working on a post about "Flying the Mini-2 IFR". Hopefully, some of the folks here will find it entertaining!

1649940088817.png

MM

I have a Mini SE, but have issues around 500m distance at about 30m high, looses Video feed.and initiates RTH, sometimes it regains video feed. My SE uses a fixed frequency of 5.4ghz, no option to change. Is this the same with all SE models. This issue occurs in various locations. I believe it’s associated with the Wi-Fi frequency. 2.4ghz allows for longer distance, but not an option on mine ! Does anyone have an SE with duel frequency ? DJI specs indicate 2.4ghz available. I also own a Mini 2, no issues, different technology.

I have a Mini SE, but have issues around 500m distance at about 30m high, looses Video feed.and initiates RTH, sometimes it regains video feed. My SE uses a fixed frequency of 5.4ghz, no option to change. Is this the same with all SE models. This issue occurs in various locations. I believe it’s associated with the Wi-Fi frequency. 2.4ghz allows for longer distance, but not an option on mine ! Does anyone have an SE with duel frequency ? DJI specs indicate 2.4ghz available. I also own a Mini 2, no issues, different technology.
I think you're low elevation may have contributed to the control range issues. When I did the distance qualification run for Exo, I had her at about 100 meters ATL. No problem going out to 700-ish m. Easier to see in my mountainous environment at the higher elevation too.

During the high altitude (330-ish m ATL, under 400 ft AGL), I got a short blip of a notice that she was having control system connection problem, and was going to stop sending video and RTH. But she didn't. There was a very short blip in the video feed, but no RTH, and I brought her home normally, without incident.

I'll check the frequency band issue the next time I fly her. 2.4 ghz is definitely better for distance.

I have Min-2s also, and have seen no control or signal degradations at distances and elevations much greater than what we're talking about here! That's what Occusync does for you.

I'll post Exo's qualification run vid later today.

Enjoy your new bird! I know that I do!

Thx!

:cool:

MM

Thanks for the info, will try flying above 30m and see if that helps, my Mini SE has only one frequency option - 5.4ghz, no option to change to 2.4ghz or duel frequency. DJI specs show both, so not sure if Country related ! Does not make sense !! I know it is not as good in distance as my Mini 2, but mystified with the one frequency option. It appears there maybe different versions for different countries ?

Thanks for the info, will try flying above 30m and see if that helps, my Mini SE has only one frequency option - 5.4ghz, no option to change to 2.4ghz or duel frequency. DJI specs show both, so not sure if Country related ! Does not make sense !! I know it is not as good in distance as my Mini 2, but mystified with the one frequency option. It appears there maybe different versions for different countries ?
There are a lot of different versions of stuff for different countries.

Check with DJI Support directly. I've found them to be very helpful.

Thx,

MM

Terrible video, you need someone to video for you while you control the AC. also way too long. IMO.

Terrible video, you need someone to video for you while you control the AC. also way too long. IMO.
Well, there is that, but I was glad to see that someone had replicated the results that I got, and the OPs vid does that.

TCS

Well, there is that, but I was glad to see that someone had replicated the results that I got, and the OPs vid does that.

TCS
Ha I'm sure I wrote in #2 ""no it's not my video"" .I used it for a example of wind ,I wont fly in something rth wont work in unless I fly into it even then it have to be good reason
This was just one utube clip that helped me decide on the mini..mini anything cant stand up to much but these mini mavics hold their own to a point and does what I require nowadays,

I cant change mine either here in NZ,only manual or auto on 2.4 channel ,option to change is greyed out,no 5.8 for me

I cant change mine either here in NZ,only manual or auto on 2.4 channel ,option to change is greyed out,no 5.8 for me
Weird ! Your in NZ and can only use 2.4ghz, I’m in AUS and can only use 5ghz. I believe with 2.4ghz you should be able to fly a greater distance, and I believe with 5.4ghz less distance, hence this is my issue ! I wonder why DJI did this ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darksebius