DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mini wouldn't connect after firmware update

Reactions
I got a prompt from dji fly that an update was available, so I did. Watching the update progress in fly all appeared to be well.

When that update completed, checking with fly it appeared there was a second update available so I saw there was no danger and I took the shot.

Then there was the "must be connected to aircraft" or similar message. Repeating the attempt to update gave me the same message and the mini only gave me flashing red light.

I read that having the SD card installed could be a problem so I removed it. This allowed the mini to go through some additional colors of the strobe and ended up with flashing red again.

The app was now stuck on this page:

screenshot_20220108_145920_dji-go-v5-jpg.141505

Instead of the update information it showed my address and some flight info. Nothing I did could get me back to anywhere in the app except for the links on that page and back. This included deleting and reinstalling djy fly.

After a while, I tried again and everything was normal. I think the firmware update was only downloaded and not installed. The SD card somehow blocked the update and removing it allowed the mini to eventually update. A previous update took forever but wasn't affected by the card being in the aircraft.

So it's said that formatting the card in a computer usually solves this problem. My box is a Mac.
Is there an app to format the card on a Mac? I don't have any access to a Windows box. I don't even recall formatting the card in the mini.

I'm really new to all of this and the mini hasn't even left the ground yet. I've run up the props for a minute or two just to see 'em work. I've got a lot more reading to do before even trying to work on muscle memory for the flight controls. Avoiding "won't connect" is #1 on my non-flight Flight Check List. Any suggestions? Thanks!

So it's said that formatting the card in a computer usually solves this problem. My box is a Mac.
Is there an app to format the card on a Mac? I don't have any access to a Windows box. I don't even recall formatting the card in the mini.
The Disk Ultility app in the Utilitites folder on your Mac will format the MicroSD card.

Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 4.20.30 PM.png

Reactions: Nanny Ogg
The Disk Ultility app in the Utilitites folder on your Mac will format the MicroSD card.
Thanks for that! I actually keep DU in the dock as it sometimes gets a lot of use. Now I just have to dig up a dongle that will see an mSD card.

DU shows it's formatted as ExFAT. Any particular format to use? Reformat as ExFAT?

Thanks for the assist!

Before you format the card COPY its contents to somewhere.
Just as a matter of interest I would be inclined to put the card back into the drone BEFORE you format it and see if the connection problem still exists. I do not as a rule update but have a vague recollection that a reboot of the updated device may be a required part of the update. I do not notice mention of a reboot in the first post.
Last time I had this problem I think I narrowed it down to one corrupt video I think removing that fixed the problem. It was panic stations for a while as it was a M2Z I had swapped bits on to test other bits and I thought I had damaged the originals.

Before you format the card COPY its contents to somewhere.
No worries there as nothing in the card. The mini hasn't leff the ground yet so I've taken no pics or video. And I always back up before reformatting a card or drive.

I'll put the card back in without reformatting but I won't know anything until I try the next update. If I do reformat, what format would I use? ExFAT?

As to rebooting a "device" are you talking about my iPhone? Other than turning the controller and mini On/Off/On is there rebooting for either of them? I did reboot the phone after deleting and reinstalling dji fly but that was the only time.

I haven't rebooted anything but I did put the mSD card back in without reformatting and the mini started up fine, but I didn't lift off yet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy