DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini vs mini 2 arm shell

M9x3mos

Reactions
Hello all,
First time posting here. After being a mini owner for over a year now I had my first crash which broke the front right arm. Motor and everything else seems to be fine and can still spin it up. I am wondering if anyone knows if the shell from a mini 2 front arm (no motor or antenna) can be used on the mini. I am thinking I can transplant the antenna and motor to the mini 2 shell and install it back as that is all that is broken. Main reason I ask is I can get a shell set for about 25 $ where the arm with the motor I am finding for about 45 $ shipped.

Have you looked at buying a crashed Mavic Mini with a good appropriate front arm?
Whilst the Mini 2 arm shell might fit and might be better/stiffer than a Mavic Mini arm I am a bit concerned that extracting the antennae may be tricky, ditto refitting the antennae and the wiring including the sleeving in the hinge area.
Does the Mini 2 arm shell include whatever makes up the back of the arm?

Getting a broken one looks to sell for about 100 or up on ebay.
I have asked the seller if the backing is included but it does look like it from the pictures. Popping the antenna out would be a little tricky but I think it wouldn't be too bad. The harder part would be the soldering but I have experience with that on other products. Typically laptops.

For what reason?
Changing for the sake of changing is pointless in my opinion. The Mavic Mini flies perfectly well, within its limitations, with the original arms.
Also I am not sure that the Mini 2 motors are compatible, if not then it might be tricky to swap the motors. Even if they are compatible it would mean the front arms/motors would require Mini 2 propellers or custom made mounting screws.

It is stiffer than mini 1.
I am asking only for plastic part of arms without motors and propellers.
Is there anybody to know for sure in order for me to try out?

I am aware that the mini 2's front arms are stiffer but repeat the Mavic Mini flies perfectly well, within is own limitations. And yes I have both the Mavic Mini (700+ flights) and the mini 2.
So, I would suggest you are considering doing something that will not make a significant improvement to the way the drone flies.....unless you have broken front arms on the Mavic Mini already and need to replace the arms.
However, it is your drone and your money so best of luck either way.

The arms are different but may still work when put on different model. The mini 2 has no bump on the landing gear which may affect the antenna unless you are upgrading to mini 2 antennas (would open can of worms it’s switching to O2). I recommend just getting new mini 1 arm

although the Mini 2 looks identical to the original mini it uses upgraded WIFI different motor prop attachment screws ,different props ,different ESC 's and probably a different main board ,configuration, as well as an upgraded camera ,the arm is stiffer because it uses a different material to cover the back of the arm ,it is much simpler to just replace like for like ,

I am thinking to change the front arms of my mini 1 with them from the mini 2.
Is it possible or not

I do not mean to be rude, but are you crazy? Even if it all fits together perfectly, the motors in the Mini 2 are stronger which give the Mini 2 the ability to fly in "Force 5 Tornados" and the Mini has problems holding its position in a light breeze…

Also, the arm on the Mini 2 is heavier and that extra weight will drive the drone's Accelerometer sensor (for Orientation and Positioning) and its Gyroscope sensor (to Measure and Maintain Orientation and Angular Velocity) off the skids trying to correct the in-balance…

Each motor output (electrical draw) is govern by the Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) as directed by the Flight Controller (FC). The FC generates its flight characteristics based on your inputs from the Radio Controller (RC) and the sensors that determine the GPS position and the Winds effect on holding its postion.

That motor from the Mini 2 is one of four different motors and all four have different part numbers, depending on their installation position, Front, Back, Left or Right.

You can only use an original replacement, none other.

Or you can get cheap, buy and install the wrong arm and motor and after it crashes, you can then buy a new mini for $350.

If you think I'm being hard, it's only because I care…

Reactions: rickmurray1989
I am talking about only the plastic part of arm not the motors not the antenna
Anyway I would prefer if anyone knows for sure to answer to my question.

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
Hello everybody!

So finally nobody gave any kind of answer? I do not understand why people start to discuss whether you must do it or not. I got a mavic mini with front broken leg, and right now, it's impossible to find mavic mini legs here in Europe. Websites with drone parts are out of stock, dunno why. So i have same question, is it possible to replace mavic mini legs with mavic mini 2 legs? Mavic mini 2 legs are sold everywhere: china, ebay, drone-parts sites but mavic mini are impossible to find.

Thank you.

• Wow
Because i don't have time and money to experiment, that's why i ask others if someone did. I've looked for wrecked ones, but there are none here (or for a reasonable price). If it was mine i would try with mavic 2 parts , but it is not. I should repair it quick enough, people will not wait for my experimentations.

• Wow
@DJ1342 ,unfortunately ,the original MM is no longer in production and spare parts are a very low priority ,in the scheme of things ,drones like many electronic consumer things have a relatively short life span ,as they are continually being developed
i purchased my MM when it was first released in November 2019,then a year later, out came the Mini 2 which virtually made my MM obsolete , sad though it is ,manufacturers want you to purchase their latest creations ,not repair older models ,so spares become impossible to obtain

Ok, thank you for reply. That's sad. Like i said if it was mine, i would try to fit mavic 2 legs in mavic mini, pretty sure it's doable since on the photos i saw they are almost identical. Some people say the motor screw holes and antenna compartment are different but nobody say a categorical NO.

Reactions: old man mavic
@DJ1342 ,as others have said ,its not just whether the arms would fit into the original body ,but the compatibility of the electronics to work with the different motors
the simplest and cheapest way to get back into the air ,would to be to purchase a used or refurbed Mini 2 ,and that way you could still use any MM batteries you have and you will have e better platform , i know that when the day comes ,and any misfortune happens to my MM i will have to retire her from my fleet

Ah no, i was talking about plastic piece, all electronics do work. The ony thing is the leg that is broken so i could put all existing electronics into the new leg shell (and eventually change both front legs). Sadly the only possible to find is the leg with antenna and motor. Found one in china that says it's original but i have doubts...

@DJ1342 ,as far as i am aware there has never been just a bare plastic leg replacement made as far as the mini drones are concerned ,it has only been possible to replace the whole leg ,complete with wiring and motor and antenna attached

Sadly the only possible to find is the leg with antenna and motor. Found one in china that says it's original but i have doubts...
I do not know how hard you have looked or if you are just hoping that one "will fall into your lap…" You listed your location is in Europe, I am in the USA and I found this listed on eBay, I do not know if you are located in one of the excluded countries that the seller will not ship to but the Auction Number is in the attachment and the Link is below and you can contact the seller directly.

Good Luck

arm.png

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada